Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad pro charging + usb hub?

Is there any way to both charge and route multiple devices into a Ipad pro (2020) with a single usb c port?

Currently I have an anker powered usb with the Ipad as host, a keyboard and audio interface hanging off the hub. Works beautifully, but I can't charge the Ipad at the same time.

Any ideas? I think it's impossible, and I just charge the Ipad after a "session" but want to ask explicitly.

Tx!

Comments

• Have a look at the Kingston Nucleum USB-C Hub. It offers a USB-C power line, USB-C port and two regular USB ports.

• wwswws
    edited December 2021

Maybe a weird question: why would this both charge and route data when my anker hub doesn't?

Thanks!

• @wws said:
    Maybe a weird question: why would this both charge and route data when my anker hub doesn't?

Thanks!

I have no idea. The Nucleum has a USB-C charging port on it. It’s the bottom left in the photo i attached.

• Can you run keyboard and audio interface from the Ipad at the same time as you charge the Ipad?

The anker can either charge or route data but not at the same time.

Thx!

• edited December 2021

Yes. The dedicated power allows me to route to audio interface and connected USB keyboard, while charging the iPad.

I use it all the time with my AudioHub and Launchpad devices. The Nucleum has been a great little HUB when i want a small device with sufficient I/O for my needs when traveling light.

For my larger setups with external synths i just use my traditional Anker HUB connected to the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit—and feed USB-C power to that dongle.

• @wws said:
    Can you run keyboard and audio interface from the Ipad at the same time as you charge the Ipad?

The anker can either charge or route data but not at the same time.

Thx!

That sounds odd, as @echoopera says the nucleum and most hubs offer data and charging simultaneously. Are you powering the hub via the usb-c port labelled PD? Maybe give more details of your hub?

The good news though is, yes, you can charge and route multiple devices at the same time.

• So, if I want to midi route my external keyboard (Roland 61 key A800) using AUM, I need to plug my Ipad Pro Usb into the "host" part of the usb hub where there is no charging. If the Ipad is plugged into the charger part of the usb hub, I don't see the external keyboard in the midi routing matrix thing. Does that make sense?

My usb hub is an anker sold by sweetwater.

• Which Anker model is it? Do you have a link to the HUB?

• @wws said:
    So, if I want to midi route my external keyboard (Roland 61 key A800) using AUM, I need to plug my Ipad Pro Usb into the "host" part of the usb hub where there is no charging. If the Ipad is plugged into the charger part of the usb hub, I don't see the external keyboard in the midi routing matrix thing. Does that make sense?

My usb hub is an anker sold by sweetwater.

Yes. The way USB works, the computer (iPad) must be connected to the host port. If the dock has a USB-C Power Delivery port, that is where you supply power; it is not a data port. Connect a USB-C charger to it and it should power the iPad, and the dock.

I notice you said that the Anker can either do data or charging, but I believe that is not correct. Are you using a USB-C charger with high enough wattage? Could you link the info for the Anker dock?

• Oops startech.

• This Anker USB-C hub says it offers pass thru:

• @wws said:
    Oops startech.

It looks like that StarTech hub is just a powered hub, similar to those using traditional USB. It connects to the host via USB-C, and powers the connected USB devices from its separate power supply. It does not support USB-C Power Delivery over the host connection. It does have a USB-A port supplying 12 W. This would be useful for a Lightning iPad using the CCK, or maybe for a laptop with multiple ports, but it's of no use to you. You would need a hub that explicitly mentions Power Delivery in the description; that's not just words, it's a standard.

• I have an Anker hub and had the same issue. It turned out the power supply included with my iPad pro was insufficient to power the hub and iPad. I upgraded to a cheap 65w power supply and that solved the problem. Same story with a Hootoo brand hub I also own.

• Oh Startech... At least you can be assured there are plenty of hubs that will do what you are looking for!

• @echoopera said:
    Yes. The dedicated power allows me to route to audio interface and connected USB keyboard, while charging the iPad.

I use it all the time with my AudioHub and Launchpad devices. The Nucleum has been a great little HUB when i want a small device with sufficient I/O for my needs when traveling light.

For my larger setups with external synths i just use my traditional Anker HUB connected to the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit—and feed USB-C power to that dongle.

Are you still using a novation audiohub? Been looking at getting an iOS interface and wondering wether or not these still work okay?

• @symianbeatz said:

@echoopera said:

Are you still using a novation audiohub? Been looking at getting an iOS interface and wondering wether or not these still work okay?

Yeah it does the job just fine. But they are impossible to find now since they’ve been discontinued.

• @echoopera said:

@symianbeatz said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah it does the job just fine. But they are impossible to find now since they’ve been discontinued.

There's a couple on eBay right now in the UK, ones just down the road from me, maybe I'll give it a bid.. thanks for confirming it works still.. 🤘

• edited December 2021

Aahhh..they did away with the optical on that minifuse4. Sad.
    Ignore me...I was confusing it with the audiofuse

• edited January 2022

Beware that the USB- ports on the Minifuse are low power only, 250 mA, which makes them unable to power many MIDI controllers. They still transmit data though.

Just got a Minifuse 2 and it is not able to power my Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3, despite connected to the USB C- port on my iPad Air 4 through Apple dongle. Using an external USB-hub to solve it, no biggie.

There are currently long shipping times for the Minifuse series if not in stock, due to the worldwide logistics situation.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• So the following hub should be able to (1) charge my Ipad, (2) route midi data from and power my midi keyboard, and (3) send data to and power an audio interface (Motu 2, I hope)?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5create-usb-c-multi-port-hub-with-power-delivery-white/6460683.p?skuId=6460683

THanks everyone for the help! Wish I had come here before buying the startech...

• @wws said:
    So the following hub should be able to (1) charge my Ipad, (2) route midi data from and power my midi keyboard, and (3) send data to and power an audio interface (Motu 2, I hope)?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5create-usb-c-multi-port-hub-with-power-delivery-white/6460683.p?skuId=6460683

THanks everyone for the help! Wish I had come here before buying the startech...

I guess so. The docs on that page are pretty slim on detail; seem to be focused on the headphone jack.

Be advised that the headphone jack means that iPad will treat it as an audio interface. When you connect a USB interface, it will override the headphone jack, because iPadOS only supports one audio interface at a time. The last one connected wins.

You may need a bigger charger than came with your iPad. The detailed specs for the hub should specify the maximum wattage it can accept.

• Yes, that ought to work. Looks like it takes 15 watts of power, so it'll subtract that from whatever your charger supplies. You might need a charger upgrade, but can wait and see.

Do you need/want the HDMI video and SD card readers? A simpler and lower-power unit might fill your need.

• edited January 2022

These unbranded ones are highly recommended (by me at least along with others on the forum). Cheap and reliable and will do all the things you are wanting (power / midi / audio interface). 4 usb-a ports for controllers and usb-c Power delivery. This is a uk link, but I’m assuming they are available elsewhere. Worth buying from a supplier with a good reputation though I guess.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/usb-cables-adapters/usb-type-c-cables/usb-c-cables/9722-usb-31-type-c-male-to-usb-4-x-usb-30-hub-sockets-with-pd-15cm-009722-5055781235061.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlMCOBhCZARIsANLid6aoVXZyypP4UVmwgAE4K0xT9b2eKGiTW6vK2dW7BODBXakSHXasJQYaAjzmEALw_wcB

• I bought the anker and while it works as a router, it doesn't seem to charge the ipad at the same time. Any ideas? Thanks!

• @wws said:
    I bought the anker and while it works as a router, it doesn't seem to charge the ipad at the same time. Any ideas? Thanks!

What are you using as a power supply, connected to the PD port on the hub?

What is its power rating in watts? Remember, the hub takes some power (looks like 15 watts) and only the balance is available for the iPad.

The iPad will display "Not Charging" if the power it is receiving is less than the power it requires to run. That means it's still draining the battery, but more slowly thanks to the attached power source.

• I agree with the others who recommend the Nucleum hub. I’ve had one for awhile but I just attached it to the back of an iPad stand to make this kitchen counter “workstation”. Occasionally I have to power cycle the rig though that may be an iPad issue. Otherwise it’s always on and ready to go. For the guitar nuts, that’s an original ‘57 Tele which I’ve had since the mid-80’s.

• @uncledave said:

@wws said:
    I bought the anker and while it works as a router, it doesn't seem to charge the ipad at the same time. Any ideas? Thanks!

What is its power rating in watts? Remember, the hub takes some power (looks like 15 watts) and only the balance is available for the iPad.

The iPad will display "Not Charging" if the power it is receiving is less than the power it requires to run. That means it's still draining the battery, but more slowly thanks to the attached power source.

1.5 amps, doesn't have watts on the back. It's from a battery charger with usb charger outlets (with a double lightning bolt)

• @wws said:

@uncledave said:

@wws said:

1.5 amps, doesn't have watts on the back. It's from a battery charger with usb charger outlets (with a double lightning bolt)

What's the voltage? If it's just 5V, that makes 7.5 watts, not even enough for the hub at full power.

You need a USB-C charger with USB-C Power Delivery. That PD means that these units can use voltages greater than 5V, which is the only way to supply significant power through thin conductors. They negotiate the voltage to use with the connected devices, using other leads in the USB-C connection. The one that came with your iPad would be a start; you should try it first. And you must connect it to the USB-C port marked PD or power on the hub.