Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus MIDI Mixer - Solo mode

edited December 2021 in Support and Feedback

I am connecting a few digital pianos together via Bluetooth MIDI as inputs in AudioBus. I can see the mute toggle button but no solo button. Please advise how can I do that.

Comments

• @danlsk said:
    I am connecting a few digital pianos together via Bluetooth MIDI as inputs in AudioBus. I can see the mute toggle button but no solo button. Please advise how can I do that.

There's no Solo option for MIDI channels in Audiobus. You can solo instruments, but not MIDI. Of course, you can mute the other MIDI channels to get a solo effect. With some effort, you could rig a StreamByter script to selectively mute channels, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

If you'd like some more assistance, it would help if you could post screenshots of the Audiobus MIDI page and the Mixer page.

Just FYI, this is a user forum, operated by Audiobus, that actually covers all of iOS music making. It would help if you could edit you title to include the word Audiobus, so viewers would know which "MIDI Mixer" you're referring to.

• I have yet to test the limit of Bluetooth MIDI connection. Assuming 50 digital pianos are connected, I have to "solo" one of them. Pressing mute to 49 of them really takes up a lot of time. Can I make this feature request?

Also, can RTPmidi route through this Audiobus mixer?

• @danlsk said:
    I have yet to test the limit of Bluetooth MIDI connection. Assuming 50 digital pianos are connected, I have to "solo" one of them. Pressing mute to 49 of them really takes up a lot of time. Can I make this feature request?

You may want to use the routing matrix in AUM or apeMatrix, instead of Audiobus. Then you can just tap to remove a route, and tap to add a route. But I'm having trouble understanding your use case. 50 digital pianos (MIDI keyboards?) driving one synth in Audiobus? As I said, this would not be a difficult script to write in StreamByter. I could do it, but I really need to understand the need first.

Why not just select the source you want from the Audiobus MIDI Source list? That would be simple, if you don't need to switch sources quickly.

To make a feature request, you should use the Contact part of the Audiobus website. As I said, this is just a user forum.

Also, can RTPmidi route through this Audiobus mixer?

Should work, if the interface connection is class compliant.

• The setup I am attempting is a music lab setup. Connecting all the digital pianos into a software mixer via wireless Bluetooth (WIFI might be another possible solution but no MIDI to WIFI adapter yet) . A host teacher needs to have 1:1 in a group and switch around quickly while others are practising in silent mode. The conventional settings are using wires with RJ45 to pass audio signals.

• edited December 2021

I do think you'd be better off with the AUM matrix. You can route any MIDI source to any destination by tapping on the cell at the intersection, tap again to cancel it. So, you can route a source to an iPad synth, or to a hardware device (USB MIDI or 5-pin MIDI interface. You can set up as many routes as you like, one source to multiple destinations, multiple sources to one destination, whatever. The pic just shows some random ports, but it will show everything that's connected. I don't know how it would handle 50 sources, but that's likely a problem with any iPad app. You can also do this with MidiFire, using two taps to link a source and destination.

Edit: Of course, you could use the Audiobus MIDI Source menu to select an item. What I'm really suggesting is that you don't need to configure every MIDI route, then Solo one of them, you can just configure the one you want, changing it as needed.

• Thanks, I heard from CME and Doremidi that an iPad/iPhone can only connect up to 6-8 BLE MIDI devices. My thought of 50 BLE MIDI devices might not be realistic at this moment. I am not sure about BLE hub / gateway or BLE Mesh capability yet.

• Given the BLE MIDI limitations I suspect the easiest and more reliable solution is to filter all the midi signals before the iPad. Some kind of mixer, hub or diy project could give the flexibility and complete control you're searching. Maybe some kind of Mozaic wizardy will solve the problem but the number of signals involved complicates a lot an otherwise straightforward problem.