Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

usb wireless midi

are there any products that can plug into the usb port of a midi keyboard and send midi notes wirelessly to an ipad of computer?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

I made one. It's not as hard as it sounds, if you can carefully follow directions.

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=diy_bluetooth_midi_bridge&s[]=raspberry
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/41641/show-n-tell-raspberry-pi-ble-midi-bridge-thingy#latest

I wouldn't mind making you one for cost of materials and postage if it seems too difficult or if you can't find a commercial product.

• I made two following @wim 's instructions and they both work flawlessly! Easy to install and pretty much zero configuration needed!

• Commercially you have the company CME. They are know for WIDI Master and WIDI Bud. cme-pro.com

You can find them on FB too

• edited January 2021

@dasgoods said:
    Commercially you have the company CME. They are know for WIDI Master and WIDI Bud. cme-pro.com

+1.

There's still a promo running for their new UHOST:

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-uhost/

Make sure you register in order to make it happen!

• awesome thanks guys

• @rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:
    Commercially you have the company CME. They are know for WIDI Master and WIDI Bud. cme-pro.com

+1.

For the uHost they need a total of 3000 registrants to put into production. Just over a 1000 have registered so far and it’s £30 atm to buy (half normal price)

For anyone with USB hardware, myself an Akai MPK Mini, this will be very useful for a less messy connection.

The take up will increase over the next few weeks and months as more of us continue to be in lockdown. I’m going to presume if it wasn’t for COVID then uHost would be here already.

Afaik there isn’t another company that has a universal USB Bluetooth midi dongle in production that conforms to the most up to date Bluetooth standards.

• @dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

For the uHost they need a total of 3000 registrants to put into production. Just over a 1000 have registered so far and it’s £30 atm to buy (half normal price)

For anyone with USB hardware, myself an Akai MPK Mini, this will be very useful for a less messy connection.

The take up will increase over the next few weeks and months as more of us continue to be in lockdown. I’m going to presume if it wasn’t for COVID then uHost would be here already.

Afaik there isn’t another company that has a universal USB Bluetooth midi dongle in production that conforms to the most up to date Bluetooth standards.

Yep, and it does beat the price of all other solutions like the much more expensive Yamaha UD-BT01 or other clunky USB MIDI host boxes plus Bluetooth MIDI dongles.

• Does a widi bud or pro. Make an akai lpd8, wireless to an iphone se 2016. Djplayer pro ( cue points ) Have mapped a nanokey and nanokontrol but need space.

• @sigma79 said:
    Does a widi bud or pro. Make an akai lpd8, wireless to an iphone se 2016. Djplayer pro ( cue points ) Have mapped a nanokey and nanokontrol but need space.

I recently got a Widi UHOST - that's the one you need for controllers with USB like the LPD8. It's a really good device, but you need to add the right cable and a usb battery or power supply. To be honest, I think you'd be better replacing your LPD8 with the bluetooth version, probably a cheaper solution anyway (if you sold the old one) and much neater without all the external add ons.

Otherwise, the now hard to find Yamaha UD-BT01 would work, or the Doremidi mentioned above. Both need external power, the Yamaha also needs a cable to the device and the Doremidi has an excessively long built in cable that makes things messy (unless you wanted the adapter 2 metres away, but I can't think why).

• @steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Does a widi bud or pro. Make an akai lpd8, wireless to an iphone se 2016. Djplayer pro ( cue points ) Have mapped a nanokey and nanokontrol but need space.

I recently got a Widi UHOST - that's the one you need for controllers with USB like the LPD8. It's a really good device, but you need to add the right cable and a usb battery or power supply. To be honest, I think you'd be better replacing your LPD8 with the bluetooth version, probably a cheaper solution anyway (if you sold the old one) and much neater without all the external add ons.

Otherwise, the now hard to find Yamaha UD-BT01 would work, or the Doremidi mentioned above. Both need external power, the Yamaha also needs a cable to the device and the Doremidi has an excessively long built in cable that makes things messy (unless you wanted the adapter 2 metres away, but I can't think why).

Cheers steve. Theres no lpd8 wireless for sale. Theres no bt pad controllers. Got a nanokey and nanokontrol wont fit under faderfox controller.

Super annoying.

• Would be a bt controller for deck. Cue points and eq. Blueboard and or launchpad for loops of deck. Faderfox with another dj player pro on another ipad as it would be usb to audio4c. For mixing tracks just using faderfox for volumes and filters.

Still need to check digital sound vs phono amps. The amps/normal vinyl couldnt be used for looping or production.

• @sigma79 said:

Cheers steve. Theres no lpd8 wireless for sale. Theres no bt pad controllers. Got a nanokey and nanokontrol wont fit under faderfox controller.

Super annoying.

That's strange and a shame if it's discontinued, the LPD8 wireless is a great little bluetooth controller with no obvious alternative for just pads and knobs. Not very expensive either. I've been very happy with mine, although it's been in reserve since I went back to wires with a Launchpad. Still recommended if you can find one.

As a more expensive MPE capable option (and possibly not what you're looking for), I just got a Birdkids Offgrid, really impressed so far. They are shipping them now in batches as fast as they can build them, no knobs, but velocity sensitive pads and wireless motion control.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/offgrid-make-music-your-way-anytime-anywhere-hands-on/posts/3372274

• @steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

Super annoying.

That's strange and a shame if it's discontinued, the LPD8 wireless is a great little bluetooth controller with no obvious alternative for just pads and knobs. Not very expensive either. I've been very happy with mine, although it's been in reserve since I went back to wires with a Launchpad. Still recommended if you can find one.

As a more expensive MPE capable option (and possibly not what you're looking for), I just got a Birdkids Offgrid, really impressed so far. They are shipping them now in batches as fast as they can build them, no knobs, but velocity sensitive pads and wireless motion control.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/offgrid-make-music-your-way-anytime-anywhere-hands-on/posts/3372274

If you sell controller. Let me know. Need encoders also for eq. Not sure I can find a spot for nanokey or nanokontrol nanokontrol although they map. Unless I dislocate my shoulder. Still need to check the dj app anyway. I dont even have speakers. Yet set up a controller as if id be djing with scratching.

• heshes
    edited December 2021

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

Yep, and it does beat the price of all other solutions like the much more expensive Yamaha UD-BT01 or other clunky USB MIDI host boxes plus Bluetooth MIDI dongles.

Are you talking about the CME WIDI Uhost device? I'm not following, it's actually more expensive than the Yamaha UD-BT01 ($69 for uHOST vs $60 for UD-BT01). And it looks like it's bigger and harder to use. The UD-BT01 is so tiny and light that I'm always afraid I'm going to lose it. I'm sure there are other good solutions, but UD-BT01 is pretty simple to use, works great, and isn't expensive. The CME device looks like it's more flexible in some situations (using wifi), but appears to be limited to Bluetooth when connecting controller devices to iPad.

• @hes said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

Are you talking about the CME uHost device? I'm not following, it's actually more expensive than the Yamaha UD-BT01 ($69 for uHOST vs $60 for UD-BT01). And it looks like it's bigger and harder to use. The UD-BT01 is so tiny and light that I'm always afraid I'm going to lose it. I'm sure there are other good solutions, but UD-BT01 is pretty simple to use, works great, and isn't expensive.

Yes I was and I've intended to purchase an early bird for $29 but since CME have stopped supporting Paypal as a payment method (for understandable reasons I must admit), I have now the UD-BT01 and a Raspberry Pi Zero as USB MIDI hosts instead, no regrets. If I remember correctly though, the UHOST is more capable than the UD-BT01...

CME is a great company from my experience and whatever questions I had with my other CME gear, they were always answered in a quick, friendly and helpful way.

• edited December 2021

@rs2000 said:

@hes said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

Are you talking about the CME uHost device? I'm not following, it's actually more expensive than the Yamaha UD-BT01 ($69 for uHOST vs $60 for UD-BT01). And it looks like it's bigger and harder to use. The UD-BT01 is so tiny and light that I'm always afraid I'm going to lose it. I'm sure there are other good solutions, but UD-BT01 is pretty simple to use, works great, and isn't expensive.

Yes I was and I've intended to purchase an early bird for $29 but since CME have stopped supporting Paypal as a payment method (for understandable reasons I must admit), I have now the UD-BT01 and a Raspberry Pi Zero as USB MIDI hosts instead, no regrets. If I remember correctly though, the UHOST is more capable than the UD-BT01...

CME is a great company from my experience and whatever questions I had with my other CME gear, they were always answered in a quick, friendly and helpful way.

@hes that was a year old post you were questioning. I think CME had to deal with increased production costs by the time they finally brought their device to market.

I’m using my WIDI U-HOST with my Harley Benton Mp100 foot controller. It’s pretty much the same size as the UD-BT01. Main difference (in form) is the usb-c in and out (and very bright lights). Can’t say if it does anything better as they both do exactly what I need them to do in sending CCs to iPad.

I’m using a little veho pebble pokket battery with a built in usb-c cable, which lasts several hours (maybe 4 though I was too lost in Loopy to be counting). Will be upgrading rubber band to something magnetic soon.

• edited December 2021

Bought the widi uhost and controller from amazon. See if it works.

• @sigma79 said:
    So Id test the dj program to see if its worth it. With the nanokey. Then buy controller for £30. The uhost or ud. Are about £50. Got a usb psu. Then just need a cable? Think the ud has a cable.

Ah… join another of my eternal quests for the perfect short USB cable :)

I think the LPD-8 has an old style mini usb connector? CME make their own optional extra usb-c to micro (like old android) and usb-c to usb-b (fat printer) short cables. I’ve just got a third party usb-c to mini, will test it out and report back.

The ud-bt01 has usb-a female socket (standard flat job), so no doubt you already have all sorts of them and short versions are out there. The usb-a male goes to power, so best to find a battery with a usb-a socket and better still one with an on/off switch. Or a USB power supply of course. Tragic that this sort of knowledge fills up most of my brain…

• @steve99 said:

@rs2000 said:

@hes said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

@hes that was a year old post you were questioning. I think CME had to deal with increased production costs by the time they finally brought their device to market.

Whoops! I usually try to check things like that, not sure why this one seemed like a current discussion to me.

• @hes said:

@steve99 said:

@rs2000 said:

@hes said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

@rs2000 said:

@dasgoods said:

+1.

Whoops! I usually try to check things like that, not sure why this one seemed like a current discussion to me.

Current discussion with vintage pricing :)

• edited December 2021

@steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:
    So Id test the dj program to see if its worth it. With the nanokey. Then buy controller for £30. The uhost or ud. Are about £50. Got a usb psu. Then just need a cable? Think the ud has a cable.

I think the LPD-8 has an old style mini usb connector? CME make their own optional extra usb-c to micro (like old android) and usb-c to usb-b (fat printer) short cables. I’ve just got a third party usb-c to mini, will test it out and report back.

The ud-bt01 has usb-a female socket (standard flat job), so no doubt you already have all sorts of them and short versions are out there. The usb-a male goes to power, so best to find a battery with a usb-a socket and better still one with an on/off switch. Or a USB power supply of course. Tragic that this sort of knowledge fills up most of my brain…

Thanks. Think I just need to buy a cable. Think I have a psu. The turntable setup is madness. Turntable with soundcard. No power for phone but the controller helps. Controller now is some mad bluetooth thing. Output via rca/phono to audio4c. Option of routing to a Drambo with loopy or loopy as a host. Then output to another ipad. Should there be a Drambo or aum. So Bluetooth controller for scratching. Other controllers for everything else and maybe I can dj from another ipad and scratch with a phone. Both into a Drambo or aum or loopy.

Should have tested wether dvs is worth it and also if djing is ok with headphones.

Just for knowledge. For a turntable dvs setup and loopy. Soundcard needs to bypass the turntable amp. As fader is on turntable and is only ok in scratch mode. So will be using the dvs EQ. Thats why I needed the pads and encoders.

• uhost. Thought it would be 4x bigger. If it works. Should be better than an akai wireless. Being bluetooth 5.0. Think the lpd8 can be usb 2.0.

• @steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

Alright Steve.

Buying a cable. Its a mini usb b to c? Do you think it needs to be OTG?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233207625714?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item364c41f7f2:g:dgMAAOSwGUJfWYUo&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA4PWNNU5BqZVXlNDrS0YEHnTCAl1PWJAAw+AiJpI8jMc8Wjs+r2xbfqle2kL8GHnbHTu5y4W5dXx9aI1DNxfsvt2IY2KCPtqwwZoLBR+zbqJqZPwZmZvAa+UlDZxID3CH0Ykk4HXEws3lurO6v1cWYhNA7TG3mKrhnGFR/6VOHnyWp9h7y8jfaon1yVvT9FUG7csMuJnfTqrZmCRu0BzWBUfiq1Con7eYXEAdEQGUJAWEWO6oC69j92umj1IA0dYJ0cem5+uD4iqAbsK/DaMBSgyqW9H81vtbOakvzJgzq5HU|tkp:BFBMpNeX8MBf

Obviously Id also need a usb 2.0 to usb c. From plug to widi. Above cable would need to send power plus data both ways?

• @sigma79 said:

@steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

Alright Steve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233207625714?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item364c41f7f2:g:dgMAAOSwGUJfWYUo&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA4PWNNU5BqZVXlNDrS0YEHnTCAl1PWJAAw+AiJpI8jMc8Wjs+r2xbfqle2kL8GHnbHTu5y4W5dXx9aI1DNxfsvt2IY2KCPtqwwZoLBR+zbqJqZPwZmZvAa+UlDZxID3CH0Ykk4HXEws3lurO6v1cWYhNA7TG3mKrhnGFR/6VOHnyWp9h7y8jfaon1yVvT9FUG7csMuJnfTqrZmCRu0BzWBUfiq1Con7eYXEAdEQGUJAWEWO6oC69j92umj1IA0dYJ0cem5+uD4iqAbsK/DaMBSgyqW9H81vtbOakvzJgzq5HU|tkp:BFBMpNeX8MBf

Obviously Id also need a usb 2.0 to usb c. From plug to widi. Above cable would need to send power plus data both ways?

The lpd8 cant actually be powered via mains but can be via audio4c hub and the widi host can be powered via mains. I assume the hub of the uhost ( with the right cable ) should work like the audio4c. Why would a controller only be bus powered?

• edited December 2021

That is rather small. Cool.

• edited December 2021

@Poppadocrock said:
    That is rather small. Cool.

Just need to buy the correct cable.

Its small. I even got Trump hands.

Need akai to work as it looks cool for just cue points and eq.

Bonus would be another ipad/dj program, using the faderfox but not sure I can mix/cue via headphones.

Mixing and scratching. Dj Craze D&B. Just a couple decades late to the game.

Just hope the controllers are the correct side. You would think so. I think the faderfox has to go there anyway. So no way of just keeping/using a nanokey studio. Hence the purchase of the akai.

• @sigma79 said:

@steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

Alright Steve.

CME sell their own usb-c cable packs, but not one for usb-mini. Power cable is just power, from mains charger or usb power bank (though I guess it’s data capable).

I’ve tried one short usb-c to mini cable that didn’t work (from innov-8 on eBay), though that wasn’t listed as OTG. Testing on my usb mini Beatstep (same connector as LPD8) I have had success with a usb-c to female usb-a adapter and then a regular mini to usb-a cable.

What i’d actually suggest, until we find a one cable solution, is the CME short usb-c to micro cable and then a micro to mini adapter. The CME comes in a pack along with a short power cable.

• edited December 2021

@steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

@steve99 said:

@sigma79 said:

Alright Steve.

CME sell their own usb-c cable packs, but not one for usb-mini. Power cable is just power, from mains charger or usb power bank (though I guess it’s data capable).

I’ve tried one short usb-c to mini cable that didn’t work (from innov-8 on eBay), though that wasn’t listed as OTG. Testing on my usb mini Beatstep (same connector as LPD8) I have had success with a usb-c to female usb-a adapter and then a regular mini to usb-a cable.

What i’d actually suggest, until we find a one cable solution, is the CME short usb-c to micro cable and then a micro to mini adapter. The CME comes in a pack along with a short power cable.

Thanks. It will cost £15. Its £8 delivery from eu but would need to buy a power plus a data/power cable anyway. The adapter is for the lpd8 connection? Does it seem best to have the right cable and then just use an adapter rather than find another cable?

Is that what the OTG means. More likely to work etc?

Does adaper need to be any type of spec or is it just an adapter?

Thanks

• Dosent seem like the
    CME WIDI USB-B OTG Cable Pack II

will be long enough to reach psu. Unless I use another power source with an extension cable for psu. How bizzare. Must have been made for power banks.

Is this the best option?