Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Send MIDI messages to Playbeat 3 inside Audiobus 3

Hello!

I currently have Playbeat 3 running as an audio unit inside of Audiobus 3. Playbeat has a midi learn functionality, and I'm trying to map its parameters to my midi controller (an Akai Midi Mix). How do I route this properly? I know I am sending midi to the iPad as when I click on the Playbeat icon in Audiobus, click "send midi message" and press a button on the controller, it successfully shows the note value in the "listening to Midi" field. But how to I pass that message onto Playbeat?

Thanks

Comments

• @CountDooku said:
    Hello!

I currently have Playbeat 3 running as an audio unit inside of Audiobus 3. Playbeat has a midi learn functionality, and I'm trying to map its parameters to my midi controller (an Akai Midi Mix). How do I route this properly? I know I am sending midi to the iPad as when I click on the Playbeat icon in Audiobus, click "send midi message" and press a button on the controller, it successfully shows the note value in the "listening to Midi" field. But how to I pass that message onto Playbeat?

Thanks

On AB’s midi page , add a source node and choose the midi source and add playbeat as the destination.

• If you're trying to use MIDI Learn in Audiobus (not Playbeat) to set AUv3 parameters, you might check this post on how to route that. If you're just using MIDI Learn inside the Playbeat app, you already have the answer.

• Thank you! But still isnt working..., any ideas what could be wrong?

• i used the MF Monitor effect plugin to verify midi data is being sent to Playbeat. Must be a playbeat thing?

• @CountDooku said:
    i used the MF Monitor effect plugin to verify midi data is being sent to Playbeat. Must be a playbeat thing?

Checking, did you select Instance A when routing the MIDI to Playbeat? If not, you will have created a second Playbeat. It will not appear in Audio automatically, so you won't know they're different. Check the Mixer screen to confirm the routing.

Otherwise, please confirm that you used MIDI Learn inside the Playbeat app, and not Audiobus MIDI learn. If you're using Audiobus MIDI Learn to adjust parameters in Playbeat, please see the post I linked previously.

• It's a long-standing issue with Playbeat 2. Sometimes the standalone is able to receive MIDI CCs, but other times the audio drops out when doing so, requiring a memory reset.

Are you using the new V3 that was released several months ago?

• @CountDooku said:
    i used the MF Monitor effect plugin to verify midi data is being sent to Playbeat. Must be a playbeat thing?

I suggest changing the thread title to mention Playbeat...it might get the attention of Playbeat users that would otherwise not read the thread.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CountDooku said:

I suggest changing the thread title to mention Playbeat...it might get the attention of Playbeat users that would otherwise not read the thread.

good idea, thanks

• OK I am able to midi map in settings > "MIDI CC Mappings", just not using the Midi learn function. Thanks everyone for your help. If any Playbeat 3 users have an idea why this is happening please let me know. I am also unable to sync Playbeat on its own, hence using it nested in Audiobus 3