Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Silence audio selection?

Hi, all. Does anyone know of an iOS app that can perform a "silence audio selection" operation, cf. Audacity? I have several samplers which I use on iOS, but I can't find anything that is able to do this. E.g. if I want to silence the first couple of beats of a loop without cropping, which would remove the 2 bar offset from the loop. Any ideas? (I could re-record the loop and gate/mute the audio input for the part I want to silence, but this of course would in most cases be very imprecise.)

Comments

• Auditor by Living Memory and Beatmaker can silence a portion of audio without cropping it.
    For precise edits, Auditor can snap to grid, and/or set selection to cursor/loop, from the beat down to sample level.

• Neon Audio Editor can do this too.

• @novelty said:
    Hi, all. Does anyone know of an iOS app that can perform a "silence audio selection" operation, cf. Audacity? I have several samplers which I use on iOS, but I can't find anything that is able to do this. E.g. if I want to silence the first couple of beats of a loop without cropping, which would remove the 2 bar offset from the loop. Any ideas? (I could re-record the loop and gate/mute the audio input for the part I want to silence, but this of course would in most cases be very imprecise.)

Auditor can do this.

• Wavebox, too. And it is free

• I kind of answered my own question: Beatmaker 3 can do it. But is there a decent standalone sampling app that can do it better/faster?

• Well, I almost always strip out any silence and sequence the loops.
    And if the loop needs to trigger later I just move the note-event...

Most sample players also allow one to set the start-point (left locator) of the sound so there's no need to crop the source sample.

• edited December 2021

TwistedWave can do it too. It can silence, delete or crop any selection.

It can also insert silence of any length at any position.

• Thanks everyone. I wasn’t able to find Auditor in the App Store, so presumably it’s an old one. Wave box is a bit too simple and can’t snap to bars/beats for a given tempo. Neon is powerful but very clunky to use. I don’t have TwistedWave which is fairly pricy, so unable to test that. BM3 is my pick if I want a simple edit done fast; Neon if I need more advanced editing.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@novelty said:
    Thanks everyone. I wasn’t able to find Auditor in the App Store, so presumably it’s an old one. Wave box is a bit too simple and can’t snap to bars/beats for a given tempo. Neon is powerful but very clunky to use. I don’t have TwistedWave which is fairly pricy, so unable to test that. BM3 is my pick if I want a simple edit done fast; Neon if I need more advanced editing.

Auditor isn't old: https://apps.apple.com/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381
    If you think Neon is clunky to use, then you won't get along with Auditor either.

I don't find Neon clunky to use once learned, but everyone is different.

• @novelty said:
    Neon is powerful but very clunky to use.

I find it quick and easy.

• With Neon AU plugin, can we zoom-in and edit samples at the sample level?
    And how reliable is it as an AU plugin? (I have only have 2 of his plugins; NuRack crashes too often, ime).
    Thanks.

I love Auditor, but an audio editor plugin on the iPad sounds like a dream come true, though on the desktop, Sound Forge, SpectraLayers, and Melodyne as ARA 2 plugins are still unreliable, ime.

• @ocelot said:
    With Neon AU plugin, can we zoom-in and edit samples at the sample level?
    And how reliable is it as an AU plugin? (I have only have 2 of his plugins; NuRack crashes too often, ime).
    Thanks.

I love Auditor, but an audio editor plugin on the iPad sounds like a dream come true, though on the desktop, Sound Forge, SpectraLayers, and Melodyne as ARA 2 plugins are still unreliable, ime.

I've never had a single Neon crash, but I haven't used it extensively as an AU.
    Yes, you can zoom in and edit at the sample level.
    One very nice thing about it is full clipboard support. So, for instance, in Loopy Pro, I can copy a loop to the clipboard, flip over to either the standalone or the AU version, paste, fix, and copy/paste back to the Loopy clip. No file export, import, etc. It takes seconds and matters not at all whether I planned ahead or not.

• Thanks @wim. Clipboard support does sound like a real time-saver. Its editing features look good, but its creative tools - even better. Alrighty, off to the App Store...

• @wim I haven't tried "clipboarding" an edit. Will give it a go. Neon isn't that intuitive to get started and you have to drill down through menus that are unnecessary IMO. But it is very powerful - no complaints. But I will say that it crashed the very first time I used it! As with all apps, once you know what you're doing, life is a lot easier.

• edited December 2021

@novelty said:
    @wim I haven't tried "clipboarding" an edit. Will give it a go. Neon isn't that intuitive to get started and you have to drill down through menus that are unnecessary IMO. But it is very powerful - no complaints. But I will say that it crashed the very first time I used it! As with all apps, once you know what you're doing, life is a lot easier.

4Pockets has about 10 short Neon videos on YouTube. Watch those and you'll be an expert.