Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

MIDI Tape Recorder is an open source Audio Unit v3 plugin with a radically different approach towards MIDI recording.

Get it here:
http://uwyn.com/mtr/

MIDI messages are recorded and played back with the same accuracy and precision as audio recordings. Most modern DAWs, even at their highest resolution, still change the timing of MIDI messages to accommodate for their editing features. These changes impact the playback of your performance as MIDI messages get reordered and delayed, causing changes in how they influence sound, sometimes in very significant ways.

MIDI Tape Recorder records your performance exactly as you play it, just like an audio recorder, accurately reproducing every nuance of your performance.

MIDI Tape Recorder purposefully has no MIDI note editing, no quantization, no individual CC tweaking, nothing that you wouldn't do with audio. Instead, very expressive and ultra-dense MIDI streams are perfectly stored and reproduced. MIDI Tape Recorder excels at capturing and playing back expressive performances with MPE controllers and MPE MIDI plugins.

The controls are purposefully simple and intuitive, similar to a traditional four-track audio recorder, making it fun to record, play back and loop your MIDI performance. Even when recording non-MPE MIDI, MIDI Tape Recorder makes it easy to stay in the flow and be creative without being interrupted by the technical nature of most DAWs.

MIDI Tape Recorder makes no sound on its own and requires an AUv3 host to function.

Features

• Four independent tracks for recording MIDI channel voice messages
  • Sample accurate MIDI recording and playback
  • Real-time display of active recorded notes and other received messages
  • MPE support
  • Multi-level undo and redo
  • Overdub recording
  • Punch in and punch out recording for automated regional overdubbing
  • Automated storage and recall of all recordings inside the AUv3 host project
  • MIDI file import and export for the project or each individual track
  • Repeated playback with start and stop locators
  • AUv3 parameters for all controls
  • Snap to beat option for positioning playhead and start/stop locators
  • Detection of MPE configuration message (MCM) reception for each track
  • Envoy of MCM at start of play or when pressing the track's MPE button
  • Host transport and host tempo sync
  • Clear all recordings or clear a single track
  • Crop session to new duration
  • Fully resizable UI
  • Activity indicators for MIDI input and output on each track
  • Optional tool tips for every operation
  • Optional per-track record enable, input monitoring, and mute
  • Four virtual MIDI cable inputs if the AUv3 host supports it
  • Support for AUv3 user presets if the host supports it
  • Optional routing of first virtual MIDI cable to all tracks
  • Fully open-sourced under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International, an approved Free Culture License

Comments

• Thank you! I’ll be honest, I have no idea how often I’ll use this but the idea fascinates me. Congrats on making and releasing something that A LOT of people are excited about. Cool icon, too.

• thank you big time! fantastic app.

• Awesome. That is a great gift.
    Happy Holidays and thank you.
    🙂

• edited December 2021

Congrats @GeertBevin on always realizing your passion projects which assist, inspire and motivate us all to create Music for the World.

You and your team are making Dents in the universe 🙏🏼💕

Thank you 👊🏼™️

• Congrats for the release and thank you for this amazing app GeertBevin!

• Huh. Very nice. Thanks!

• Nice work. Thank you!

• That was a quick turnaround from beta to release. Congratulations @GeertBevin & Thanks.

• The AppStore video is really cool too.

• Yeah, magnificent effort, and lovely simple to use piece of gear, congratulations 🎉

• This app looks like it got really nice features and is definitely more feature rich overall, so I definitely feel bad about slightly derailing the thread, but what came to my mind was the app photon, and I was wondering if some of you remember it and if photon can achieve the same quantization/grid free midi recording?

• @dobbs said:
    This app looks like it got really nice features and is definitely more feature rich overall, so I definitely feel bad about slightly derailing the thread, but what came to my mind was the app photon, and I was wondering if some of you remember it and if photon can achieve the same quantization/grid free midi recording?

Photon isn't sample accurate. So,I would guess that it might have problems with some of Animoog's MPE ... which doesn't consistently record/playback correctly in any MIDI sequencer other than MTR.

• Merry Christmas to us! Thank you @GeertBevin 🙏🏻

• Love it, used it with Mononoke so far. Captured my noodling perfectly!

• Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

• Just in time for Christmas, nice!

• I like that it is called a MIDI "Tape" Recorder.

• Thanks Geert ❤️

• Can you export the midi into atom2 afterwards? Or does that defeat the object?

• This looks great!

I have a question for the heavy MIDI users. What might be the advantages of using this over just recording the audio—given that the MIDI cannot be edited here?

• @mistercharlie said:
    This looks great!

I have a question for the heavy MIDI users. What might be the advantages of using this over just recording the audio—given that the MIDI cannot be edited here?

You can change the patch or even synth/instrument, duplicating the performance.

• Editing MIDI on an iPad is difficult for my old eyes, so this app is perfect for recording the MIDI from generative AU MIDI plugins, and transferring those *.midi files to a DAW on a larger screen for more in-depth MIDI editing.

Thank you Geert! What a gift!

• @Krupa said:

@mistercharlie said:
    This looks great!

Of course! Or tweak the patch. I knew I was missing something.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Krupa said:

@mistercharlie said:
    This looks great!

Also, MIDI uses way less storage space.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Krupa said:

@mistercharlie said:
    This looks great!

👍👍

• @gregsmith said:
    Can you export the midi into atom2 afterwards? Or does that defeat the object?

Just started playing with this, great work @GeertBevin ! I can see it could be useful as a flight recorder type thing in Loopy Pro to capture MIDI for archival purposes where you are more interested in the audio but can’t quite bring yourself to throw away the MIDI data that got you there.

I have not yet found a DAW or sequencer which renders the output MIDI file from MIDI Tape Recorder in the same way that MIDI Tape Recorder does, though there could be some configuration settings I have not set up correctly. One thing that other sequencers seem to have a problem with is gliding between notes - they get played as discrete notes.

• @mistercharlie said:
    This looks great!

Great question, here's a few:

• tweak the sound easily after the fact
    • change tempo of the performance
    • keep the tempo in sync with other parts that are playing
    • loop the performance without cutting off longer trailing like envelopes, delays, reverbs, ...
    • use MIDI filters or MIDI FX, for transposition, removing CC messages

The storage aspect is debatable if you're using MPE, if you use a lot of expression, it can get quite large. For traditional MIDI use, it definitely uses a lot less!

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@gregsmith said:
    Can you export the midi into atom2 afterwards? Or does that defeat the object?

Just started playing with this, great work @GeertBevin ! I can see it could be useful as a flight recorder type thing in Loopy Pro to capture MIDI for archival purposes where you are more interested in the audio but can’t quite bring yourself to throw away the MIDI data that got you there.

I have not yet found a DAW or sequencer which renders the output MIDI file from MIDI Tape Recorder in the same way that MIDI Tape Recorder does, though there could be some configuration settings I have not set up correctly. One thing that other sequencers seem to have a problem with is gliding between notes - they get played as discrete notes.

Thank you! Well, you're experiencing on of the reasons why I made MIDI Tape Recorder, I couldn't believe that after all these years everything I recorded and played MPE with would still mangle it up so much, even the playback portion!

You've just explained why MIDI Tape Recorder is necessary :smile:

• @ocelot said:
    Editing MIDI on an iPad is difficult for my old eyes, so this app is perfect for recording the MIDI from generative AU MIDI plugins, and transferring those *.midi files to a DAW on a larger screen for more in-depth MIDI editing.

Thank you Geert! What a gift!

That's a great use case!

• @Simon said:
    I like that it is called a MIDI "Tape" Recorder.

When I built it, I kept thinking about my old Tascam 4-track I did my first recordings with as a teenager. I was so productive and in the moment doing that, I was trying to get some of that magic into MIDI Tape Recorder.