Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quick tip: using Loopy Pro and AUM together for a fast and easy workflow (video now added)

edited December 2021 in Loopy Pro

Creating a mix bus in AUM to pipe all your apps to Loopy with, so that you can record loops really quickly:

Comments

• @richardyot said:
    Creating a mix bus in AUM to pipe all your apps to Loopy with, so that you can record loops really quickly:

(edit: sorry technical glitch, the video will be up shortly)

Looking forward :)

• Glitch now fixed, and the video is up in the first post ☝

• Looks great. I will try this. Thanks.

• Really helpful, thanks.

• Nice @richardyot thanks for the information

• I love it :)

A loop creation engine!

• edited December 2021

@richardyot
    Big thanks
    you opened the door for me into the power house that is LP. I know that sounds stupid but you’ve inspired me

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @richardyot
    Big thanks
    you opened the door for me into the power house that is LP. I know that sounds stupid but you’ve inspired me

Glad to hear it 👍 thanks

• Cool trick, thanks

• Great, I look forward to watching it! AUM will let me feed IAA apps into Loopy Pro.

• So do you have to start and stop Loopy with AUM track buttons?

• @joegrant413 said:
    So do you have to start and stop Loopy with AUM track buttons?

No, you can choose to turn host-sync off. Interestingly, you can turn host sync off but enable Ableton Link to automatically match tempos, and optionally Link Start/Stop to start and stop AUM from Loopy, or vice-versa.

This is really cool for starting up from a free-form loop with no tempo set. If you reset Loopy's time settings (so that there's no tempo, then have Loopy detect the tempo and set it on the first loop, you can have Loopy set AUM's tempo and start it automatically based on your first freeform loop.

• So I had a pretty nice session now using iM1 and AUM and loopy pro. And I turned off the external sync between Loopy Pro and AUM. Also tried and really like the retrospective recording.

• One odd thing to me is that you keep a channel that looks like a microphone on the LP mixer. It turns out to be your audio unit input.

• @wim said:

@joegrant413 said:
    So do you have to start and stop Loopy with AUM track buttons?

No, you can choose to turn host-sync off. Interestingly, you can turn host sync off but enable Ableton Link to automatically match tempos, and optionally Link Start/Stop to start and stop AUM from Loopy, or vice-versa.

This is really cool for starting up from a free-form loop with no tempo set. If you reset Loopy's time settings (so that there's no tempo, then have Loopy detect the tempo and set it on the first loop, you can have Loopy set AUM's tempo and start it automatically based on your first freeform loop.

Nice. Thank you.

• @joegrant413 said:
    One odd thing to me is that you keep a channel that looks like a microphone on the LP mixer. It turns out to be your audio unit input.

The mic icon just means audio input.

• Thanks @richardyot - this is the workflow I have been playing with.

What’s the quickest way to then export the stems to another DAW like Cubasis?

• @gusgranite said:

It’s kinda complicated, tbh.

Hit the export button. 😉

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Hit the export button. 😉

That tricky huh? 😆

You know, I actually tried that but it only exported one clip. I’m being a daftee. Will try it again

• @gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Hit the export button. 😉

That tricky huh? 😆

You know, I actually tried that but it only exported one clip. I’m being a daftee. Will try it again

The export button I’m referring to is reached through the file icon at the top. You might have been doing it from an individual clip. I hoe that helps.

• @gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Hit the export button. 😉

That tricky huh? 😆

Tap on the Folder icon at the upper left to bring up the project browser
    Tap Export
    Choose Audio Clips

If you are using the sequencer page, you can export stems from that page's export icon.

• Nice jam @richardyot

There’s a similar trick using Loopy Pro standalone and it’s built it busses, as well as a couple different ways to use it in Drambo. Point is, Loopy Pro is super flexible, and truly the game changer many of us have been needing.

• That’s great! However, is it impossible to load a project/template that I’ve made in the standalone into AUM? My project folder is empty when I use Loopy in AUM. I really want to use AUM to fill up Loopy (as an AU) with sounds and loops and then go back to performing them in the standalone version.

• @galmandsværk said:
    That’s great! However, is it impossible to load a project/template that I’ve made in the standalone into AUM? My project folder is empty when I use Loopy in AUM. I really want to use AUM to fill up Loopy (as an AU) with sounds and loops and then go back to performing them in the standalone version.

In the standalone, use the project manager to move the project into AUv3 folder. Note that you need to make sure you aren't using AUv3 in the standalone project, since an AU can't load other AU

• @galmandsværk said:
    That’s great! However, is it impossible to load a project/template that I’ve made in the standalone into AUM? My project folder is empty when I use Loopy in AUM. I really want to use AUM to fill up Loopy (as an AU) with sounds and loops and then go back to performing them in the standalone version.

Edit: I figured out how to export a project from Loopy AU (hosted in AUM) to Loopy standalone, but I can’t import the quite complex template that I created in standalone into AU…😭

• @galmandsværk said:

@galmandsværk said:

Edit: I figured out how to export a project from Loopy AU (hosted in AUM) to Loopy standalone, but I can’t import the quite complex template that I created in standalone into AU…😭

Why not?

• @espiegel123 said:

@galmandsværk said:

In the standalone, use the project manager to move the project into AUv3 folder. Note that you need to make sure you aren't using AUv3 in the standalone project, since an AU can't load other AU

True hero, @espiegel123

I hadn’t noticed that there was a dedicated auv3 folder. Thanks for all the great advice and help you’re giving us new users of Loopy Pro 🙏

• edited February 2022

@wim said:

@joegrant413 said:

>

... enable Ableton Link to automatically match tempos, and optionally Link Start/Stop to start and stop AUM from Loopy, or vice-versa.

Slightly-side topic. Is there a way to get AUM (and Loopy) to sync to tempo from an external device?

I have a Beat Buddy connected by MIDI. I really like setting the tempo with the physical knob on the Buddy. But I have so far been unsuccessful in getting AUM to recognize that tempo.

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

@TracyEvans said:

@wim said:

@joegrant413 said:

>

... enable Ableton Link to automatically match tempos, and optionally Link Start/Stop to start and stop AUM from Loopy, or vice-versa.

Slightly-side topic. Is there a way to get AUM (and Loopy) to sync to tempo from an external device?

I have a Beat Buddy connected by MIDI. I really like setting the tempo with the physical knob on the Buddy. But I have so far been unsuccessful in getting AUM to recognize that tempo.

AUM doesn't follow MIDI Clock. One way to make that work is to use Audiobus as a MIDI Clock to Link bridge so that your hardware can send clock to Audiobus and AUM can follow Link. Another app that can do this is MIDI Link Sync. I prefer Audiobus though.

Loopy Pro does follow MIDI Clock. And because of a quirk in the current implementation, the AU has its own external MIDI Port rather than only getting MIDI from the host. So, you should be able to send clock directly to Loopy's virtual port, and with Link enabled in both Loopy and AUM, you might not need the Audiobus/MIDI Link Sync workaround. I'm not sure if that'll always be the case, as the AU exposing its own port is unusual and may be (IMO should be) changed to work like other AU's.

However, there's now a new option as well. Load AUM into Loopy Standalone instead of the other way around. This should work too.