Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MelodyBud Generative Sequencer by Cem Olcay

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1601357369

Description:

MelodyBud is an AUv3 MIDI sequencer with great generative sequencing capabilities. Instead of a traditional sequencer, you can randomise your notes, velocity, octave, and gate length of your steps, add ratchets and glide to make it more interesting!

One of the most powerful feature of MelodyBud is "parameter-locking". With parameter-locks, you can set a step's randomisation values individually. That lets you create richer melodies. For entering the parameter-locking mode, you can simply tap a step's number on the top of the sequencer. The step and the control knobs turn orange when you enter the parameter-locking mode. If you edit a control when you are in the parameter-lock mode, the sequencer will execute that configuration for that step instead of the global configuration. You can tap the step's number again for exiting the parameter-lock mode.

You can work in more than 40 scales, you can even change them while the sequencer is running. With the AUv3 plugin, you can change them with the AU parameters and even modulate/automate them along with other parameters.

The standalone version supports Ableton Link which lets you in-sync with other Ableton Link enabled apps.

MelodyBud is a MIDI app and it does not produce any audio or sound on its own. You need to route its MIDI out to another audio app in order to sequence it and getting sound off of it.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 12.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• I'm just starting to play with it, but I find random patterns pretty interesting to get ideas flowing. Thanks!

• Yeah! Love this type of thing.

• any videos? i’d like to see this in action.

• @eross said:
    any videos? i’d like to see this in action.

José Osório de Souza has some short videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/joseosoriodesouza/videos

• how do you get to ratchet parameters and gate parameters
    ?

• edited December 2021

actually I see them now, but only when app is standalone mode. is there something wrong with the Au mode.?none of those functions are theee when i pull it up i. AUM

• Out already. Wow. That was fast. Congratulations @cem_olcay

• Are we.... are we entering a new era of daily new app releases??

• Overlap with Zoa? What’s the added value here?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@eross said:
    how do you get to ratchet parameters and gate parameters
    ?

The list scrolls. Or, you can maximize the window, or re-size it to be more square shaped to see all without scrolling.

• @Sergiu said:
    Overlap with Zoa? What’s the added value here?

It's just a different approach. Zoa make's it's own evolving patterns. MelodyBud applies randomization to patterns you create yourself.

• I see. Thx

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@cem_olcay - setting vertical and vertical / horizontal motion doesn’t work for knobs.

• edited December 2021

Happy Holidays everyone, I'm super stoke to introduce you the MelodyBud - the generative sequencer!

First of all, it's a super quick and fun app to produce melodies with randomisation. It has a very powerful randomisation engine that you can apply to any mode (notes, octave, velocity, gate length, ratchets and glide!) and also has a super powerful "parameter-lock" mode which you can apply the randomisation engine to any step individually!

If you are familiar with the Elektron gear (digitak, oktotrack, model:samples etc) then you are already know what it is. But you can simply tap a step's number on the top of the sequencer and enter the parameter-locking mode, this app is all about this, it's crazy fun!

I can't wait your feedbacks, I know you are going to love this app and have so much fun!

• @cem_olcay - only spent a few minutes with it and love it already although as @wim says there are a couple of issues with the knob settings...

• This looks very interesting, I might have to give it a go…

• @enkaytee said:
    @cem_olcay - only spent a few minutes with it and love it already although as @wim says there are a couple of issues with the knob settings...

Thanks! Yeah that's a quick fix, I'm on it!

• @cem_olcay Thanks for creating this simple, but useful tool to startup a melody.

What i miss in the interface: You can't see which steps are "on" in the other sequence windows. An indicator would be useful, or maybe a half-transparent overlay from the note-window. That saves switching between the note window and the other windows.
    Another additions i like to see:

• The option to tie notes, so you can make longer notes.
    • Set sequencer length for each parameter for creating "movement"
    • 1 or 2 CC# lanes to sequence a parameter (for example filter cutoff of a synth)
  • edited December 2021

@cem_olcay When using 'random' note the screen stays static, you only see the initially note while playing the 'random' note and not the note that's actually playing. Is this normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

• @Pierre118 said:
    @cem_olcay When using 'random' note the screen stays static, you only see the initially note while playing the 'random' note and not the note that's actually playing. Is this normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Yeah it stays static but I think I can add something the show the actual randomised note playing on the next update 👍

• @cem_olcay said:

@Pierre118 said:

Yeah it stays static but I think I can add something the show the actual randomised note playing on the next update 👍

That would be great, thanks

• If this type of thing is your jam, it’s also worth taking a look at Cykle from the same developer behind Polybeat. The developer describes Cykle as a semi-generative melodic step sequencer and that most definitely hits the nail squarely on the head. The core idea is a simple one. Each of the sequencer lanes detailed below can have decoupled lengths (you choose as few/many of the lanes as you require).

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cykle/id1187680637

Cem's apps always hit the mark (especially as he tweaks them based on customer feedback), so I'm sure MelodyBud will develop over time too. @Identor has already provided feedback that's similar in nature to the decoupled lanes in Cykle, so hopefully, that might be something for a future iteration.

• @cem_olcay , just added this to my other buds. At some stage could you consider adding the Draw Mode facility you have in e.g. StepBud. Best wishes.

• I’ve got them all, I wish they’d sync and work on my Mac though <3

• @knewspeak said:
    I’ve got them all, I wish they’d sync and work on my Mac though <3

Well, they actually work on M1 Macs :smile:

• @cem_olcay said:

@knewspeak said:
    I’ve got them all, I wish they’d sync and work on my Mac though <3

Well, they actually work on M1 Macs :smile:

Sorry I meant as a midifx inside Logic Pro, I may have missed something but all refuse to start. Stand-alone is fine though. Thanks.

• The update is on the way. It's much better now :smile:

• i like the gate feature currently there. . but i’d say note length would be a fun feature to
    add. so for instance i had a 8 step pattern. i could play a 1/4 note on the first few steps but then play a long 1/2 note on the third step. and maybe the last 5 steps could be 1/16th notes.
    that kind of thing

• @eross said:
    i like the gate feature currently there. . but i’d say note length would be a fun feature to
    add. so for instance i had a 8 step pattern. i could play a 1/4 note on the first few steps but then play a long 1/2 note on the third step. and maybe the last 5 steps could be 1/16th notes.
    that kind of thing

Most of the generators on iOS get locked to a particular note value Sans ties. One notable exception is Riffer (might be a few more). I do appreciate the glides in MelodyBud this alone makes is unique among the generative crowd.

Thank you @cem_olcay and happy holidays and stay safe

• @audiblevideo said:

@eross said:
    i like the gate feature currently there. . but i’d say note length would be a fun feature to
    that kind of thing

Most of the generators on iOS get locked to a particular note value Sans ties. One notable exception is Riffer (might be a few more). I do appreciate the glides in MelodyBud this alone makes is unique among the generative crowd.

Thank you @cem_olcay and happy holidays and stay safe

There’s one sequencer that uses glide. It’s Roseta Bassline from Bram Bos.