Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vector or bitmap graphical assets for iOS music app?

edited December 2021 in App Development

Hello

I've finished developing an iOS app (my first but I've developed many other things on other platforms) but so far it only uses placeholder assets for all the graphics.

For a photo-realistic or skeuomorphic look on iOS, do designers use bitmaps or vectors?

I'd be interested in hearing from (or be given details of) any designers experienced in this area (graphic design for mobile music apps).

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Not a developer, unless a midi echo in Mozaic counts, lol. amateur graphic designer. Found this article with helpful hints, specs for App Store and Google Play , and links to make one free. Appicon.co sounds useful. Never tried though.

To make it even simpler, we’re sharing with you the best tools we know to create amazing icons.

Canva: create and design the app icon from scratch for free.

Iconsflow: create an icon design for free.

Appicon.co: drop a file here and generate the app icon in all the sizes you need for iOS & Android devices.

Appiconmaker.co: drop a file here and generate the app icon in all the sizes you need for iOS & Android devices.

EasyAppIcon: generate the icon + preview of how it will look like on iOS & Android devices.

Here’s the link.

https://thetool.io/2019/app-icon-tips-tools

• Oh and congratulations.

• I don't do any skeuomorphic type UI's anymore, but there are API's in place that will let you do either vector or bitmapped graphics. If you are targeting recent iOS versions you can even use SF Symbols to make custom vector symbols to load into standard buttons and other controls.

If you go with bitmap graphics you'll need to do all the graphics at multiple resolutions to match the various iOS device screen resolutions (1x, 2x, and 3x currently). You have to do this with icons as an example. I think the icons are the only thing that still has to be done as a bitmap graphic.

Personally, I mostly draw everything programmatically using Quartz. I do this even for the few things I have done that are sort of skeuomorphic like the strings in my CuSnP AU. Drawing in Quartz is pretty much the same as you would in a vector program except that you do it with math for the curves and shading and stuff. It'd be easier to use vector graphics if you were working with a designer, but if you tend towards the math/programming side of things, drawing things programmatically is a doable option. Makes the executables quite a bit smaller too.

• Neon and Poppado, thanks that's helpful

• I’ve done this a few times in the past, I created everything in vector, typically Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, and handed over a pdf of the assets. The devs used that in Xcode for all resolutions.