Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VisualSwift now supports hosting AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions and AUv3 Effects with Multi-output

2»

Comments

• @Jorge
    I see that the beta will only load for testers running iOS 15. Will that be the case for your next release (no backwards compatibility for iOS 14 or earlier)?

• @MisplacedDevelopment great news that it works, to be honest I wasn't expecting it. Might still need a few tweaks. I wonder if there's a reason to work on a native MacOS version, maybe for Intel support but that's probably not enough of a reason.

@Littlewoodg Luckily I haven't used any of the new SwiftUI features that require iPadOS 15 so it will be easy to support iPadOS 14, I'll do that for the next submissions. I wonder what's your reason to use iPadOS 14, is it because you're using one of the devices that lost support for it ( iPad 5th generation, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2 )? It's easier for me not to support older devices, at least for now.

• @Jorge said:
    @MisplacedDevelopment great news that it works, to be honest I wasn't expecting it. Might still need a few tweaks. I wonder if there's a reason to work on a native MacOS version, maybe for Intel support but that's probably not enough of a reason.

@Littlewoodg Luckily I haven't used any of the new SwiftUI features that require iPadOS 15 so it will be easy to support iPadOS 14, I'll do that for the next submissions. I wonder what's your reason to use iPadOS 14, is it because you're using one of the devices that lost support for it ( iPad 5th generation, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2 )? It's easier for me not to support older devices, at least for now.

I have a new Air 4, but I’m preserving some beloved apps that are no longer supported by their devs, or the new iOS. Thanks for being in touch. I have last release on my device, and find it inspiring.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Jorge
    I see that the beta will only load for testers running iOS 15. Will that be the case for your next release (no backwards compatibility for iOS 14 or earlier)?

The latest App Store version 1.2.4 now supports iOS 14, the same with the TestFlight version, I hope it works.

• @Jorge said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Jorge

The latest App Store version 1.2.4 now supports iOS 14, the same with the TestFlight version, I hope it works.

Thanks very much @Jorge !

• Latest VisualSwift - Music TestFlight version 1.1.18 is now available introducing Undo / Redo.
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p

Undo / Redo is quite challenging as there are many different situations, help with testing the following would be great.

1) Move component + Undo + Redo.
    2) Resize component + Undo + Redo.
    3) Create Link + Undo + Redo.
    4) Delete Link + Undo + Redo.
    5) Move Link End Point to another Input + Undo + Redo.
    6) Create component from Double Tap + Undo + Redo.
    7) Create component dragged from Library + Undo + Redo.
    8) Select more than one component + Delete + Undo + Redo.
    9) Delete selection of connected components + Undo + Redo.
    10) Create full schematic, try undoing all the way back and forward again.
    11) Test Undoing/Redoing while transport is playing.

• edited December 2021

Thanks @Jorge on my ipad 12.9 ios 15.1 VS (appstore version) starts upside down from all other apps which makes using it difficult to use regularly, I'm surprised that no one else has been reporting this, it can't be just my ipad with the issue.

• @Carnbot , Great thanks.

I also use an iPad 12.9 but had my screen orientation locked, that probably explains why I never noticed.

I've just now made available the latest TestFlight build that now supports both landscape orientations.

Please note that the TestFlight version installs separately from the App Store version which is useful for testers to troubleshoot.

• @Jorge said:
    @Carnbot , Great thanks.

I also use an iPad 12.9 but had my screen orientation locked, that probably explains why I never noticed.

I've just now made available the latest TestFlight build that now supports both landscape orientations.

Please note that the TestFlight version installs separately from the App Store version which is useful for testers to troubleshoot.

Great thanks, I'll install the testflight version :)

• Since you can't load this into another app for recording.... and I don't see a module within the app for recording... other than recording via headphone port, etc.... how do you record compositions with this app? I'm guessing it's something simple staring right at me?

• edited December 2021

Hi @skiphunt

Thanks for your question.
    I had worked in the past on an Audio Recorder component but made it low priority until now.
    I had also worked on a MIDI track recorder but realised that it was much better to just host an existing AUv3 MIDI editor/recorder like Atom Piano Roll for example, I'd never be able to get to the same level of features and polish. I thought the same would apply to audio, that there would be out there a really good plugin that you could host for recording and editing audio ( I don't make music so the feedback I get from this forum is very valuable ).

Because you mentioned it, I've uploaded a new TestFlight version ( build 23 ) with a very initial version of the Audio Recorder component.

Here's a screenshot:

On the Recorder component, both the play and record buttons will go blue when armed.
    To record, tap the record button inside the component ( it should become blue ), then tap the record button on the Transport View in the NavBar.
    To stop recording, tap again the record button in the NavBar. The Recorder's play button should become blue meaning it is armed for playing. Then if you rewind and tap the play button in the NavBar it should play it.
    If this behaviour is unusual or needs improving please let me know.

The component shows two waves, the top one just represents the audio that is flowing through the component even if it's not being recorded. The other wave ( actually two for left and right channels ) represents what is stored in the Audio File.

There is also a share button that allows you to export the audio file through the standard iOS share interface.

Because this is an initial version of the component, I didn't include it in the Double-Tap menu ( which is much quicker to use ) so you'll have to drag it to the schematic from the Libraries view on the right side.

• @Jorge said:
    Hi @skiphunt

Thanks for your question.
    I had worked in the past on an Audio Recorder component but made it low priority until now.
    I had also worked on a MIDI track recorder but realised that it was much better to just host an existing AUv3 MIDI editor/recorder like Atom Piano Roll for example, I'd never be able to get to the same level of features and polish. I thought the same would apply to audio, that there would be out there a really good plugin that you could host for recording and editing audio ( I don't make music so the feedback I get from this forum is very valuable ).

Because you mentioned it, I've uploaded a new TestFlight version ( build 23 ) with a very initial version of the Audio Recorder component.

Here's a screenshot:

On the Recorder component, both the play and record buttons will go blue when armed.
    To record, tap the record button inside the component ( it should become blue ), then tap the record button on the Transport View in the NavBar.
    To stop recording, tap again the record button in the NavBar. The Recorder's play button should become blue meaning it is armed for playing. Then if you rewind and tap the play button in the NavBar it should play it.
    If this behaviour is unusual or needs improving please let me know.

The component shows two waves, the top one just represents the audio that is flowing through the component even if it's not being recorded. The other wave ( actually two for left and right channels ) represents what is stored in the Audio File.

There is also a share button that allows you to export the audio file through the standard iOS share interface.

Because this is an initial version of the component, I didn't include it in the Double-Tap menu ( which is much quicker to use ) so you'll have to drag it to the schematic from the Libraries view on the right side.

Hi Jorge,

I'm not on the testflight of this app. I'm intrigued by it because I've been trying to get used to node-based editing. More for video, but I kind of like this approach to audio too.

I do have a testflight account though. I'll message you with my address if you'd like to add me. Otherwise, I'll wait for it to make it to the released version. :)

• @skiphunt

I've sent you a message with the details, I don't need to use your email address as I've setup a public TestFlight link, in case someone else wants it, here it is: https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p

• Can I ask about switching auv3 preset, or chains of plugins / modules via midi?