Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Keyboard range in AudioKit Synth One and 2000

Hi, I’m looking to layer bass and pad patches but naturally want to limit the keyboard range in which they operate (for live work).

Normally there is a “range” setting to do this but I can’t see it in my AudioKit synths.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kr

Comments

• @MikeFloutier said:
    Hi, I’m looking to layer bass and pad patches but naturally want to limit the keyboard range in which they operate (for live work).

Normally there is a “range” setting to do this but I can’t see it in my AudioKit synths.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kr

What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you looking for a keyboard split?

You could use AUM for MIDI routing, even though Synth One is IAA only. Load Synth One in an AUM audio lane. Use the hamburger menu alongside to route MIDI and select the note range. Same for the other synths.

For more general madness, I use a StreamByter script integrated with my LX61+ keyboard/controller. Hold a button, strike a note, to set the split position. Transpose the left side up and the right down by up to 3 octaves, controlled by two knobs. The right output is on a different MIDI channel, so I can route them to different synths in AUM.

• edited December 2021

UncleDave said: “What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you looking for a keyboard split?”

Many thanks UncleDave, I’m aiming for layering a Bass synth with a lowish range next to a pad with a mid/high range. I do want some layering in the middle so splits won’t work.

The Midi data is going to be coming from my acoustic guitar via Midi Guitar 2.

All I’m really trying to ascertain is whether AudioKit synths have the onboard capability to assign a range restriction. It’s seems a pretty common feature but, for some reason, I can’t seem to find it in the apps.

• Midi Tools keyboard splitter. I created a template with it and always gives me the same keyboard split. Be sure to disable midi effect after recording. (Freezes up Cubasis

• @MikeFloutier said:
    UncleDave said: “What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you looking for a keyboard split?”

Many thanks UncleDave, I’m aiming for layering a Bass synth with a lowish range next to a pad with a mid/high range. I do want some layering in the middle so splits won’t work.

The Midi data is going to be coming from my acoustic guitar via Midi Guitar 2.

All I’m really trying to ascertain is whether AudioKit synths have the onboard capability to assign a range restriction. It’s seems a pretty common feature but, for some reason, I can’t seem to find it in the apps.

I don't believe the AudioKit synths have a note range setting. As I already suggested, you could use AUM to restrict the ranges sent to the different instruments. There are doubtless other ways, but what you need is all built-in to AUM.

Actually, I don't recall noticing this capability in any of the synth apps I have. Perhaps you're accustomed to the higher-priced models which I've never used.

• @uncledave said:
    Actually, I don't recall noticing this capability in any of the synth apps I have. Perhaps you're accustomed to the higher-priced models which I've never used.

Thanks UncleDave, before discovering AudioKit products I always used the free Sampletank offerings from IK Multimedia, which do include keyboard range settings.

Since my only real need is for range restriction on Bass Guitar, I will try using Sampletank for this and Synth One for my pads.

Previously I’d thought that Midi Guitar 2 could only send Midi to one selected synth but yesterday I was able to use two different synths at the same time so I’ll revisit this as a solution, since it’s a “no cost” option.

Thanks also for your suggestion LinearLineman, it’s good to know there are so many solutions out there.