Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• If you pre-order on iPad App Store, do you get access to Mac version?

• @Pierre118 OK, I now understand. We have a "Play" version (cheap!) and a "Pro" one - hence my confusion.

We have two versions of the Pro IAP - one for just iOS (mobile), and one for both iOS and macOS.

I'd recommend you look at either the Mobile subscription of Pro, or (if you also use macOS) the "full" Wotja 22 Pro with our early bird pricing.

We've had to increase our prices, to reflect the increased complexity (and support costs to us) of offering Hosted plug-in support; and to invest in further development of Wotja.

Best wishes,

Pete

• @auxmux said:
    If you pre-order on iPad App Store, do you get access to Mac version?

Hi! Yes, absolutely; the iOS, macOS and tvOS app variants are all part of the same bundle!

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@auxmux said:
    If you pre-order on iPad App Store, do you get access to Mac version?

Hi! Yes, absolutely; the iOS, macOS and tvOS app variants are all part of the same bundle!

Best wishes, Pete

Thanks! 😄

• @Pierre118 I forgot to mention that those customers who have already existing subscriptions, will find that their prices are grandfathered until the end of 2022!! That is detailed in the blog post at the top of this thread.

• @auxmux said:
    Thanks! 😄

You're welcome :smile: We try hard to give great value, but it is always a challenge and we never get it right for everybody!

Best wishes, Pete

• Another option for IAP users, is to (say) take the Pro Tier for a month, create lots of content; and then change to a Play Tier - you can then open and play all your content. If you want to get back to creating/editing at some point, you can move back to a Pro Tier again.

Lots of options! Pete

• @impete said:
    @Pierre118 I forgot to mention that those customers who have already existing subscriptions, will find that their prices are grandfathered until the end of 2022!! That is detailed in the blog post at the top of this thread.

I was planning to step-in with the new Wotja 22 subscription. But no, the €4,49 (50% raise of the price) is too much for me. Wish you the best with the new version.

• @Pierre118 said:
    I was planning to step-in with the new Wotja 22 subscription. But no, the €4,49 (50% raise of the price) is too much for me. Wish you the best with the new version.

OK, thanks Pierre. Take a look at my suggestion above about maybe starting with Free, seeing if you like the Host features etc.; then subscribe to Pro (maybe mobile only, as that is cheaper), and switching back to Play (or just cancelling back to 'free' mode for a while). We've tried hard to make it as flexible as possible for all budgets!

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@Pierre118 said:

OK, thanks Pierre. Take a look at my suggestion above about maybe starting with Free, seeing if you like the Host features etc.; then subscribe to Pro (maybe mobile only, as that is cheaper), and switching back to Play (or just cancelling back to 'free' mode for a while). We've tried hard to make it as flexible as possible for all budgets!

Best wishes, Pete

Pete, I looked at all suggestions but a raise of 50% for a monthly subscription is not reasonable. But it's ok, it's the choice you made.

• @Pierre118 said:
    Pete, I looked at all suggestions but a raise of 50% for a monthly subscription is not reasonable. But it's ok, it's the choice you made.

One more thought - the Wotja Pro 21 app is available for a short time for around $15 as an end-of-year special offer... if you were to use it for 2 years, that works out at 62.5 cents per month...

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete so let me understand the pricing model in USD:
    $24.99 for the full version good for a year for iOS and macOS.

-or-

$3.99 per month cancel at any time?

Also, if one purchases the Wotja21 model today, does that have any affect on the price of Wotja22?

Many thanks and congrats on the new version. Looks like some good stuff under the hood. 👊🏼™️

• edited December 2021

@echoopera said:
    @impete so let me understand the pricing model in USD:
    $24.99 for the full version good for a year for iOS and macOS.

Yes - and the app will of course continue to work beyond the end of 2022, we simply stop maintaining it at the end of 2022.
    The plan is for the early bird pricing to run I think from now (pre-order), until the first week of 2022. That gives you a chance to play with the Free version that is updated on 1st January, to see if the new features are worth your upgrading at that point (or not!).

$3.99 per month cancel at any time?

Yes - there are "Mobile" (iOS) and "All" (iOS & macOS) options to choose between, depending on your needs; as well as a "Play" option. You can switch between these options every month if you want! You can cancel any time, like any other App Store In-App Subscription - full details on the intermorphic.com website.

Also, if one purchases the Wotja21 model today, does that have any affect on the price of Wotja22?

Sorry, but no - they're not connected. We're offering the Wotja 21 special price to the end of the year, to help out those with tighter budgets, who are happy with the Wotja 21 feature set.

Many thanks and congrats on the new version. Looks like some good stuff under the hood. 👊🏼™️

Thank you very much :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited December 2021

@impete - are there any plans to include VST3 (or AUv2) plugin support in the Mac version? I own a load of these plugins for the desktop, but not a whole lot of compatible AUv3s (I'm using an Intel Mac) - it would be great if I could use some of my favourites from within Wotja...cheers!

• @enkaytee said:
    @impete - are there any plans to include VST3 (or AUv2) plugin support in the Mac version? I own a load of these plugins for the desktop, but not a whole lot of AUV3s - it would be great if I could use some of my favourites from within Wotja...cheers!

Hi - a good question!

We're sticking with AUv3 for macOS, as that is what Apple are supporting (thank you Apple!) and we think that really is the future of plug-ins on macOS (and, of course, iOS!). We're reserving our VST3 support for Windows.

The good news is that, provided they're properly signed and marked as 'sandboxSafe', Wotja 22 can generally load AUv2 plug-ins on macOS. If you look in the details of our Blog post, you'll see this bit "macOS: hosted AUv2 plug-ins must be signed and marked as 'sandboxSafe' or they are ignored by Wotja". I honestly don't know how long Apple will continue to support this, but it is great that they are for now at least.

Not all AUv2 plug-ins are built this way however, so sometimes you might find you want to contact the developer and ask them to fix that side of things. Naturally, we've been in touch with a few developers of our favourite AUv2 over the past few months to give them a "heads-up".

On a related note, I'm pretty certain I heard that you can get some AUv2 plug-ins that work as adaptors for VST3 on macOS? Assuming that is right, I really don't know what would happen from a signing perspective.

It is worth remembering that AUv3 plug-ins - which in general are distributed through an Apple app store, run in a sandbox and have been reviewed by Apple, provide a really safe way both for developers to distribute / sell plug-ins, and for users to download and use them. I'm a big fan of what Apple have done here!

Hoping that clarifies things for you?

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited December 2021

Thanks a lot @impete - I'll take a look at the AUv2 sandbox stuff and investigate a generic AUv2 wrapper for VSTS.

I would say that the current crop of AUv3 plugins on the App Store are a bit limited in scope - compared to what's available outside of that distribution method - it may change in time, but I'm not sure if developers will want to transfer their Mac compatible plugins into the App Store (although many of them already have ios versions) but I understand your approach.

@impete said:

@enkaytee said:
    @impete - are there any plans to include VST3 (or AUv2) plugin support in the Mac version? I own a load of these plugins for the desktop, but not a whole lot of AUV3s - it would be great if I could use some of my favourites from within Wotja...cheers!

Hi - a good question!

We're sticking with AUv3 for macOS, as that is what Apple are supporting (thank you Apple!) and we think that really is the future of plug-ins on macOS (and, of course, iOS!). We're reserving our VST3 support for Windows.

The good news is that, provided they're properly signed and marked as 'sandboxSafe', Wotja 22 can generally load AUv2 plug-ins on macOS. If you look in the details of our Blog post, you'll see this bit "macOS: hosted AUv2 plug-ins must be signed and marked as 'sandboxSafe' or they are ignored by Wotja". I honestly don't know how long Apple will continue to support this, but it is great that they are for now at least.

Not all AUv2 plug-ins are built this way however, so sometimes you might find you want to contact the developer and ask them to fix that side of things. Naturally, we've been in touch with a few developers of our favourite AUv2 over the past few months to give them a "heads-up".

On a related note, I'm pretty certain I heard that you can get some AUv2 plug-ins that work as adaptors for VST3 on macOS? Assuming that is right, I really don't know what would happen from a signing perspective.

It is worth remembering that AUv3 plug-ins - which in general are distributed through an Apple app store, run in a sandbox and have been reviewed by Apple, provide a really safe way both for developers to distribute / sell plug-ins, and for users to download and use them. I'm a big fan of what Apple have done here!

Hoping that clarifies things for you?

Best wishes,

Pete

• @enkaytee said:
    Thanks a lot @impete - I'll take a look at the AUv2 sandbox stuff and investigate a generic AUv2 wrapper for VSTS.

I would say that the current crop of AUv3 plugins on the App Store are a bit limited in scope - compared to what's available outside of that distribution method - it may change in time, but I'm not sure if developers will want to transfer their Mac compatible plugins into the App Store (although many of them already have ios versions) but I understand your approach.

The feedback I've been getting is that this is changing - Plug-in manufacturers seeming to have plans in progress to adapt to the new world of App Stores which have made things very easy for customers, and Apple have certainly made this very easy now for App Developers with AUv3!

Best wishes,

Pete

• @enkaytee said:

If it helps any I can confirm that Native Instruments Kontakt, MiRack (as instrument and fx), Decent Sampler and Odin2 all work fine in Wotja on Mac OS.

• @UMCorps said:
    If it helps any I can confirm that Native Instruments Kontakt, MiRack (as instrument and fx), Decent Sampler and Odin2 all work fine in Wotja on Mac OS.

Thanks Mark! :smile:

• edited December 2021

@impete said:
    ... then subscribe to Pro (maybe mobile only, as that is cheaper) ... We've tried hard to make it as flexible as possible for all budgets!

Best wishes, Pete

Interesting to learn that there is a cheaper mobile-only option for subscriptions ... I'm guessing there is some reason this can't be or isn't offered for the Pro one-time purchase?

Tbh it does make a Pro purchase for non MacOS users like myself the least favourable option of all, as we're paying for something we can only use half of, and I guess helping support the lost revenue due to a single combined purchase being usable on both iOS\MacOS ... but maybe there is some technical\Apple Store etc reason why a Pro mobile-only purchase isn't on offer.

Maybe if there was one IAP unlock for "Pro - mobile only", and another for "Pro - mobile and desktop", that would be one approach, but I don't know if that's possible or feasible.

If it was, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but as it is, I'm finding myself a little disincentivised but I REALLY want to support this app :) What to do ...

• @impete said:

@UMCorps said:

Thanks Mark! :smile:

Yes - thanks Mark (and Pete!)

• @enkaytee said:

No problem. The issue you will hit on the Mac desktop with AU2 isn't likely to be that they can't function within the Wotja host. The problem will be in getting them past the validation process imposed by the OS, which is stricter for apps like Wotja than it is for, say, Logic or Reaper. It's a bit of a lottery really. If the developer hasn't thought to flag their plug-in as sandbox safe the OS won't let it through. And its only the developer who can fix that.

Personally I would love to be able to use Spitfire Labs plug-ins inside Wotja. Most of them are a perfect match for the sort of composition Wotja does so well. But, last time I checked, they were still failing validation.

• Preordered my copy yesterday. I just want to say, in tegards to Wotja’s pricing model, meaning one time purchase gets you a year’s worth of updates and “keep forever”. This is by FAR my preferred payment system. I wish more devs would do that.

I hate subscriptions because if you stop paying you are usually left with nothing, while one time purchase and updates forever is unfair to the devs.

• @UMCorps said:

@enkaytee said:

No problem. The issue you will hit on the Mac desktop with AU2 isn't likely to be that they can't function within the Wotja host. The problem will be in getting them past the validation process imposed by the OS, which is stricter for apps like Wotja than it is for, say, Logic or Reaper. It's a bit of a lottery really. If the developer hasn't thought to flag their plug-in as sandbox safe the OS won't let it through. And its only the developer who can fix that.

Personally I would love to be able to use Spitfire Labs plug-ins inside Wotja. Most of them are a perfect match for the sort of composition Wotja does so well. But, last time I checked, they were still failing validation.

Agreed re the Spitfire Labs stuff, they'd be great as Wotja generators - but have you tried loading Kontakt? The 'Albion' Spitfire Kontakt libraries are amazing.

• Kontakt works fine in Wotja. I think the full suite of NI plug-ins passes validation ok but only have first hand experience of Kontakt.
    So you should be good with the Albion libraries.

• @craftycurate said:
    Interesting to learn that there is a cheaper mobile-only option for subscriptions ... I'm guessing there is some reason this can't be or isn't offered for the Pro one-time purchase?

Thanks for asking the question. Getting the bundling, pricing etc. is a knotty problem (as long-term Wotja and Intermorphic fans will know!), and we think we've got a reasonable balance now.

The reason this is tricky, is down to a combination of the limited resources of our 2-man company (just Tim and me!), and a battle to keep customer prices down; balanced against our need to get some sort of reasonable return so we can keep investing in what we do. As much as anything, Wotja is kind of a long-term "curation" project that we're trying our best to look after; there aren't many software products with a lifetime of > 30 years (!) and we've always got a long-term view.

Anyhow: as you know, both Free and Pro versions for Apple platforms are separate bundles of iOS (and watchOS), macOS, tvOS apps.

It is easy for us to offer different "subscription" levels for the "Free" product - so we do. We figure that if we can give better value for mobile-only users, then why shouldn't we? ;) We also think our idea of helping users to move between Pro and Play tiers is also a great way to keep our customer's costs down, for those who like subscriptions, but might not want to work on mixes throughout the year.

On the subject of the "Pro" version, it would be harder to separate out iOS, macOS for the "Pro" product (without in-app purchases) - and we don't want to double-charge as we know lots of our fans use Wotja on both iOS and macOS. So, we decided to price the Pro apps at a "one platform" pricing level, but with our users who have both iOS and macOS simply get the advantage of "all platforms for that one price".

Getting the bundling and pricing "right" is actually quite a challenge for vendors on the Apple stores. I'm not complaining, as the Apple store has huge benefits for those customers who use both operating systems (iOS, macOS), provided the software vendors (such as Intermorphic...) are comfortable with embracing that.

If it was, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but as it is, I'm finding myself a little disincentivised but I REALLY want to support this app :) What to do ...

Maybe we've just given too many options? :wink:

I'd say - just go the cheapest route that suits you best :smile:; but that said: I think that our Wotja 22 Pro early-bird price is an incredible deal.

Anyhow, it is a long-term thing for us; we hope that you really like what you're able to do with Wotja 22, which ever way you support us; and I hope you'll look again at future versions, and keep on supporting us as long as you enjoy what we do!

Of course, we also have nice T-shirts for sale via our "merch" store as well ;)

Best wishes,

Pete

• @impete I used this afternoon to read some more about Wotja 22 and how you came to the pricing. TL;DR.....I just pre-ordered it. For a team of just 2 persons you made a fantastic job, so see my pre-order also as support. Wish you both all the best!

• @impete said:

@craftycurate said:

Thanks for asking the question. Getting the bundling, pricing etc. is a knotty problem (as long-term Wotja and Intermorphic fans will know!), and we think we've got a reasonable balance now.

The reason this is tricky, is down to a combination of the limited resources of our 2-man company (just Tim and me!), and a battle to keep customer prices down; balanced against our need to get some sort of reasonable return so we can keep investing in what we do. As much as anything, Wotja is kind of a long-term "curation" project that we're trying our best to look after; there aren't many software products with a lifetime of > 30 years (!) and we've always got a long-term view.

Anyhow: as you know, both Free and Pro versions for Apple platforms are separate bundles of iOS (and watchOS), macOS, tvOS apps.

It is easy for us to offer different "subscription" levels for the "Free" product - so we do. We figure that if we can give better value for mobile-only users, then why shouldn't we? ;) We also think our idea of helping users to move between Pro and Play tiers is also a great way to keep our customer's costs down, for those who like subscriptions, but might not want to work on mixes throughout the year.

On the subject of the "Pro" version, it would be harder to separate out iOS, macOS for the "Pro" product (without in-app purchases) - and we don't want to double-charge as we know lots of our fans use Wotja on both iOS and macOS. So, we decided to price the Pro apps at a "one platform" pricing level, but with our users who have both iOS and macOS simply get the advantage of "all platforms for that one price".

Getting the bundling and pricing "right" is actually quite a challenge for vendors on the Apple stores. I'm not complaining, as the Apple store has huge benefits for those customers who use both operating systems (iOS, macOS), provided the software vendors (such as Intermorphic...) are comfortable with embracing that.

I'd say - just go the cheapest route that suits you best :smile:; but that said: I think that our Wotja 22 Pro early-bird price is an incredible deal.

Anyhow, it is a long-term thing for us; we hope that you really like what you're able to do with Wotja 22, which ever way you support us; and I hope you'll look again at future versions, and keep on supporting us as long as you enjoy what we do!

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply. Just to be absolutely clear what I am and am not saying here, as some of your reply relates to the value of your work, which is not what I am questioning in any way, nor is it about whether the price offers value for money.

My underlying question is very specific, about the availability of "mobile-only" pricing for subscription users, and whether there could ever be a similar accommodation for those of us who prefer to buy an app outright.

We figure that if we can give better value for mobile-only users, then why shouldn't we? ;)

My thoughts exactly :# Could there ever be an IAP for those who want to upgrade from Free to "Pro, mobile only"? Users like myself who want Pro, but aren't MacOS users, can go this route, and those who want the "one price for both platforms" benefit can buy Wotja Pro?

• edited December 2021

@impete - I don't think I'm in your target audience for Wotja, but I want to compliment you anyway on the clarity and straightforward tone of your communication. Looks like you have a strategy, and you do your best to follow it; you accept the result will not please everyone but that's probably also considered in your plans, which in turn allows you to be polite but resolute when you say no to something. It's really impressive. I hope you guys are successful because that would demonstrate that even a small team can make things work in this pretty harsh environment. Good luck!

Ps. Off-topic, I wish Nanostudio had the same approach (and pricing model) and would then perhaps have a bigger chance to survive and evolve further.

• @craftycurate said:

@impete said:

@craftycurate said:

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply. Just to be absolutely clear what I am and am not saying here, as some of your reply relates to the value of your work, which is not what I am questioning in any way, nor is it about whether the price offers value for money.

My underlying question is very specific, about the availability of "mobile-only" pricing for subscription users, and whether there could ever be a similar accommodation for those of us who prefer to buy an app outright.

We figure that if we can give better value for mobile-only users, then why shouldn't we? ;)

My thoughts exactly :# Could there ever be an IAP for those who want to upgrade from Free to "Pro, mobile only"? Users like myself who want Pro, but aren't MacOS users, can go this route, and those who want the "one price for both platforms" benefit can buy Wotja Pro?

So, to recap, you really want to support the app, you think it represents great work and value but because there isn't a price specifically just for mobile, you feel like you are paying too much?

Really?