Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack — now AUv3! — for Beginners

Comments

• Uggggggggg. Now I’m going to really have to stop watching Netflix and dig into this.

• my suggestion for starting with mirack /modular is to build a basic synth : voice / adsr / amp / filter / clock / sequencer . build this same synth over and over again until you can do it without the help of a video or diagram and without thinking, then take that synth and add to it.. LFO and other modulation sources/ more voices ...
    don’t try to use every thing at once just cuz it looks cool or can do great things... start small and slow and build your way into a mega rack

• Wow great track! Really reminded me of The Fairy Tale by Biosphere.

@cuscolima said:
    Incredible. Can you realise the power of what is going on here.

The CPU footprint is very acceptable, that was my major fear about this new feature

Just the use of the effects in AUM worth the app and it can do so much more...

Here is a first little track using three miRack AU modules and standard presets (you don't have to pay me for this...)

• @aleyas said:
    Wow great track! Really reminded me of The Fairy Tale by Biosphere.

@cuscolima said:

The CPU footprint is very acceptable, that was my major fear about this new feature

Here is a first little track using three miRack AU modules and standard presets (you don't have to pay me for this...)

Thanks a lot, the comparison is very flattering

• I need to start here - thanks!

@reasOne said:
    my suggestion for starting with mirack /modular is to build a basic synth : voice / adsr / amp / filter / clock / sequencer . build this same synth over and over again until you can do it without the help of a video or diagram and without thinking, then take that synth and add to it.. LFO and other modulation sources/ more voices ...
    don’t try to use every thing at once just cuz it looks cool or can do great things... start small and slow and build your way into a mega rack

• I found this website just today https://courses.learningmodular.com Don't know anything about it, but it's worth giving the free course a try I guess.

• So no problem getting the AU to play in Zenbeats.... is there a trick I’m missing to record the output? I can capture it fine in AUM.... hope this is not a sample rate issue again in Zenbeats

• @cuscolima said:

@aleyas said:
    Wow great track! Really reminded me of The Fairy Tale by Biosphere.

@cuscolima said:

Thanks a lot, the comparison is very flattering

It does have a certain likeness to Bioshphere. I approve:)

So I should pick up miRack one day, it seems.

• Hi!

If you consider it helpful, I have a collection of miRack patches available at Patchstorage. Most are Templates, including lots of synthesizers with different synthesis methods, drum synthesizers and grooveboxes. They were made as starting points for learning miRack and developing synthesis skills. :)

https://patchstorage.com/author/fabio-ribeiro/

• @FRibeiro said:
    Hi!

If you consider it helpful, I have a collection of miRack patches available at Patchstorage. Most are Templates, including lots of synthesizers with different synthesis methods, drum synthesizers and grooveboxes. They were made as starting points for learning miRack and developing synthesis skills. :)

https://patchstorage.com/author/fabio-ribeiro/

Thanks so much. Love your patches.

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

@onerez said:
    So no problem getting the AU to play in Zenbeats.... is there a trick I’m missing to record the output? I can capture it fine in AUM.... hope this is not a sample rate issue again in Zenbeats

Not a sample rate problem, but it’s problematic to do something like that in general in Zenbeats. Zenbeats is geared toward “Instrument’s”, not “Generators”. When you record a clip in an instrument track, you’re recording midi, not audio, then that midi plays back in an instrument. It isn’t really set up as far as I can see for apps that generate their own audio.

I’m not sure there’s a way to record the audio in ZB. Too sleepy right now to really think it through though. 🥱

• Would anyone be willing to help me build a polyphonic resonator?

• @Hursoom said:
    Would anyone be willing to help me build a polyphonic resonator?

You could just connect 4 audible instruments rings/elements to a quad midi converter and you're away?

• @ronnieb what do I connect the vel in quad to? What about the gates? Resonator(rings) has only in, v/oct and strum. Also what about the ADSR ? I can’t seem to figure it out on my own.

• @Hursoom no need for ADSRs as karplus strong type of synthesis has its own envelope behaviour (it simulates something hitting a material, like a pick hitting a guitar string or a stick hitting a wood surface). The quickest way to build a 4 voice stringy/resonator synth would be to have the Quad Midi send its pitch (1v /oct output) to the voct input on four Rings or Elements (Rings is easier, less parameters... also Braids and Plaits have easier emulations of Rings, sorry dont remember the miRack names for these). Then connect the four gates into either trig or strum inputs (depends on the module you are using). That way you can now use AUMs keyboard to play the synth with up to 4 voices. If you are using a midi controller with velocity (or sending velocity from somewhere else inside AUM, like a sequencer or something that sends velocity), you could use that to control the dampening/brightness of the strings... depending on wether you are using Rings, Elements, Braids or Plaits, this are different inputs. Just mess around. If you want to add ADSRs, you will need to trigger them sending the gate output from the Quad Midi and its outputs could go anywhere you want movement, just mess around with the controls and if you feel it would be nice to have them automate, just connect the adsr into them. Have fuuun patching :)

• @mifki Hi - I’m curious to know if there is any MiRack news to share? The release of VCV Rack 2.0 has got me patching again. It would be great to see some new modules come to MiRack.

Cheers

• So is MiRack a competitor for Drambo or what?

• @NeuM said:
    So is MiRack a competitor for Drambo or what?

Not really. MiRack is true modular in the Eurorack hardware sense. Freer than Drambo in some respects because you can choose where everything goes in the rack and how you want to patch it. And the modules are programmed by different developers rather than just one so maybe some more variation in that respect.

Drambo is it’s own singular vision and it is amazing.

• @NeuM said:
    So is MiRack a competitor for Drambo or what?

As @gusgranite said .. plus in my personal experience, miRack is for me better in terms of not to get lost in more complex patches - where i still have perfect overview in miRack even on relatively complex patch, in Drambo i get quickly lost when i start patch something more complicated .. it is what it is, not saying Drambo is bad, just for me, for pure modular madness, miRack works much better ..

• I’d also say that miRack is far better when it comes to the creation of generative music patches (Berlin School and suchlike). Drambo is designed as a performance instrument, very much in line with the Elektron hardware product line.

I'm not saying that generative systems are impossible with Drambo, it's just that VCV Rack (miRack) is far better suited to the task.

• I agree, Drambo is better suited to building instrument racks, and it's very good at that :)
    miRack is better suited to more traditional modular workflow.

• This has been around for awhile, and was made by a member on Muffs (now Modwiggler).

http://www.tips.modularparts.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/The-book-of-bad-ideas-V2.pdf

Kind of a modular “tips & tricks” book. With ideas collected from the forum.

• I am just getting into MIrack and i love it.
    I must ad that starting with modular in Drambo has been a big help understanding how MIrack works.

• Is there any way to browse the modules by category?

I can only see categories after I‘ve entered a search term, so I guess in principle the functionality is there…

• @dobbs said:
    Is there any way to browse the modules by category?

I can only see categories after I‘ve entered a search term, so I guess in principle the functionality is there…

Tap on the Tags button at the top of the module list.

• Oh man, thanks. Now that I know that, it is embarrassingly obvious :D

• I am yet to start learning more about modular setups and patching, but MiRack looks brilliantly made.
    I was wondering if it can be used mixer wise within Cubasis to kind of overcome Cubasis lack of subgrouping, aux channels and having the send channels as audio tracks.
    I often feel limited when wanting to group my drum instruments separately within the entire drum group.
    Can we route tracks to a MiRacks Mixer for Multi Output purposes?

• @Bob said:
    I am yet to start learning more about modular setups and patching, but MiRack looks brilliantly made.
    I was wondering if it can be used mixer wise within Cubasis to kind of overcome Cubasis lack of subgrouping, aux channels and having the send channels as audio tracks.
    I often feel limited when wanting to group my drum instruments separately within the entire drum group.

Hopefully, someone who has both Cubasis and MiRack will come along with a definitive answer, but what I have just tried is adding a 16 channel MiRack FX instance to an AUM channel (effects slot), and you can add the same instance it to other channels as a multi-bus AU. So you could probably pipe in 16 channels and pipe out as many as you want up to 16. However, connecting all that up fries my brain just thinking about it, TBH, and it kind of depends on Cubasis's abilities to handle multi-bus AUs, both input and output.

• @bygjohn said:

@Bob said:
    I am yet to start learning more about modular setups and patching, but MiRack looks brilliantly made.

Hopefully, someone who has both Cubasis and MiRack will come along with a definitive answer, but what I have just tried is adding a 16 channel MiRack FX instance to an AUM channel (effects slot), and you can add the same instance it to other channels as a multi-bus AU. So you could probably pipe in 16 channels and pipe out as many as you want up to 16. However, connecting all that up fries my brain just thinking about it, TBH, and it kind of depends on Cubasis's abilities to handle multi-bus AUs, both input and output.

Thanks for checking in AUM, I know AUM has far better routing options in this regard than Cubasis. The multi-bus inputs could be what I'm worried about in Cubasis...
    Let's see if someone uses MiRack mixing setups In Cubasis. Could be interesting.

• @Bob said:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to be able to route multiple Cubasis tracks to a single miRack instance, then to be able to mix them individually within miRack, then output them back to Cubasis? If so, then no, that's not possible.