Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@elf_audio said:
    @tahiche The reason koala's file picker looks a lot like sample crate is because they both use a stock iOS component from Apple called UIDocumentBrowserViewController (see here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidocumentbrowserviewcontroller?language=objc)

I have to thank sample crate and @alecsbuga for showing me that it was possible to put a sample preview into the UIDocumentBrowserViewController, but the floating player thing is basically the only sensible way to do a player inside a document browser without breaking too many of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

What are these guidelines, out of interest? What are you not allowed to do?

Basically Apple doesn't like us to do ugly shit :) They have a clause that allows them to reject our apps if they "don't like it" to put it in plain English... among other shitty clauses.

On the other hand the Apple HIG is great because if you're accustomed to a UI pattern then you can apply all that knowledge to other apps. Consistency is key.

And yes, that UIDocumentBrowserViewController Marek is talking about is a bit restrictive so you need to be creative in how you leverage it.

• @alecsbuga said:?
    Basically Apple doesn't like us to do ugly shit :) They have a clause that allows them to reject our apps if they "don't like it" to put it in plain English... among other shitty clauses.

I’m really surprised to hear that considering there are a few apps with really ugly and impractical UIs.

I guess the reviewers have the occasional off day.

• @elf_audio said:
    @Samu it's coming, there will be both options (AND more)! Just had a bit of a brain wave about something completely unrelated that koala needs urgently, you'll see the beta v soon!

Cool!

Please do add global transport buttons (Play, Record & Tempo) to all 'tabs' to the ever growing list.

This will be especially handy when/if you decide to add FX automation recording.
    (Naturally with similar 'clear' function present in the pattern sequencer to wipe out badly recorded automation lol).

Y-Axis/Radial velocity to on-screen pads as Koala already responds to midi-velocity should be a no-brainer too no?

A 'shuffle/re-arrange' of pads could be handy (ie. if I drag a pad on top of an already existing pad 'swap' could be an option).
    Sure this would require a bit of 'logic' in case the samples are used in a pattern (this could be an additional option).

And I've seen the request for being able to set the key for the onscreen keyboard and I agree it could be handy.

This on the other hand raises the question about a 'tuning oscillator' when tuning samples (especially handy when creating 'waveforms' from very short loops).

I'll make sure to send proper feedback when the B drops :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @michael_m the Human Interface Guidelines are only guidelines, not rules, but they're really good to stick by for 95% of the time. https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/overview/themes/ - most developers don't know they exist, and Apple try to remind them as often as possible that they are there to help.

Some of them are backed by some well established academic research. Basically if you're doing something different from them in your app, it's probably a good to question your decision.

Koala definitely breaks a lot of them, got good reasons for most of them haha.

@Samu I'm on the case! Automation still a way off tho.

• Great addition!!

However, I can only audition the files in the stand alone version of Koala. When I use it as an AU, I can load the files, but there is no sound when I try to audition them through the new file audition system. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong? I have disabled AudioShare, so that’s not it.

• @galmandsværk which host are you using?

• @elf_audio said:
    @galmandsværk which host are you using?

AUM

• @galmandsværk said:

@elf_audio said:

AUM

The same in NS2. Works perfectly in standalone, but silent as an auv3.

• @attakk said:

@galmandsværk said:

@elf_audio said:

AUM

The same in NS2. Works perfectly in standalone, but silent as an auv3.

That's strange. It works fine here.

• @galmandsværk @attakk - do you have your mute switch on?

• edited December 2021

@elf_audio said:
    @galmandsværk @attakk - do you have your mute switch on?

In the file picker? There’s a mute switch?

edit Ah - my iPhone’s mute switch!! Yes - I always have it set to mute. Cool! Yes, that was it - many thanks, sorry for the confusion 🙏🙏😊👍

• @elf_audio said:
    @galmandsværk @attakk - do you have your mute switch on?

That was it! Simple solution. Thanks a bunch!

• I‘m a litte bit confused by the order in which multiple files are imported. Is there any logic behind which sample goes to which pad when imported? The samples are certainly not ordered by name. 🤔

• @Artvarg they're in the order in which iOS gives them to koala - I don't sort them, it's just what the drag and drop gives me - I thought it was the order in which they got selected but I've never double checked.

• @elf_audio said:
    @Artvarg they're in the order in which iOS gives them to koala - I don't sort them, it's just what the drag and drop gives me - I thought it was the order in which they got selected but I've never double checked.

Yes it's the order iOS gives them.
    I noticed when developing Sample Crate Drag To Export. If you order the pads in the Crate and then drag them over to Koala, it respects the order I send them. Which is super cool.

I wish more apps like BM3 would support multi drag.

• @elf_audio I used audio import and then select all to import a folder of neatly named loops from BlocsWave. I was a bit confused because I couldn’t make out any logic behind the order and resorted to importing groups of files. So it’s not a big deal. I was just curious.

• @elf_audio Ableton drum rack export is a great addition and works really well.

• Great update as usual. I think the only thing I could really want more from the app is some more advanced sequencing to put in ratchets or chance etc

• @alecsbuga said:

@elf_audio said:
    @Artvarg they're in the order in which iOS gives them to koala - I don't sort them, it's just what the drag and drop gives me - I thought it was the order in which they got selected but I've never double checked.

Yes it's the order iOS gives them.
    I noticed when developing Sample Crate Drag To Export. If you order the pads in the Crate and then drag them over to Koala, it respects the order I send them. Which is super cool.

I wish more apps like BM3 would support multi drag.

When I ‘drag to export’ out of the crate onto koala pads I’m getting (koala) crashes. iPhone and iPad. Am doing something wrong?

• Hmm, same here. @elf_audio might have changed how he handles multiple files because it worked.
    Koala seems to be the one that crashes.

• In the auv3, Koala keeps crashing when I press "resample file". No problems when I use Koala in stand alone. I don't use it myself, just happened to stumble across this bug.

• Hi guys.

Is there a way to 'Bulk' normalize all the samples at once?

Same for Bounce / Chop etc?

I've tried to find out before posting the question but unable to find any info on this as yet.

Cheers

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Hi guys.

No. There are no bulk operations.

• @wim said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Hi guys.

No. There are no bulk operations.

Thank Wim.

I would certainly use a "Normalze All" option on sample export. @elf_audio Any chance on this? Cheers.

• @GrimLucky said:
    @elf_audio Ableton drum rack export is a great addition and works really well.

Would be also cool to import them.

• If I missed this question to Elf Audio then my apologies.

Quick question this last update on ipados & Android has changed something in regards to sample export.... I guess ill dig in tonight and see what changed in the file output. Seems something with the wrapper/container. Also has koala in the past used LPCM

• edited December 2021

@zedzdeadbaby said:
    If I missed this question to Elf Audio then my apologies.

Quick question this last update on ipados & Android has changed something in regards to sample export.... I guess ill dig in tonight and see what changed in the file output. Seems something with the wrapper/container. Also has koala in the past used LPCM

The 'song/project' format has changed a bit. It's now a 'zip-file' (change the extension if/when you need to extract it).
    This was done to make it easier to share projects.

• edited December 2021

Sampling is great. Yet a rabbit hole of resampling.

• edited December 2021

@Samu said:

@zedzdeadbaby said:
    If I missed this question to Elf Audio then my apologies.

The 'song/project' format has changed a bit. It's now a 'zip-file' (change the extension if/when you need to extract it).
    This was done to make it easier to share projects.

Cheers Samu I did notice that. It has something to do with the wav wrapper.. at the segments level or metadata.

Ill reach out to elf....

• Finally got this app. Had tons of other options for doing the same thing but nothing as simple as this, and now that triggering certain samples are a necessity for me I am glad to have it