Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM / AB3 / CB3 - multi midi clock destinations?..

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @Iguai
    Bump for the same q? How to distribute AUM clock to multiple hardware synths?

• Not sure if it helps but I use this clock splitter to send to four pieces of hardware. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

• Audiobus can send clock to as may destinations as your device can recognize, each with individually configurable timing compensation. Just load AUM in Audiobus (or not) turn on Link and Link Start/Stop (to synchronize AUM and AB), and set up the midi sync for the other destinations. Audiobus' midi clock implementation is as rock solid as iOS midi clock gets.

• Sorry to revive this dead thread, but this limitation is still present and still frustrating.

Sending midi clock to multiple targets seems really straightforward.

I get that I can use Audiobus to help with this but relying on extra apps in general decreases reliability. I have one device with 5-Pin MIDI and one with USB MIDI and can't use both at once :(

I think what's most frustrating about this is that AUM won't take MIDI clock as an input, so if you don't want to run a background app you have to make it the source of the clock. But then it only wants to output it to one location. One of these two should really be improved.

• @quartzite - I don't agree that adding Audiobus to handle clock decreases reliability.

However, if you're using AUM, then a Mozaic script I wrote might be a workable solution. It can send midi clock out to any destination that AUM will allow you to route to.

https://patchstorage.com/midi-clock-tool/

• edited December 2021

@wim said:
    @quartzite - I don't agree that adding Audiobus to handle clock decreases reliability.

However, if you're using AUM, then a Mozaic script I wrote might be a workable solution. It can send midi clock out to any destination that AUM will allow you to route to.

Thanks for this, I didn't think about using mozaic / streambyter, definitely a good solution. I'll try out your mozaic :)

I don't trust iOS background apps in general. Also it is an extra setup step that can be forgotten when performing. Not trying to knock Audiobus, I think its very stable.

Edit: This is the sort of thing that makes it hard for me to recommend AUM to my hardware friends. This weird hacky-feeling extra step is a total non-starter. Which is sad because AUM + a few AUv3s has so much potential for a hybrid setup.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@quartzite - I'll be interested to hear if it works for you. It was an experiment. I've heard from a few people that it worked for them, but I don't think many have tried it out. Use the "Host Sync" option, which is the most accurate.

I definitely agree that sending Midi clock out to multiple destinations is something all hosts should do. Hopefully @j_liljedahl will someday add that to AUM.

(BTW, I know you don't want to add Audiobus into the mix, but as far as it being a setup step that might be forgotten, Audiobus has full session restore, so I think that if you saved the sessions in Audiobus, with AUM loaded in Audiobus, it would be one-step load for everything. I'm not advocating that - just passing it along in case you weren't aware of that.)

• edited December 2021

@wim said:
    (BTW, I know you don't want to add Audiobus into the mix, but as far as it being a setup step that might be forgotten, Audiobus has full session restore, so I think that if you saved the sessions in Audiobus, with AUM loaded in Audiobus, it would be one-step load for everything. I'm not advocating that - just passing it along in case you weren't aware of that.)

This is a good point and one I had forgotten. I've stopped using anything besides the AUv3 protocol so I forgot AUM can launch Audiobus itself :). That fact might push me over the edge. (Edit: Wait, I get it now Audiobus launches AUM, that still might work well enough for me.)

Thanks for working with me on this @wim, I do really appreciate it. I still really think multiple clock destinations are a no-brainer but this might tie me over until that glorious day :D

• @wim I ended up taking a try at your Mozaic script. Overall it seems to work well, but I noticed a bug with it. When I load my AUM preset that has the Mozaic script, the clock multiplier seems to get set to the lowest value, even though the UI shows it as 1x (or whatever value it was set to before saving).

I tried hacking around it to just have it set to 1x always on load (as I don't care about clock multiplication) but I didn't succeed in a quick exploration. I'm just not very well versed with Mozaic. I may take another try at it in a bit.

• @quartzite said:
    @wim I ended up taking a try at your Mozaic script. Overall it seems to work well, but I noticed a bug with it. When I load my AUM preset that has the Mozaic script, the clock multiplier seems to get set to the lowest value, even though the UI shows it as 1x (or whatever value it was set to before saving).

I tried hacking around it to just have it set to 1x always on load (as I don't care about clock multiplication) but I didn't succeed in a quick exploration. I'm just not very well versed with Mozaic. I may take another try at it in a bit.

Thanks for that report. I'm sure I can find and fix that easily.

• Hey @quartzite - I'm pretty sure that's fixed now.