Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatMaker 3 Knobs Sensivity - Added Loopy Pro Macros Control Slider Over Workaround

edited December 2021 in General App Discussion

I’m new to BM3. I enjoy the experience except for knobs sensitivity. Is it normal to have micro movement with small incremental value changes when moving slowly, and much bigger when moving a tad faster finger on screen. I find them inconsistent and hard to control, with tons of value jumps.

No settings?

iPad Pro M1 with ProMotion, disabling 120 hz changes nothing.

This app is very appealing, but if knobs are that difficult to control I will never use it.

EDIT: I’ve found a cool workaround with Loopy Pro in Slide Over:

Comments

• Yeah the knobs suck for sure. Sometimes I have better luck if I double tap to use the left right slider, or an Apple Pencil, but they are definitely amongst the worst knobs on iOS

• @db909 said:
    Yeah the knobs suck for sure. Sometimes I have better luck if I double tap to use the left right slider, or an Apple Pencil, but they are definitely amongst the worst knobs on iOS

You got used to it? Isn’t it tedious to move all sampler knobs for sound design for example, especially on long sessions? Is it fixed when using midi control? It seems that it can be long to assign via macro.

Other than that, I really like BM3 environnent, software structure and menus, even graphics and colors. Demos sounds very good. I will make some stuff in it and see if I can manage those knobs.

• Something I do with over-sensitive knobs and sliders is enable the accessibility Loupe Zoom (some kind fellow clued me onto this tip here on the AB forum way back when). Great on iPads but even better on iPhones where you’re really screwed with twitchy interface elements.

You can set up the Loupe Zoom to be activated by a gesture.

• edited November 2021

@jonmoore said:
    Something I do with over-sensitive knobs and sliders is enable the accessibility Loupe Zoom (some kind fellow clued me onto this tip here on the AB forum way back when). Great on iPads but even better on iPhones where you’re really screwed with twitchy interface elements.

You can set up the Loupe Zoom to be activated by a gesture.

Yes I use also this trick, even on iPad it’s super useful. Here it’s more about lack of precision and response than oversensitive knobs. When moving slowly they’re even almost near zero sensitivity, almost one tick per pixel and you have to move your finger a lot on screen for small movement. Really weird.

EDIT: In fact using zoom can help a little bit. It’s also possible to set value manually.

• Congrats, good app!

• @Janosax said:

@db909 said:
    Yeah the knobs suck for sure. Sometimes I have better luck if I double tap to use the left right slider, or an Apple Pencil, but they are definitely amongst the worst knobs on iOS

You got used to it? Isn’t it tedious to move all sampler knobs for sound design for example, especially on long sessions? Is it fixed when using midi control? It seems that it can be long to assign via macro.

Other than that, I really like BM3 environnent, software structure and menus, even graphics and colors. Demos sounds very good. I will make some stuff in it and see if I can manage those knobs.

Forgot about macros. Actually they aren’t tedious at all once you know how to set them up, and what’s great is, you can unbind them any time you want and nothing changes or gets weird. I often assign 2 macros that are somewhat related (like filter cutoff and resonance) and use the xy pads to dial in BOTH parameters simultaneously, avoiding the knobs altogether. If I run out of macros, I simply unbind some to make room for more, again the adjusted values for parameters will stay set just as if you turned the knob. Add in the fact you can assign something like 4 - 8 parameters to a single macro, which is also a single xy pad axis, and have them going in varying degrees of positive or negative values, you can pretty much avoid the knobs completely and use macros with the xy pad to do everything. And it sounds way cooler with multiple parameters being adjusted and is more than efficient ultimately. So learn the macros, they will make things easier and more fun in BM3

• edited November 2021

@db909 said:

@Janosax said:

@db909 said:

Forgot about macros. Actually they aren’t tedious at all once you know how to set them up, and what’s great is, you can unbind them any time you want and nothing changes or gets weird. I often assign 2 macros that are somewhat related (like filter cutoff and resonance) and use the xy pads to dial in BOTH parameters simultaneously, avoiding the knobs altogether. If I run out of macros, I simply unbind some to make room for more, again the adjusted values for parameters will stay set just as if you turned the knob. Add in the fact you can assign something like 4 - 8 parameters to a single macro, which is also a single xy pad axis, and have them going in varying degrees of positive or negative values, you can pretty much avoid the knobs completely and use macros with the xy pad to do everything. And it sounds way cooler with multiple parameters being adjusted and is more than efficient ultimately. So learn the macros, they will make things easier and more fun in BM3

Thanks for all those information.

BTW, I tried on an AIR3 and it’s better, so it’s certainly because of lack of update for Pro models, at least in my case 11"
    Also it works very OK with a mouse, much more precise. With fingers, I start to get used to it. Good to know mouse is an option for long sessions.
    Workflow seems to be nice and intuitive, nice to have that app, no regrets especially for this price.

• @Janosax Thanks for posting this. I occasionally go back to BM3 thinking it can be my iOS DAW of choice but every time I do I instantly abandon the idea because of the interaction on the knobs (including the macros). I have an 11" iPad Pro and the knob action is an instant deal breaker for me. There is some weird acceleration which drives me crazy. It's ridiculous.

• @soundtemple said:
    @Janosax Thanks for posting this. I occasionally go back to BM3 thinking it can be my iOS DAW of choice but every time I do I instantly abandon the idea because of the interaction on the knobs (including the macros). I have an 11" iPad Pro and the knob action is an instant deal breaker for me. There is some weird acceleration which drives me crazy. It's ridiculous.

All mixer knobs and pan knobs are the worst, sampler ADSR knobs are better. Try a mouse if you can, or try @db909 macros XY suggestion. Zoom idea is also nice, as mentioned by @jonmoore. I’m at the stage of discovering this app, and I try my best to adapt to those knobs issues with my fingers only: I practice to get more precise with them. Why? Because I don’t want to spend time learning BM3 if I will abandon it because of this issue. This app is really appealing, I understand its potential for me and why tons of beat makers use it. What I like with iPad is to have multiple workflows to always get inspired by various music making tools. I believe BM3 will not be updated anymore, it’s a bit sad but this is why the app must be used as it is.

• @soundtemple said:
    @Janosax Thanks for posting this. I occasionally go back to BM3 thinking it can be my iOS DAW of choice but every time I do I instantly abandon the idea because of the interaction on the knobs (including the macros). I have an 11" iPad Pro and the knob action is an instant deal breaker for me. There is some weird acceleration which drives me crazy. It's ridiculous.

Is it your post on Intua Forum? I tried to register with two mail adresses but never received any confirmation, so I can’t post. Even their forum is abandoned!! :D Too bad, there is a market for that kind of beat making app really, truly tons of possibilities wasted, it’s a bit sad 😢

• I wish one could work around basic things like knob sensitivity... was saying this from day1, and it was always dismissed

• edited November 2021

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I wish one could work around basic things like knob sensitivity... was saying this from day1, and it was always dismissed

Yeah I have difficulties seeing myself fighting with knobs for every basic stuff, using zoom etc. This will lead me to avoid using knobs, then entire app. Deal breaker, and it will never be updated. I will try to do at least one song and see if I ask for a refund or keep it.

• Its only £6.99 ( I think ) Will need to see. If live timestretch via link into an aum imput. So bm3 into aum session. Is worth the money vs other apps that time stretch but not live ( Koala etc ) are all thats needed. Theres a good kit bank for drums via launchpad also. Still trying to work out timestretch. If you adjust to tempo it dosent affect the pitch. I guess it means you would slice to pads as to sequence to say drum and bass and the sample sequence. If you wanted it to sound the same sequence as original. It would still sound the same ( pitch wise ) So slicing to sequence is how you sequence audio samples? So where does extending audio here apply to slices? Sustain via pad?

• Example. I use aum to make music. Track ends up being drum and bass. Theres a youtube song. That sounds like. Dum dum dum. Dum dum dum dum but for a dj it wouldnt be in sync. So do you slice and there be sustain via pad? Or do you time stretch the audio track to a bpm matching the aum session?

When you use tube au. In aum. It would sample at a bpm the same as aum already. Even though it might not originally be the same bpm as audio. So how would time stretch apply here?

• Or another example. You sample via tube au a drum and bass track. You sample another track. Both would be files of 120 bpm. What then?

• edited November 2021

You find out tempo of the sampled track (by ear or tap) and you add that tempo to your recorded sample in bm3. At that point if you enable time-stretching, bm3 will handle the rest.

/can’t see how this is knob sensitivity related :)

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    You find out tempo of the sampled track (by ear or tap) and you add that tempo to your recorded sample in bm3. At that point if you enable time-stretching, bm3 will handle the rest.

/can’t see how this is knob sensitivity related :)

I always chat un-related to subject ( I know )

I can make it work. Its just without using app. Still dont understand. Id be routing bm3 to aum ( live ). Samples could be recorded from tube au at the bpm of the aum track already etc. What I mean is. Whats the difference of just slicing audio from tube au and playing from pads and recorded at the aum bpm session vs timestetching.

• Dont know whether to make a thread. Apologies to OP. I guess bm3 would need to know the bpm of the actual sample of the original track in youtube, instead of thinking the bpm of the file and tempo is record via aum? I will just setup quick and see.

• @Janosax said:

@soundtemple said:

Is it your post on Intua Forum? I tried to register with two mail adresses but never received any confirmation, so I can’t post. Even their forum is abandoned!! :D Too bad, there is a market for that kind of beat making app really, truly tons of possibilities wasted, it’s a bit sad 😢

Yep. I posted there. Is the forum dead? Are they no longer updating the app? I abandoned BM3 so haven't been following.

• @soundtemple said:

Yep. I posted there. Is the forum dead?

It seems to be gathering tumbleweed.

Are they no longer updating the app?

No idea, they had an update last year I think and then radio silence.

I abandoned BM3 so haven't been following.

I still use it almost everyday.
    I have one iPad dedicated to it.

• It's an amazing app. Will be a big loss for iOS music production if it goes.

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

@soundtemple said:

@Janosax said:

@soundtemple said:

Yep. I posted there. Is the forum dead? Are they no longer updating the app? I abandoned BM3 so haven't been following.

Mostly dead. Not completely dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

There's a Discord that at one point was alive and kicking. https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/8174/why-this-forum-is-so-quiet-hint-discord

• There's also an FB page where quite a few BM3 users
    post up the beats and tutorials that their making using BM3.
    The most recent post was a few hours ago.

Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/beatmakerapp

• First little track made, it was quite cool, it’s really a nice and interesting app. Knobs were bearable, I used the mouse two or three times, but mostly in creation context it was ok with fingers. No crashes, good exports. Scenes are useful. Nice overall sound, I don’t know why. Something in this workflow is also inspiring. No updates but I keep it!!!

• edited December 2021

@wim said:

@soundtemple said:

@Janosax said:

@soundtemple said:

Mostly dead. Not completely dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

There's a Discord that at one point was alive and kicking. https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/8174/why-this-forum-is-so-quiet-hint-discord

@Gravitas said:
    There's also an FB page where quite a few BM3 users
    post up the beats and tutorials that their making using BM3.
    The most recent post was a few hours ago.

Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/beatmakerapp

Thanks for links!

• The discord is still active, and since the BF sale, there a few new cats around

• edited December 2021

I’ve found a cool workaround with Loopy Pro in Slide Over:

Is there a place to report BM3 issues? Other than Intua forum?

• @Janosax that's a cool application of LoopyPro right there, wow!

In defense of BM3, my knob has been losing some sensitivity recently, too.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Janosax that's a cool application of LoopyPro right there, wow!

Yes Loopy Pro is really interesting as a customizable control surface, and BM3 helps with easy midi learning.

What do you mean, how BM3 has been loosing knobs sensitivity? Recent IPadOS update perhaps?

• @Janosax said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @Janosax that's a cool application of LoopyPro right there, wow!

Yes Loopy Pro is really interesting as a customizable control surface, and BM3 helps with easy midi learning.

What do you mean, how BM3 has been loosing knobs sensitivity? Recent IPadOS update perhaps?

Perhaps a really bad joke.