Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cracked iPad Cracked Screen Best Choice?

edited November 2021 in Knowledge Base

I have an 10.5-inch iPad Pro 521GB. There is a singe hairline crack from the bottom center to the top right. Should I just ignore the damn thing, or is there a simple enough practical way to repair it?

I am good with tools etc. and I'll bet some of you guys have gone through the same concerns, so I figure I'll just ask here, as opposed to the completely whacked Googling, because it seems everyone and their dog has an opinion, and has been said by Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003) "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

I don't mind buying a repair kit, but I guess the question is, what will be the total cost of the kit, plus beer money for my time, plus the risks of screwing up the repair, versus doing nothing and simply using it as is, and saving my pennies and time for a new dog bed.

I have to say though, my 10.5-inch iPad Pro 521GB still works just great, and I have no need for a newer iPad, and it does not seem I will need a newer one for maybe five years if ever, because I bought a MacBook Pro a while ago. In fact, I actually have two iPads, and the other unit (an older but still completely serviceable iPad Air 2 128GB) runs lots of apps just fine, and of course I can run the two iPads together if need be.

I figure the most I would spend on the crack would be $100, plus four hours of my beer time, and only of the chances of success were high.

On the other hand, I do like the iPad environment, and I have invested in quite a few interesting and somewhat unique apps that are not easily duplicatable in Mac or PC, and that crack does piss me off and i have no idea how it happened and it kind'a bugs me.

Comments

• I’d get a decent quality gorilla glass screen protector and keep using it.

• edited November 2021

That's the most secure way - the glass is just a protective surface above the digitizer.
    I've tried to open a damaged iPad Air once... and failed miserably at 1st attempt.
    Cut through the digitizer cable because I messed sides (next time: put a mark on the back) :|
    A tiny bit too much force near the home button broke the display (next time: more heat, less force, more time) :o

But I have a faint memory that repair centers do a glass exchange for about 100bucks

• So far it seems an iPad Pro is $280 Cdn plus taxes. I'm told the LCD and glass must be replaced as one unit. I sure would not pay $313.60 Cdn including taxes for a unit that within a few years will be worth about that much or less. Ebay sells the one I have for about 650 Cdn.

• edited November 2021

No, the part is called Frontpanel/Digitizer Unit, less than $50 US.

• edited November 2021

I quote from one email respondent (others provided similar pricing):

If you book online at www.cellclinic.ca/book we will be happy to replace the screen on your iPad Pro 10.5" for $$299 + tax if just the glass is damaged or $$319 + tax if the touch screen (digitizer) or LCD are damaged. The cost is $10 more if you walk in. We will need to keep your device for approximately 24 hours. Wait times are approximate and dependent on how busy we are when you arrive.

Discounts:
    25% off Battery Bundle. We will test your battery performance capacity and if it's low, you can choose to get a new battery with the discount when it's replaced at the same time as your other repair is completed.
    25% off Screen Protection: Tempered glass or ProtectionPro with any repair (free installation) -- www.cellclinic.ca/protection.
    Warranty Guarantee:

Lifetime warranty on hardware repairs (parts and labour), with the exception of batteries, which have a one-year warranty. Warranty is void if there is physical damage to the part we replaced.

• edited November 2021

Most replacements include both display and digitizer/glass, but the latter can be acquired separate
    https://www.aliexpress.com/ipad-pro-glass-replace_reviews.html
    (just to show some examples - there are possibly frauds or non original parts listed)

time and tools make up the majority of the cost, imho

• edited November 2021

Thank you Master Telefunky, it looks like a doable job, but the risks of me inflicting unrecoverable damage are not without significance, and if I was to DIY, I'd want OEM parts for the simple reason that saving labor costs and exercising my hand-eye coordination is one thing, using potentially cheap / inferior replacement parts is a whole additional level of risk that would take the "f" out of fun to become "un". It's an interesting chat, and I might simply see what happens to my soul over the next seven years.

• @puppychumful said:
    I quote from one email respondent (others provided similar pricing):

If you book online at www.cellclinic.ca/book we will be happy to replace the screen on your iPad Pro 10.5" for $$299 + tax if just the glass is damaged or $$319 + tax if the touch screen (digitizer) or LCD are damaged. The cost is $10 more if you walk in. We will need to keep your device for approximately 24 hours. Wait times are approximate and dependent on how busy we are when you arrive.

Discounts:
    25% off Battery Bundle. We will test your battery performance capacity and if it's low, you can choose to get a new battery with the discount when it's replaced at the same time as your other repair is completed.
    25% off Screen Protection: Tempered glass or ProtectionPro with any repair (free installation) -- www.cellclinic.ca/protection.
    Warranty Guarantee:

Lifetime warranty on hardware repairs (parts and labour), with the exception of batteries, which have a one-year warranty. Warranty is void if there is physical damage to the part we replaced.

The iRepair prices are ridiculous.. might as well buy a new device..

• For what its worth, I’ve opened up a dozen iPhones over the years to replace batteries, screens, and other parts. No problems.

I finally tried to open an iPad Pro 12.9 and managed to completely ruin it. Just a warning that the screens are very delicate, difficult to open up.

If I were in your position I would just leave it, live with it.

• Get it repaired at a phone repair place. I spent €80 to get my iPad fixed. If there’s a crack dust will go in and bother you.

• I have an old iPhone where the screen was so shattered that some shard were dropping out. I stuck a tempered glass protector on it and it has worked perfectly—and splinter-free—ever since.

• When I cracked my pro 11’s screen I opened a similar thread here. My understanding is that latest ipads including 10.5 have screen and digitiser glued together. It is possible to separate them but it requires a delaminating machine.

From what people replied to my thread it seems that the quality of the repair vary and is partly dependant on the quality of the parts. Many work for a while but eventually start having issues which I expect is due to the screen delaminating because of diy gluing process not being as good as factory.

I ended up selling mine, adding £100 and buying another second hand on eBay.

• Good point and an additional concern with the Pro 10.5 version I have, one of the repair shops told me the glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit, as you refer to.

• @puppychumful in fact they changed the design and ad pictures were betraying.
    Here‘s a good description of the details (just in case)
    https://de.ifixit.com/Anleitung/iPad+Pro+105-Inch+Display+austauschen/122139#
    It will probably switch to your country settings when opened