Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Talk me out of buying an iphone 12

edited November 2021 in Other

My iPhone se is over 5yo. Still performs well, don’t use it for music, but I want to upgrade to a bigger screen. The iPhone 13 is just too expensive but I love everything about the format, so I’m trying to justify 880€ for the 12 (with a 50€ gift card if I buy this weekend).
The alternative being the iPhone 11 for less 220€...
The only thing the 11 has better is the huge battery, but I love everything else better about the 12 (except the price). Even that deep blue color keeps pulling me in its soft embrace... (why they had to turn it baby blue for the 13 is beyond me).
Any one that has a 12 can share your experience? Battery wise, and specially making music? I plan on making extensive use of drambo, atom2, aum and all universal au synths and fx.
Will I need to sharpen up my fingertips or is it useable with some patience? I never really used any music apps on my 4” current screen, except for stuff like tuners, voice memos, reference apps etc, but it has served me well this past 5 years.
Help me justify my purchase, or talk me out of it, please...

Ps: another thing, I read on the animoog z thread that buffer is capped at 512 on iPhone? I don’t see me hooking up a midi keyboard to the phone, anyway (I’d use the ipad pr laptop), but how big is this as a limitation? And why is it there in the first place?

Comments

• edited November 2021

I might be getting one myself. So I might go for the pro version of the 12.

• edited November 2021

Too big to fit my pockets and even more expensive, but it sure looks great

Wait, the pro is just like better specs, not size, right? Didn’t even consider that one, given how hard I find justifying even 880€ for a phone (has to last me 5 years minimum)

• Just replaced my iphone 7 with an iphone 13 mini. Same same but different. But good.

• I considered the 13 mini, same price, slight better battery than the 12 mini (which was what prevented me from upgrading last year), and perfect form factor.. but the 12 is better in screen size, and I want to make some music stuff on it, even if just sketch ideas. The improvements in cpu and cameras are not something I care much, the 12 series is more than enough for me. I care most about having good battery and some serious music abilities (have an ipad air 2 as well and not upgrading soon, and a surface pro, so serious work gets done there).
    But thanks for the feedback! Since I can’t even make decent music on an ipad, for the last ten years (got divorced, lost my home studio, won’t bother you guys with the details) I was thinking of turning a page. I really shouldn’t impose on this forum as a support group, but you guys are just so nice...
    Anyway, thanks for any and all feedback

• A couple things to remember: The base 12 comes standard with only 64 gigs of memory, as opposed to 128 on the13, so by the time you add the extra 64, the price is reasonably close — plus you get a bigger battery and better camera.

If you’re considering an 11, remember it’s not 5G and it will be obsolete much sooner.

• Don't buy an iphone 12

• edited November 2021

Thanks for the heads up, I’m considering the 12 with 128gb, no less. The 5g stuff I also don’t care, nice to have but I don’t have coverage anyway

When I said same price I was just comparing 128g models. The 12 with 128g==13 mini 128g, here

• edited November 2021

Who am I kidding... I’m set on the 12. What are you guys experiences with editing midi, working with drambo, etc, on a 6” screen is what I want to know most.
    It’s not actually 6”, apple counts the rounded corners like it’s usable work space when it really isn’t. Classic apple...

• And no charger cause think of the planet, not your stakeholders. Thanks apple

• Better shut up now

• @Kashi said:
    Don't buy an iphone 12

Why? 😧

• I have an iPhone X and planned to upgrade in 2022. Because it’s protected by an Otterbox case it’s still in perfect condition. With the Black Friday deals and COVID lockdowns I bought myself the Arturia sets, some Softube plugins, Valhalla set and finished off with Moog’s Sound Studio 3. Next year no new phone and no other investments in music, just have fun. Do the same!

• Why get a legacy iphone like the 12 that'll be obsolete in a month? ;)

• @Bietfriek said:
    I have an iPhone X and planned to upgrade in 2022. Because it’s protected by an Otterbox case it’s still in perfect condition. With the Black Friday deals and COVID lockdowns I bought myself the Arturia sets, some Softube plugins, Valhalla set and finished off with Moog’s Sound Studio 3. Next year no new phone and no other investments in music, just have fun. Do the same!

Yeah but I have a 2016 SE...

• @skiphunt said:
    Why get a legacy iphone like the 12 that'll be obsolete in a month? ;)

But you suggest the 13 series? Going way over my budget there, not that I can’t afford I just need to justify

• Black friday is just a marketing scam here in EU, no real appealing deals, I’m afraid

• @pedro said:

@skiphunt said:
    Why get a legacy iphone like the 12 that'll be obsolete in a month? ;)

But you suggest the 13 series? Going way over my budget there, not that I can’t afford I just need to justify

I'm just kidding... sort of.

I'm not sure. It seems like the cameras are very similar between them. My guess is that the 12 series is likely a smarter/better buy if you're on a budget. I've got an 11 Pro. Was considering an upgrade, but there's really not anything that I use my iphone for that I can't do with my 11 Pro that I would be able to do with a newer phone.

• @pedro said:
    Black friday is just a marketing scam here in EU, no real appealing deals, I’m afraid

Same here in the states.

A total joke.

• I don’t care about the cameras. The 11 has a beast of a battery, but it’s just so bulky... I guess the decision has to be mine, but thanks for the feedback, that’s what I hoped from posting this thread, and anything else you can add I’ll be grateful

• edited November 2021

@pedro said:

@Kashi said:
    Don't buy an iphone 12

Why? 😧

Because you really don't want to spend that much money. That's why you started this thread.

That should be enuogh reason. If you wanted to buy it you would just buy it.

But you really don't want to, so you started this thread.

Starting this thread should be enough reason not to buy one - because you really don't want to. Listen to yourself and don't buy it :smiley:

• How about an iPad mini with 256GB?

• I love my 11, probably going to grab a 14 next year. I use mine for music, so I can always make use of a better processor. And I’m pretty bad with my battery. My 11 is a few months shy of 2 years old and is down to 85% capacity.

My understanding is that the 12 is a decent step up from the 11 and the 13 is a pretty minor step up from the 12. So I’d say a 12 is probably your best bet for now.

• @Alfred said:
    How about an iPad mini with 256GB?

Good, but I need a phone just now

• I replaced my 5 yr old SE with a 12 Mini last year. Best phone decision I ever made.
    It’s awesome, and only slightly bigger than the SE but much bigger screen and thinner.

• @Simon said:

@pedro said:

@Kashi said:
    Don't buy an iphone 12

Why? 😧

Because you really don't want to spend that much money. That's why you started this thread.

That should be enuogh reason. If you wanted to buy it you would just buy it.

But you really don't want to, so you started this thread.

Starting this thread should be enough reason not to buy one - because you really don't want to. Listen to yourself and don't buy it :smiley:

Yeat, you read me well. I want a phone. I guess I hoped for more out of black friday than a 50€ voucher. Alas, that’s what it is

• I know what’s going on here:

Pedro is ashamed to admit he’s in love with the blue on the 12.

Just get it, man 👍🏻

• On second or third though, I might hang on to my original se for another year, and save myself 1000€ 🤷‍♂️

• Thank you all, this thread has been most enlightening 🙏

• edited November 2021

Man, I had to go to AT&T last night and saw the new iPhone 12 Mini and was in love. I still think the 4S was the perfect-sized phone, especially for my hand size, and the mini is pretty much it. Damn shame I got an XR a couple years ago, but it was out of necessity-I couldn’t ride my 5S any longer. The screen had stopped responding and the battery was comical. But man I want one of those minis in 3-4 years once I run this XR into the ground.

• If you buy an iPhone 12 I will never speak to you (again)…

What color will you be getting?

Hmm… not speaking to me (again)?