Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tanganyika II / Jazz Drummer!!

edited November 2021 in Creations

Much praise for Jazz Drummer!! I originally posted this track with a MidEast Drum track, but I wanted to include it in my next jazz album and it didn’t feel right. So I tried Jazz Drummer and discovered I really could mold it into a pretty expressive, and somewhat free sounding, rhythm section component. I used the xy pad extensively and also, my secret drum sauce… which is to duplicate the drum pattern and push it forward by a few beats on the timeline. This creates a much more complex drum pattern and I mix the two tracks up and down as the tune progresses. Now you know 🤔😉

Ravenscroft 275, SWAM Soprano Sax and Alto Flute, Aparillo, BeatHawk Total Bass, Jazz Drummer x2. Please let me know what you think of the drums. Thx!

Comments

• I think it sounds pretty cool.

You know, I think we are fast approaching a time in which we will have machine learning systems sophisticated enough to provide full virtual accompaniment for any kind of musician.

Imagine being able to jam with your favorite jazz, classical, rock styles and musicians of today and from history in completely new compositions.

• @NeuM, I’d like to see a drum app that listens to your track and offers rhythmic options… like SoundCloud picks the background color based on the photo you post with the track,

• @LinearLineman said:
    @NeuM, I’d like to see a drum app that listens to your track and offers rhythmic options…

GarageBand does that, right?

I am intrigued by your drum trick though. I often layer drum parts, but never tried offsetting them. It works very well in this piece. Are you offsetting two midi tracks and sending them both into Lumbeat, or are you offsetting two audio tracks? What does the X-Y pad do?

Bass sounds good in this one too. Have you tried the SWAM bass? I’ve only had one play with it, and found that it was speaking way too slow. Never got around to trying it again to find out why yet.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, I am offsetting two audio tracks recorded out of Jazz Drummer. The xy pad controls the jam function, but also expression. If you head toward the lower left corner the drums become more diminutive, as you move up and to the right they become fuller. Very fun to play with when you can predict, from experience, the change it will make in the sound.

The bass in this is a combo of BeatHawk Total Bass and an Aparillo bass patch, mixing in and out. I do have SWAM Double Bass. I don’t use it much, but sometimes use the pizzicato setting in tandem with another acoustic bass patch, No latency or lazy attack problems, however.

• edited November 2021

@LinearLineman said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, I am offsetting two audio tracks recorded out of Jazz Drummer. The xy pad controls the jam function, but also expression. If you head toward the lower left corner the drums become more diminutive, as you move up and to the right they become fuller. Very fun to play with when you can predict, from experience, the change it will make in the sound.

Gives an almost ECM kind of feel, but busy. I wonder if it can get that sparse, airy ECM feel too? Is Jack DeJohnette in a ten dollar app asking for too much?

• That’s awesome! I’m going to have to try this trick. Mike, what if you used Jazz Drummer and Mideast Drummer, and set the later the few beats ahead?

I still like Soft Drummer. Mainly because it’s one of the only ones I have besides Rock and Future Drummer. Might need to do a little more app shopping. Hmmm now which one to buy first, Jazz or Mideast.

• @Edward_Alexander, I actually tried mixing the two. Didn’t work… too many notes. But you could build a simple line in one of them, I guess, to add an exotic instrument or hihat.

Soft Drummer was ok… until I got Jazz Drummer. No brushes, of course, but maybe that’s a good thing after a while. Happy Thxgiving, Ed! Hope you don’t have to work.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Edward_Alexander, I actually tried mixing the two. Didn’t work… too many notes. But you could build a simple line in one of them, I guess, to add an exotic instrument or hihat.

Soft Drummer was ok… until I got Jazz Drummer. No brushes, of course, but maybe that’s a good thing after a while. Happy Thxgiving, Ed! Hope you don’t have to work.

Thanks Mike! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

(I’m actually off today and tomorrow.)