Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I upgraded from iOS 13.7 to 15.1 and now Magellan 2 and Galileo stopped working. Yikes!

I upgraded from 13.7 to 15.1 but now I can't get the AUv3 versions of Magellan 2 and Galileo to work in Audiobus or in Keystage on my 2017 5th gen iPad. Are any of you having a similar problem? Are any of you able to use the AUv3 versions of Magellan 2 and Galileo in iOS 15.1?

Comments

• Did you restart again… after update restart…?

• Magellan 2 works normally in AUM. iPad Pro 2021 iPadOs 15.1.

• I did, @Poppadocrock. I also removed and reinstalled Magellan 2 but that didn't bring it back. It looks but when I hit any of the keys inside of the AUv3 the seems to blow up.

• Thanks, @krassmann. Just to be clear, are you using the AUv3 version under AUM?

• edited November 2021

Just tried Magellan 2 in AUM. Works fine.

However, in Audiobus 3, when I load it as an audio unit, it launches BUT when I play the keyboard, the screen goes blank, when I hit the cross at the top left of the screen to go back to Audiobus, it says Magellan needs a restart.

This is on iPadOS 15.1 on an Air 4.

Looks like something is broken.

• That's what it's doing for me, @timforsyth.

• Magellan 2 works perfectly as an AUv3 in AUM, apeMAtrix, Cubasis, BM3, NS2, Drambo, GarageBand, ZenBeats etc. and yes even in AudioBus on my iPad Air 2, iPadOS15.1. I also have it on my iPhone 8 and it works flawlessly there as well.

Magellan 2 was one of the first synth apps I tested when iPadOS15 initially dropped...

• Thanks, @Samu. Good to know it works in iOS 15.1 at least under AUM. Hopefully Keystage and Audiobus will get it working soon.

• @Howard said:
    Thanks, @Samu. Good to know it works in iOS 15.1 at least under AUM. Hopefully Keystage and Audiobus will get it working soon.

It might be a good idea to get it touch with the Keystage developer and let them know...
    ...I have no problems with it in AudioBus on my iPad Air 2 so this could be a device related issue?

• ...I have no problems with it in AudioBus on my iPad Air 2 so this could be a device related issue?

It’s weird that it does not work for me in audiobus, I get the same issue as @howard . That said, I only tried it out to help, I don’t use audiobus as much these days, like you said cubasis works fine as does AUM.

• Thanks, @Samu. I have been in touch with Ali of Keystage and believe he is working on it. I forgot that he had noticed a similar issue with Galileo and I hope he is chasing that down so perhaps it relates to how Yonac's AUv3 apps are working.

• @samu: you said it worked for you OK in Audiobus. Were you using the keyboard in the app or the one in Audiobus? The one in Audiobus works fine for me but the one in the app is the one which blows up on me.

• edited November 2021

@Howard said:
    I upgraded from 13.7 to 15.1 but now I can't get the AUv3 versions of Magellan 2 and Galileo to work in Audiobus or in Keystage on my 2017 5th gen iPad. Are any of you having a similar problem? Are any of you able to use the AUv3 versions of Magellan 2 and Galileo in iOS 15.1?

No problem for Magellan 2 in Audiobus, iPad 6, iPadOS 15.1. But def problem for Galileo 2; tap on the keyboard and poof! needs to restart. The controls work, so it seems to relate to sound generation.

Edit: Reviewing logs, I notice that Galileo2AU was crashing with SIGSEGV (memory address error), so that's definitely on Yonac. Needs to update his AUv3s.

Editt: Kaspar is OK, but Kauldron has the same problem as Galileo2, crashes when you play a note.

• @Howard said:
    @samu: you said it worked for you OK in Audiobus. Were you using the keyboard in the app or the one in Audiobus? The one in Audiobus works fine for me but the one in the app is the one which blows up on me.

Same issue here on a 2020 iPad 8th gen, no Biggie for me as I rarely use audiobus but hey it's totally reproducible

• I heard back from Ali of Keystage. He said that "unfortunately this issue is completely on Yonac's side. On iOS15, their apps have a compatibility issue with Apple's AvAudioEngine framework, which is used in KeyStage for hosting audio units. .....the same issue also happens when these audio units are opened in Apple's own demo app to demonstrate their AvAudioEngine framework (and the same problem also happens in Camelot Pro running in iOS15). This demo app simply does nothing other than loading audio units, presenting their UI's to the user, and sending a sequence of notes to the audio unit, and Galileo 2 instantly crashes as soon as it receives the first note."

I already wrote to Yonac as well but if any of you know the developer then please PLEASE let them know about this.

• Magellan 2 and Galileo 2 (I don’t have G1) are working completely fine in my AUM. Just checked.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Magellan 2 and Galileo 2 (I don’t have G1) are working completely fine in my AUM. Just checked.

Yes, I believe this problem is specific to Audiobus (and Keystage). Other AUv3 hosts seem unaffected.

• It also seems to be an issue in Camelot Pro, @uncledave.

• @uncledave and @Samu, you each said Magellan works fine for you under Audiobus 3. Aside from it blowing up when I touch the keyboard I find that if I try to recall a preset in Audiobus it also fails and I get the AUv3 restart error. Are you also able to reopen Audiobus presets that have the Magellan 2 AUv3 in them and do the presets work fine?

In order to be able to access all my songs in Keystage I am working with Audiobus and load multiple instances of Magellan 2 in it and direct Keystage to send PC commands to the various instances of Magellan 2 in AB3. Since I can't reopen any presets in AB3 with Magellan 2 in it I have to recreate or set up my preset in AB3 each time I use it in order for this workaround to work. I may end up getting AUM or some other AUv3 host that is still fully functional with Magellan 2 should any other problems arise for me in trying to use Magellan 2 in AB3. I also thought I may have to them with Audiolayer if Yonac doesn't fix this issue since I really prefer to work fully in Keystage. Some of you already said AUM works fine. Do any of you also use apeMatrex (currently on sale) and do you know if Magellan 2 works well with it in iOS 15?

• @Howard said:
    @uncledave and @Samu, you each said Magellan works fine for you under Audiobus 3. Aside from it blowing up when I touch the keyboard I find that if I try to recall a preset in Audiobus it also fails and I get the AUv3 restart error. Are you also able to reopen Audiobus presets that have the Magellan 2 AUv3 in them and do the presets work fine?

In order to be able to access all my songs in Keystage I am working with Audiobus and load multiple instances of Magellan 2 in it and direct Keystage to send PC commands to the various instances of Magellan 2 in AB3. Since I can't reopen any presets in AB3 with Magellan 2 in it I have to recreate or set up my preset in AB3 each time I use it in order for this workaround to work. I may end up getting AUM or some other AUv3 host that is still fully functional with Magellan 2 should any other problems arise for me in trying to use Magellan 2 in AB3. I also thought I may have to them with Audiolayer if Yonac doesn't fix this issue since I really prefer to work fully in Keystage. Some of you already said AUM works fine. Do any of you also use apeMatrex (currently on sale) and do you know if Magellan 2 works well with it in iOS 15?

I very seldom use the keyboard in AUv3 UIs and even though this is the AudioBus forum I honestly preffer to use AUM or apeMatrix. So for all my use-cases it’s working just fine.

• @Howard . Have you tried using Magellan 2 right after restarting the iPad? iOS seems to have a new feature that preloads selected apps into memory for quicker startup. This confuses certain apps that don't expect this. Magellan 2 is prominent on my list of these apps, even though I've only used it a couple of times. It takes a while for this preloading to occur, so it might work better after a restart.

• Yes, I tried that @uncledave but that also didn't work for me. The developer of Keystage said that Yonac's apps have a compatibility issue with Apple's AvAudioEngine framework which is used in KeyStage for hosting audio units. I assume this is the same problem with Camelot Pro and Audiobus though AUM doesn't seem to have this problem.

• edited November 2021

@Howard said:
    Yes, I tried that @uncledave but that also didn't work for me. The developer of Keystage said that Yonac's apps have a compatibility issue with Apple's AvAudioEngine framework which is used in KeyStage for hosting audio units. I assume this is the same problem with Camelot Pro and Audiobus though AUM doesn't seem to have this problem.

I previously reported that Magellan 2 was working in Audiobus. That was using the Audiobus keyboard. If instead you activate the Magellan 2 internal keyboard (while loaded as AUv3), it crashes instantly with SIGSEGV (address error). I tried driving it with MIDI from ZOA, and that works fine, so it should be good with an external MIDI kb (in Audiobus).

Having said that, Kauldron crashes with SIGSEGV no matter which keyboard is tried (it's named Cauldron in the logs). And Kaspar, which offers no kb in AUv3, works fine (in AudioBus).

• Since I have Beatmaker 3 I thought I would see if it worked still with Magellan 2. What I noticed is that while it does load and play it ultimately fails to reload from a saved song just like with Audiobus 3.

I emailed Yonac last week when I discovered the issue but haven't heard back from them and hope it's because their busy fixing the problem. :wink: Seriously though, I hope they will fix it given that all their apps apparently have this issue in Camelot Pro, Keystage, Audiobus 3 and Beatmaker 3.

• @timforsyth said:
    Just tried Magellan 2 in AUM. Works fine.

However, in Audiobus 3, when I load it as an audio unit, it launches BUT when I play the keyboard, the screen goes blank, when I hit the cross at the top left of the screen to go back to Audiobus, it says Magellan needs a restart.

This is on iPadOS 15.1 on an Air 4.

Looks like something is broken.

Same.

I still can use it, when playing from some other instrument hosted in AudioBus.

• Some good news to report regarding this bug. Yonac replied to a post of mine on its Facebook page and said that they "have solved the issue and hope to have the update available soon."

• @Howard said:
    Some good news to report regarding this bug. Yonac replied to a post of mine on its Facebook page and said that they "have solved the issue and hope to have the update available soon."

Good.

• I just noticed that version 1.2 of Magellan 2 was just released which seems to fix the issues I was having in it. Woohoo! The noted fixes in this version are:

• Improves compatibility with certain AUv3 hosts
    • Fixes intermittent issues when restoring In-App Purchases
    • Updates related to iOS 15
    • Other optimizations and improvements

Thanks, Yonac!

• @Howard said:
    I just noticed that version 1.2 of Magellan 2 was just released which seems to fix the issues I was having in it. Woohoo! The noted fixes in this version are:

• Improves compatibility with certain AUv3 hosts
    • Fixes intermittent issues when restoring In-App Purchases
    • Updates related to iOS 15
    • Other optimizations and improvements

Thanks, Yonac!

Yonac should get hired as consultants for IK Multimedia and the SynthMaster guys. When Yonac knows about a problem at least they get on it right away.

• Does the App still work as IAA?

SynthMaster has removed that because of problems with M1 iPads...