Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Suggest compatibility usability of Atom SQ with iOS synth

I am planning to buy presents atom sq for iPad. After digging from past 2 weeks, I did not found in-depth information about its compatibility with iOS synths. Kindly suggest whether it’s better pair for iPad,

Comments

• edited November 2021

I've never seen a generic MIDI controller that really improved on the usually very good touch experience on screen.
    From time to time, dedicated synth controllers come up but they're naturally made to control only one synth, usually a clone of vintage hardware.

• Oh, you mean the PreSonus ATOM SQ controller. It looks like it's pretty highly integrated with their desktop software. With iOS apps you'd likely need to MIDI map any controls you want to use. Every app is different, and they mostly just let you configure them yourself. So, compatible yes, integrated not so much.

• There isn’t a dedicated application for the Atom SQ but as it’s a pad based controller, the apps that come to mind that would allow mapping (easily) would be

1. Koala Sampler (definitely recommended)
    2. Beatmaker 3 (a more advanced Koala Sampler)
    3. Remix Live (recently had a MIDI mapping unlockable)
    4. Segments/EG Pulse (Sample based applications)
    5. Drambo (the holy grail of all groovebox applications)

I shared a lot of my findings on these apps and more using a drum pad layout controller in the video below

Would I recommend the controller? Ehhh….idk. If you can get it at a significantly reduced price, then yeah. One thing you’ll find is a lot of iOS apps that support MIDI controllers are keyboard based, then drum pad + knobs. My personal recommendation for a controller that works well with a lot of iOS apps is a Novation Launchkey Mini

• I had one but sold it recently. It's a nice controller and there is plenty to like about it.
    However, one thing you should know is that LED feedback for the PADS only works with Ableton and Presonus Studio One. On iOS you can set pad colour using the onboard editor which is cool, but there is no way to send midi back to the device from an app, unlike other devices like the Novation Launchpad.

If thats no issue for you then I can recommend it based on my experience of owning one as a nice controller. Pads have a good touch. Tapered knobs are a little slippery but otherwise its good.

• It’s a well made piece of equipment, and a cool idea, is kinda of good at a few things, but great at nothing. The knobs are useful if you need them, but there’s better devices for that. The pads aren’t soft enough (like the Launchpad mk3 series) for real ‘piano style’ playing and the layout isn’t exactly optimal for finger drumming.

The integration with the desktop studio one software is probably where it really shines but I’d still go with a Launchpad etc etc.

The atom sq is in a unique spot in the controller space, but unfortunately not good enough at anything I intended on iOS. I went through laborious midi assignments and layouts in BM3, Cubasis 3 etc but it just couldn’t make the cut for production. It’s currently in its box. I’d steer clear and go with a different controller.

• Oh thanks to all. I Thought it would be a good one after so long time as there is no perfect midi controllers for iPad music ecosystem. Is anyone tried its Sequencing capabilities with BM3, Korg Gadget 2 & groovbox? Actually I’m searching well integrated controller for drum sounds & sequencing to reduce the durability of my iPad touch screen.

• edited November 2021

@TheSoundKid said:
    Oh thanks to all. I Thought it would be a good one after so long time as there is no perfect midi controllers for iPad music ecosystem. Is anyone tried its Sequencing capabilities with BM3, Korg Gadget 2 & groovbox? Actually I’m searching well integrated controller for drum sounds & sequencing to reduce the durability of my iPad touch screen.

Definitely not with Groovebox. Only controller that works well with it is the Novation Launchkey Mk2 and MK3 series.

Also not recommended with Gadget 2. Novation Launchkey mk2/mk3 or Launchpad mk3 series is a good option, as with Arturia Minilab, and Akai MK, but the best integration with Gadget 2 is the Nanokontrol 2, or the Korg Nanokey. Why? Well, while the Arturia, Novation, and Akai will work with their keyboard, drum, and allow some MIDI CC control, the Korg controllers

1. Unlock 2 gadgets on the free Gadget 2
    2. Allow control over the individual channels

For Beatmaker 3? It has MIDI mapping that would work with a variety of controllers. Many individuals will recommend controllers based on those they've used. Again, Novation, Akai, Korg, Arturia, M-Audio, and more make a variety of controllers.

I'll try and summarize a lot of the points here. If you're using iOS, currently the ATOM SQ is NOT recommended.

• @TheSoundKid said:
    Oh thanks to all. I Thought it would be a good one after so long time as there is no perfect midi controllers for iPad music ecosystem.

Well, I would say the Arturia Spark LE combined with the iSpark software is.

Is anyone tried its Sequencing capabilities with BM3, Korg Gadget 2 & groovbox? Actually I’m searching well integrated controller for drum sounds & sequencing to reduce the durability of my iPad touch screen.

Check out this vid about integrating the SQ with BM3, this is about the second best I've seen so far:

• @seonnthaproducer said

Definitely not with Groovebox. Only controller that works well with it is the Novation Launchkey Mk2 and MK3 series.

Also not recommended with Gadget 2. Novation Launchkey mk2/mk3 or Launchpad mk3 series is a good option, as with Arturia Minilab, and Akai MK, but the best integration with Gadget 2 is the Nanokontrol 2, or the Korg Nanokey. Why? Well, while the Arturia, Novation, and Akai will work with their keyboard, drum, and allow some MIDI CC control, the Korg controllers

1. Unlock 2 gadgets on the free Gadget 2
    2. Allow control over the individual channels

For Beatmaker 3? It has MIDI mapping that would work with a variety of controllers. Many individuals will recommend controllers based on those they've used. Again, Novation, Akai, Korg, Arturia, M-Audio, and more make a variety of controllers.

I'll try and summarize a lot of the points here. If you're using iOS, currently the ATOM SQ is NOT recommended.

Thanks for suggestions. I already have Nanos & Launchkey mk2. But it lack SEQ capabilities. As I’m at learning stage, I don’t want to break my iPad screen 🙄. That’s why I’m searching for all in one midi controllers.

• @rs2000 said:

@TheSoundKid said:
    Oh thanks to all. I Thought it would be a good one after so long time as there is no perfect midi controllers for iPad music ecosystem.

Well, I would say the Arturia Spark LE combined with the iSpark software is.

Is anyone tried its Sequencing capabilities with BM3, Korg Gadget 2 & groovbox? Actually I’m searching well integrated controller for drum sounds & sequencing to reduce the durability of my iPad touch screen.

Check out this vid about integrating the SQ with BM3, this is about the second best I've seen so far:

Definitely Will chk..

• @TheSoundKid said:
    Thanks for suggestions. I already have Nanos & Launchkey mk2. But it lack SEQ capabilities. As I’m at learning stage, I don’t want to break my iPad screen 🙄. That’s why I’m searching for all in one midi controllers.

What do u mean by ‘SEQ capabilities’? AFAIK the atom sq is simply a ‘dumb’ controller. I think the sequencer only works with studio one on a computer. There’s No sequencing etc built in, or knowledge of what’s happening in real-time on the iPad. For that, I’d consider grabbing a launchpad pro which has an internal sequencer, and using it with Atom piano roll 2 which has 2 way communication with it.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    I think the sequencer only works with studio one on a computer. There’s No sequencing etc built in, or knowledge of what’s happening in real-time on the iPad.

This is what I want to know.. thnx. Finally I’m Going to try Beatstep Pro.