Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Import Logic instruments into AudioLayer

This is a breakout thread from the iOS sales thread. This is indeed a great way to get a lot of high quality instruments on the iPad, so I thought it deserves its own thread.

Here is the original post:

@Pynchon said:

While it's a time consuming task, it's feasible to import your entire EXS24 instruments library from Logic Pro into AudioLayer.

Even more, if you have a Mac and don't want to invest in Logic Pro because you're more into Ableton Live, you can purchase MainStage for 30 euros, which includes the entire instruments library from Logic.

The caveat is that you need to export in Logic/Mainstage each instrument, one by one, selecting the option of also including the audio files.

Then, put the EXS24 instrument file into the folder with the samples. Import this folder into AudioLayer, and voila.

Other consideration is that instruments in which all the samples are included in a long single file, they require a lot of processor power. So there was some audio skips in my iPad 2020 with these large audio files. But they work perfectly on my iPad Pro M1.

So for 8.99 euros, and investing some hours importing separately each instrument, you can have your whole collection of Logic Pro instruments in your iPad.

My questions:

I assume you mean copying them over to the iPad and then move them to the import folder? In the past I had problems with the iCloud sync. The EXS24 imported instruments were unreliable then. BTW, I always wondered if I can delete them from the import folder after the actual import. AudioLayer seems to store the actual samples at a hidden location which is accessible only by the internal sample management.

I never imported a huge number of instruments. If you organize the EXS24 files in folders prior to import, will this structure be mirrored in the AudioLayer instruments structure?

So for 8.99 euros, and investing some hours importing separately each instrument, you can have your whole collection of Logic Pro instruments in your iPad.

I guess you mean solely the „Sampler“ instruments, not Alchemy and other Logic soft synths, right?

Comments

• edited November 2021

@krassmann The first thing that I do in AudioLayer is unmark the option for using iCloud.

Once you have done this, an AudioLayer folder will appear in the Files app.

Then, I copy all the folders, each one with an EXS24 file and its respective samples, in the Import Folder inside AudioLayer. For this, I use the network share option of files in my Mac, so I can access all the content from my hard disk and external hard disks from the Files app.

It's important to place the folders inside the Import Folder, because you can only import samples/instruments located in this folder.

Then in AudioLayer, I try to mimic the same structure of the EXS24 instruments in Logic, creating the same folder hierarchy.

And I start importing each folder, one by one.

This is important, don't try to import a folder containing various folders with samples, because then AudioLayer will fail.

So yeah, it's incredibly time consuming, as I said.

You need to export separately each folder in Logic/MainStage, and moving each EXS24 file to its respective sample folder.

And then, one by one, you need to import these folders into AudioLayer.

But I can confirm that 100% of the Logic instruments works like a charm in AudioLayer, and they can be loaded as AUv3 instances.

By the way, be sure of not making mistakes creating your folders inside the AudioLayer app, because while you can delete samples inside the app, you can't delete created folders. This is not a problem if you are working with the iCloud option, because the folders are accessible. But I don't have 40+ GB in iCloud to store all the instruments, so I use the internal storage of my iPad Pro M1 with 256 GB of storage.

• I forget to mention this: once you have imported the samples inside AudioLayer, don't forget to delete the content of the Import Folder of AudioLayer. Or you will take double space.

• Thanks for the guide.

• And yeah, for instruments I was referring to EXS24 instruments.

Unless you want to create a sampled instrument using a Logic synth, it's feasible using StudioMux in conjunction with AudioLayer.

But in my opinion it doesn't make much sense, because I'm more a knob player than a key player. You can have a given patch from a synth placed as a sampled instrument. But you can't modify the parameters of the synth, do automation, these type of things related with sound design.

• edited November 2021

Yeah thanks, this is so awesome. One more question regarding the structure. You’re saying that I shouldn’t create folders in AL‘s instrument management but I also shouldn’t import a structure of nested folders. So how to create the folder structure then?

• @krassmann said:
    Yeah thanks, this is so awesome. One more question regarding the structure. So, you say that I shouldn’t create folders in AL‘s instrument management but I also shouldn’t import a structure of nested folders. So how to create the folder structure then?

You can create folders inside the AudioLayer app. This is important. Use the AudioLayer app, at least if you're working from the internal storage instead of iCloud, which is the option that I recommend.

Once you are inside a folder, you can create other folder. Or import an instrument. For example, inside a folder you can have various folders, various instruments.

AudioLayer will import the instruments using the current folder, navigating inside the AudioLayer app.

• Understood, thank you so much.

• @Pynchon does it still work with recent MainStage updates where EXS24 is now named Sampler?

• @Janosax said:
    @Pynchon does it still work with recent MainStage updates where EXS24 is now named Sampler?

I haven’t succeed, I have keep an old logic version to make it work.
    Maybe it’s it’s possible but I haven’t found how to.

• edited November 2021

@krassmann said:
    This is a breakout thread from the iOS sales thread. This is indeed a great way to get a lot of high quality instruments on the iPad, so I thought it deserves its own thread.

Here is the original post:

@Pynchon said:

While it's a time consuming task, it's feasible to import your entire EXS24 instruments library from Logic Pro into AudioLayer.

Even more, if you have a Mac and don't want to invest in Logic Pro because you're more into Ableton Live, you can purchase MainStage for 30 euros, which includes the entire instruments library from Logic.

The caveat is that you need to export in Logic/Mainstage each instrument, one by one, selecting the option of also including the audio files.

Then, put the EXS24 instrument file into the folder with the samples. Import this folder into AudioLayer, and voila.

Other consideration is that instruments in which all the samples are included in a long single file, they require a lot of processor power. So there was some audio skips in my iPad 2020 with these large audio files. But they work perfectly on my iPad Pro M1.

My questions:

I assume you mean copying them over to the iPad and then move them to the import folder? In the past I had problems with the iCloud sync. The EXS24 imported instruments were unreliable then. BTW, I always wondered if I can delete them from the import folder after the actual import. AudioLayer seems to store the actual samples at a hidden location which is accessible only by the internal sample management.

I never imported a huge number of instruments. If you organize the EXS24 files in folders prior to import, will this structure be mirrored in the AudioLayer instruments structure?

I guess you mean solely the „Sampler“ instruments, not Alchemy and other Logic soft synths, right?

For me instruments with single sample files such as all the drummer instruments doesn’t work.
    It seems there’s also a compatibility issue with round robin layers , but I may be wrong.

• @Jeezs said:

@Janosax said:
    @Pynchon does it still work with recent MainStage updates where EXS24 is now named Sampler?

Thanks for info, glad I haven’t bought it yet!!

• @Jeezs said:

@Janosax said:

What? I thought it’s just a new name. It would be stupid if they also changed the data format. I quickly asked a friend to save a sample with his Logic 10.6 and it was an .exs file.

• edited November 2021

@krassmann said:

@Jeezs said:

@Janosax said:

What? I thought it’s just a new name. It would be stupid if they also changed the data format. I quickly asked a friend to save a sample with his Logic 10.6 and it was an .exs file.

New sampler has new LFO and other features so perhaps the issue is there?

• @Pynchon said:
    I forget to mention this: once you have imported the samples inside AudioLayer, don't forget to delete the content of the Import Folder of AudioLayer. Or you will take double space.

If shouldn’t actually take twice the space as the file system doesn’t duplicate the data with clones as it uses delta extents (only saves differences between clones).

I tend to keep a copy of my Logic Pro user sample library in iCloud drive, so I can import it anywhere or use the samples themselves in any app on any device.

I'm fairly confident that the file system isn't duplicating the data, as I seem to have the correct amount of free storage after an import, but there could be situations where it doesn't work like that, so worth checking. And it never hurts to do some housekeeping after copying files anyway.

• @krassmann said:

@Jeezs said:

@Janosax said:

If I have time I'll try to export a sample instrument from 10.7 later tonight and see what happens. I'll try with one of the instruments from the new sample packs in 10.7

• edited November 2021

I think you did something wrong. Did you really follow Pynchon’s guide exactly? I asked my friend to send over the exported Steinway exs file along with the actual sample file from Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples/. Then you copy both files over to the iPad into a new folder inside of AudioLayer’s import folder and then import it with the AudioLayer app. Don’t worry that the sample is a .caf file, AL can read it.

For me it works well. After import I have Logic’s Steinway in AudioLayer and it makes piano sounds. @Apple this was just for testing, I deleted the instrument after test.

• @krassmann said:
    I think you did something wrong. Did you really follow Pynchon’s guide exactly? I asked my friend to send over the exported Steinway exs file along with the actual sample file from Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples/. Then you copy both files over to the iPad into a new folder inside of AudioLayer’s import folder and then import it with the AudioLayer app. Don’t worry that the sample is a .caf file, AL can read it.

For me it works well. After import I have Logic’s Steinway in AudioLayer and it makes piano sounds. @Apple this was just for testing, I deleted the instrument after test.

Thanks for testing!!

BTW, how are those Logic/MainStage EXS24 instruments? Do they sound good? Is it worth it spending hours making exports for AL?

@Pynchon

• i did this conversion of a bunch of exs24 libraries to audiolayer but in the end it was inconsistent and unstable and i ended up giving up on the app altogether. Instead, I just converted them to soundfonts and run them in bs-16i. has AL improved much?

• edited November 2021

@chocobitz825 as Pynchon wrote, turn off iCloud in AL and use the AL import folder to import stuff. Since I’m doing this the imported EXS or SFZ are rock solid.

• I’m trying to convince myself to buy ChickenSys translator (https://samplerzone.com/collections/translator/products/chicken-systems-inc) if it gets discounted enough during BF as there a few different formats I would like to be able to convert between, soundfonts being arguably the most portable.

• edited November 2021

@krassmann said:
    @chocobitz825 as Pynchon wrote, turn off iCloud in AL and use the AL import folder to import stuff. Since I’m doing this the imported EXS or SFZ are rock solid.

Actually it wasn't even the import process. That got better over time. It's running multiple instances of AL that often resulted in pops and clicks and just unstable behavior not worth the trouble.

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I’m trying to convince myself to buy ChickenSys translator (https://samplerzone.com/collections/translator/products/chicken-systems-inc) if it gets discounted enough during BF as there a few different formats I would like to be able to convert between, soundfonts being arguably the most portable.

I have used it so much to convert various formats. IMO it's absolutely worth it.

• @krassmann: Due to how populated is the sales thread with the Black Friday thing, now that I have time I will post a solution to one of the questions that surfaced, regarding the import of Pianobook EXS24 instruments.

All of them can work perfectly in AudioLayer.

But for this, it's important to first import the instrument into Logic or MainStage, using the Sampler Audio Unit.

Once imported, if you export the instrument including the audio files, and put the resulting EXS24 instrument file inside the folder with the samples, it will work in AudioLayer.

AudioLayer is very strict importing instruments, and a lot of the instruments that can be downloaded online will have weird structures that won't work by default.

But importing the instruments into Logic always fix this. And its export feature will create a EXS24 file which is compatible with AudioLayer.

• @Pynchon said:
    But importing the instruments into Logic always fix this. And its export feature will create a EXS24 file which is compatible with AudioLayer.

That's a very useful bit of information to know about.

I posted in the desktop sales thread but as I mentioned it a few posts ago the ChickenSys Translator app is now 50% off. I am still considering whether to purchase it or not as to be honest I have enough options now for moving sounds around but it does support a lot of different formats : http://www.chickensys.com/formats.html

• @Pynchon said:
    @krassmann: Due to how populated is the sales thread with the Black Friday thing, now that I have time I will post a solution to one of the questions that surfaced, regarding the import of Pianobook EXS24 instruments.

But for this, it's important to first import the instrument into Logic or MainStage, using the Sampler Audio Unit.

Once imported, if you export the instrument including the audio files, and put the resulting EXS24 instrument file inside the folder with the samples, it will work in AudioLayer.

AudioLayer is very strict importing instruments, and a lot of the instruments that can be downloaded online will have weird structures that won't work by default.

Hi !
    I am struggling to export exs with the audiofiles in mainstage. There is suppose to be a checkbox to export the audiofiles, but it doesn’t work. I tried to put the files in the same folder as the exs and then import in AL, doesnt work either…

• edited February 2022

@jazzmess said:

@Pynchon said:
    @krassmann: Due to how populated is the sales thread with the Black Friday thing, now that I have time I will post a solution to one of the questions that surfaced, regarding the import of Pianobook EXS24 instruments.

Hi !
    I am struggling to export exs with the audiofiles in mainstage. There is suppose to be a checkbox to export the audiofiles, but it doesn’t work. I tried to put the files in the same folder as the exs and then import in AL, doesnt work either…

Have you deactivated iCloud in AudioLayer, and put the instrument folder inside the local AudioLayer/Import folder on your iPad?

Also, some instruments in Logic/Mainstage are using weird formats, sometimes a single file containing all the samples, sometimes files that are not marked as audio files because they don't have extensions. But even those, in my experience, should work in AudioLayer. Simply, don't worry if you don't see a lot of AIFF or WAV files in the exported directory.

• @Pynchon said:

@jazzmess said:

@Pynchon said:

Hi !

Have you deactivated iCloud in AudioLayer, and put the instrument folder inside the local AudioLayer/Import folder on your iPad?

Also, some instruments in Logic/Mainstage are using weird formats, sometimes a single file containing all the samples, sometimes files that are not marked as audio files because they don't have extensions. But even those, in my experience, should work in AudioLayer. Simply, don't worry if you don't see a lot of AIFF or WAV files in the exported directory.

Yes I did all that.
    I just can’t find the option in mainstage where I can save the audio files alongside the exs. So when I save there is only the exs file… would logic work better ? I dont want to spend 170€ more for nothing !

• If you save just the EXS file in MainStage then make a new folder and put the EXS and the folder with the samples in the new folder and import using the +import folder option it should work.

Every EXS I’ve imported like that has worked fine and I’ve never needed to import anything into the AudioLayer folder in the files app.

the structure should be like this:

New Folder
    _> EXS FILE
    -> Samples folder

• @klownshed said:
    If you save just the EXS file in MainStage then make a new folder and put the EXS and the folder with the samples in the new folder and import using the +import folder option it should work.

Every EXS I’ve imported like that has worked fine and I’ve never needed to import anything into the AudioLayer folder in the files app.

New Folder
    _> EXS FILE
    -> Samples folder

Thanks for the tip, i’ll try this !!!

• @jazzmess said:

@klownshed said:
    If you save just the EXS file in MainStage then make a new folder and put the EXS and the folder with the samples in the new folder and import using the +import folder option it should work.

New Folder
    _> EXS FILE
    -> Samples folder

Thanks for the tip, i’ll try this !!!

When you try it, in AudioLayer tap the "+import folder" button, then Select the new folder you created (top level folder that has the .EXS file and the folder that contains all the samples inside it). The "Done" button will be greyed out (bug!) but you can tap it anyway. Tap it and it should import.

As I said, every file I've tried from logic like this works. Not all of them display correctly inside AL (see posts above) but they do play back properly.

• Im having trouble importing some exs files. Anyone know of a fix? Weird thing is that I do this exact same procedure for the auto sampling in logic and sharing them to the iPad. It does work a lot of the time but also a lot of the time it comes up with this error?