Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Engine not running latest iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS (need your help before formatting 320 gb šŸ˜‚)

13Ā»

Comments

• I think itā€™s a an issue on the headphone input, probably some sort of switching failure on the jack, when I have nothing plugged in or a 2 channel headphone cable plugged in it fails, when I have a 3 channel (headphone/mic) cable plugged in the issue never surfaces.

• edited August 2021

Same problem here! Playing miRack standalone and suddley audio stopped. Getting the AUM notice sinceā€¦
    Air 4 iOS 14.6
    No headphone jack so canā€™t be something about the cable or jackā€¦.

• @Synthi said:
    Same problem here! Playing miRack standalone and suddley audio stopped. Getting the AUM notice sinceā€¦
    Air 4 iOS 14.6

Have you tried turning off Microphone access for AUM?

• @uncledave said:

@Synthi said:
    Air 4 iOS 14.6

Not yet, but I use the microphone inside AUM.... Otr do you mean turning off and then ON again?

• @Synthi said:

@uncledave said:

@Synthi said:
    Air 4 iOS 14.6

Not yet, but I use the microphone inside AUM.... Otr do you mean turning off and then ON again?

It was suggested here, https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/956551/#Comment_956551. Worth a try.

• @uncledave said:

@Synthi said:

@uncledave said:

@Synthi said:
    Air 4 iOS 14.6

It was suggested here, https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/956551/#Comment_956551. Worth a try.

thanks!

• How long does it take until the
    Audio engine stops running?

Is it between five and ten minutes
    and is this on iOS 14 upwards?

• So no real ideas what's causing this?

It just happened to me for the first time. I'd had the iPad connected to an external interface and as soon as it was disconnected AUM was saying the audio engine wasn't running and some other apps (Animoog, Model D, Nave) were crashing at startup.

Some combination of turning off FaceTime and iMessage and rebooting seems to have solved it, but what the heck, Apple?

• For me, the issue was the magnet on my ipad case. When the magnet has ā€contactā€ with the ipad it takes only a few seconds when i get the error message audio engine is notā€¦..
    Hope this will help.

• Same issue with me.
    Took off my new magnetic case and no more issues with AUM.
    Next will be to see if NF2 cleared up also.
    Happy camper.

• Issued cleared up in NS2 also with magnetic case removed.

• Friends, I may have sort of solved this, but it's a weird one to try to track down...

Based on stuff in this thread, I wondered if one of my many dongles and audio interfaces was possibly responsible, so I dug all of them out of various desk drawers and started plugging them in. Eventually I got to one headphone/PD dongle, plugged it in, and could hear music playing through the headphones even though NS2 wasn't playing. When I hit play in NS2 I suddenly had two songs playing. I used the app switcher to kill every running app and still the music played, but thankfully I remembered the last time I used that dongle was checking a master on it (which was what was playing), which I'd done using the preview in the Files app, so I opened Files, started playing something else in there and it replaced what had previously been playing. I stopped that, killed the Files app and opened NS2 and so far everything is back to working properly.

Looks like yet another reason that removing the headphone jack was f***ing stupid.

• Spoke too soon, itā€™s back. This is infuriating. I spent Ā£2k on this sodding iPad just for music and havenā€™t been able to make any in two months.

• @drcongo said:
    Spoke too soon, itā€™s back. This is infuriating. I spent Ā£2k on this sodding iPad just for music and havenā€™t been able to make any in two months.

This is the main reason I returned to pcšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• I gave up and installed OS15 because even in beta it couldn't be worse. I've managed to do more than 5 minutes music making now for the first time in about 2 - 3 months. šŸ¤ž

• I have for a month only used my new iPad Pro with an audio interface, and have had no problems. But now I am also trying to use it on its own, and get this weird Audio Engine Not Running message in AUM. If I go to any other app, they can play audio, but if I switch back to AUM, it is stil not running. Untill it suddenly is. Seemingly at random it decides if I can use AUM or not.
    Is there a consensus that iOS 15 solves this problem? Or other work-arounds?

• @LarsDaniel said:
    I have for a month only used my new iPad Pro with an audio interface, and have had no problems. But now I am also trying to use it on its own, and get this weird Audio Engine Not Running message in AUM. If I go to any other app, they can play audio, but if I switch back to AUM, it is stil not running. Untill it suddenly is. Seemingly at random it decides if I can use AUM or not.

I started hitting this problem for the first time just as iOS 15 was being released and have not seen it again since moving to 15. Only one data point and doesn't prove anything but the thread does seem to have become a lot quieter since 15 hit so here's hoping it got fixed.

• @LarsDaniel said:
    I have for a month only used my new iPad Pro with an audio interface, and have had no problems. But now I am also trying to use it on its own, and get this weird Audio Engine Not Running message in AUM. If I go to any other app, they can play audio, but if I switch back to AUM, it is stil not running. Untill it suddenly is. Seemingly at random it decides if I can use AUM or not.

Do you have a magnetic case on your iPad? Try without it.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Thanks so much.

It was the magnetic cover.

Removed and now 100% working.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Problem is, the times where I am working with AUM without my audio interface is exactly when I want my cover to be on. (Like, iPad in my lap in some public space.) So I am hoping for another workaround.

• @LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Problem is, the times where I am working with AUM without my audio interface is exactly when I want my cover to be on. (Like, iPad in my lap in some public space.) So I am hoping for another workaround.

There is no other workaround, itā€™s a firmware/hardware bug of Apple. You can get a non-magnetic cover.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

There is no other workaround, itā€™s a firmware/hardware bug of Apple. You can get a non-magnetic cover.

Oh, wow. That is really silly.šŸ™„

• @LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Or did you try iOS 15?

• I had the same problem and donā€™t have a magnetic cover. My solution was just to take off the cable from the wall and to plug it again.

I was trying all the possible solutions given in internet and this was the solution šŸ˜‚

I have a new M1 iPad 11ā€ with a steinberg MkII interface.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Or did you try iOS 15?

Not yet. I might do it, but so far the nuissance is manageable, as I am not working outside my studio that much, and with the audio interface on, I have not had the issue.

• @Atlesbe said:
    I had the same problem and donā€™t have a magnetic cover. My solution was just to take off the cable from the wall and to plug it again.

I was trying all the possible solutions given in internet and this was the solution šŸ˜‚

I have a new M1 iPad 11ā€ with a steinberg MkII interface.

Wow, based on this, the issue seems to be ā€œall over the placeā€. With/without magnetic cover, with/without power, with/without audio interface.