Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM "Patch" Setup Advice

Hi,
Imma somewhat new to using iOS for what I'll call Fx Processing. I am an electric violin player who is using AUM and plugin apps to replace (and hopefully improve) my Axe Fx III hardware/software box.

I use a Xsonic Xtone audio interface, which provides both the audio input from the violin-and MIDI CC messages to my iPad. I have an iPad Pro 2021.

ADVICE NEEDED: I want an

• approach on arranging the AUM channels [plural] which represent each unique "patch" in a traditional multi-fx processor :: I list my patches below ~~~~> DSP conservation
  • suggestion on how to turn on ONE patch, and assure all others are turned off..........with one 'click' or 'foot stomp' on my Xtone

Right Now....as a starter; Each patch listed below gets a unique channel in AUM

Let me explain my various patches:

• simple lead violin -
    * compressor - to smooth out volume spikes or lows
    * Thafknar - an IR of a natural violin to get a natural sound out of a piezo pickup
    * Optional Delay - an IR of a natural violin to get a natural sound out of a piezo pickup
    * Reverb (AltiSpace) - to enhance the natural violin sound

• ethereal violin -
    * Thafknar - an IR of a natural violin to get a natural sound out of a piezo pickup
    * Harmony Processor - adds an octave up, and maybe a 5th up
    * Shimmer Reverb

• B3-olin - (Mimic Hammond B3)
    * Rotary Fx - the famous Leslie cabinet that weighs less than 5 pounds
    * Filter - sometimes I add this get more funk into the organ sound; like a wah
    * Reverb (probably AltiSpace) - just a light reverb

• simple lead + harmonyh violin -
    * Simple Harmony Processor - for adding a 3rd up; used with simple folk/pop sounds
    * Reverb (AltiSpace) - to enhance the natural violin sound

Should I have a separate AUM channel for each patch? or is that wasting DSP power?
What other approaches might there be?

MIDI Control - this is important :: I want to be able to be able to switch patches. Go from one to another - turn off ALL of the other patches, and turn on ONE specific patch via MIDI? I'm very confused on how to do this. The Xtone sends CC messages not program messages.

T H A N K S!!!

Comments

• Simple answer:

AUM has a MIDI control section and each Channel can be controlled (mute/unmute) from a CC value triggered by a foot pedal button.

Assuming you the the DSP/CPU resources to have all channels loaded this is a good solution... it allows you to
    process the violin signal and add/delete additional channels at will.

You can get to the MIDI Control page from the upper right corner "triple line" icon. The MIDI control page... each
    channel will be listed and each channel page has a "Mute" control that can be "MIDI Learned" to it's appropriate button
    once the foot pedal is configured as a MIDI source.

• Here's a question/approach......since "many" of my patches will start with the same 2 Fx (compressor and then Thafknar) - should I have those 2 Fx in say Channel A or 1, and then route that to other Channels where I'll add in other/different Fx

Or should I replicate those two Fx - as shown in the diagram?

• The Xtone has no MIDI in or out. You’ll likely need a separate midi controller like a programmable foot pedal (like a Keith mcmillen softstep) to switch between patches. You can use ANY midi controller - so you don’t need anything overly expensive.

Midi map your channel to mute or bypass your FX or audio.

See also @McD who answered as I was typing this - lol

• @Vmusic . If your compressor and Thafknar settings are the same in all channels, you could certainly put them, with the mic input, into one channel. Send its output to 4 busses, one for each of your styles. That'd save a fair amount of processing.

Then, rather than trying to mute all but one channel, could you Solo only the desired channel? You'd still need to switch one off and another on, however. That's likely a job for Mozaic or StreamByter, because you need some brainpower to remember what was On, so it can turn it Off before turning another channel On. The script would receive MIDI from the controller, and send modified MIDI messages to the internal AUM MIDI Control port.

• @McD said:
    Simple answer:

AUM has a MIDI control section and each Channel can be controlled (mute/unmute) from a CC value triggered by a foot pedal button.

Assuming you the the DSP/CPU resources to have all channels loaded this is a good solution... it allows you to
    process the violin signal and add/delete additional channels at will.

You can get to the MIDI Control page from the upper right corner "triple line" icon. The MIDI control page... each
    channel will be listed and each channel page has a "Mute" control that can be "MIDI Learned" to it's appropriate button
    once the foot pedal is configured as a MIDI source.

I believe he would like to tap a single button to play one style, rather than needing to turn the old style Off and the new one On. That's why I suggest a script that could remember the previous state, and turn it Off while turning the new one On.

• @Vmusic said:
    Here's a question/approach......since "many" of my patches will start with the same 2 Fx (compressor and then Thafknar) - should I have those 2 Fx in say Channel A or 1, and then route that to other Channels where I'll add in other/different Fx

Or should I replicate those two Fx - as shown in the diagram?

AUM has great MixBus capabilities so running one instance of most FX is preferable since they all get mixed into a final
    output anyway. You can even send a channel to a side bus and control the wet/dry mix of the FX into the final result.
    AUM calls these side bus internal controls "Bus Send". There are 16 of these internal busses to use. AUM has features
    most want in their old school DAWs like Cubasis, Auria Pro, etc.

• @uncledave said:
    I believe he would like to tap a single button to play one style, rather than needing to turn the old style Off and the new one On. That's why I suggest a script that could remember the previous state, and turn it Off while turning the new one On.

OK. TIMTOWTDI. Your reply wasn't posted when I wrote mine by the way. Personally, I love using scripts but some prefer
    using App features. Mosaic rocks for situations like this and @Wim, @_Ki, @Janosax and the guy that writes EWI scripts
    have usually already created a solution for many of these "live performer" issues.

• @Vmusic . The attached StreamByter script does what I described. Each button input unmutes one AUM channel, leaving the rest muted. I've tested this with my controller, and it works as described. If you download it, just unzip the file, select it, and Share it with StreamByter. You need to save it to iCloud in order for the StreamByter AU to access it. Please PM me if it's not what you need, or if you have problems.

• @audiblevideo - Actually Xtone has MIDI in/thru. There are foot switch or 'stomp' switches on the Xtone that send MIDI CC messages. Sorry for not making that clear. The Xtone sends BOTH the audio and MIDI through USB to the iPad

@audiblevideo said:
    The Xtone has no MIDI in or out. You’ll likely need a separate midi controller like a programmable foot pedal (like a Keith mcmillen softstep) to switch between patches. You can use ANY midi controller - so you don’t need anything overly expensive.

Midi map your channel to mute or bypass your FX or audio.

See also @McD who answered as I was typing this - lol

• @uncledave - WOW!! Thanks for the script, I will try it out

• @Vmusic said:
    @uncledave - WOW!! Thanks for the script, I will try it out

Cool. It'll need some adaptation for the CCs sent from your Xtone.