Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - November 2021

Comments

• @pexfra said:
    Hello!

This is Shivers, Ed Sheeran instrumental version recorded in Garageband, hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/TzNsX1uMSSI

Very nice guitar playing here. A terrific record of a great performance.

• edited November 2021

@DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on an older iPad running iOS 10.3.3. I used the TC-Data app as a MIDI front-end for the Alchemy Mobile and Thor synth apps. And I used the AUM app to connect everything and record the music.

After bringing the AUM recording over to my PC, I added Fabfilter's Timeless 3 plugin to the mix in Vegas Pro.

It's titled Curved.

That's a lovely ambient piece, that slowly evolves and drifts. I listen to a lot of music like this while I'm working, and this is a great example of the genre.

The visuals also work really well.

• The guitar is hauntingly beautiful and sparse, it provides quite the contrast to the voice.

• @klownshed said:
    For context, here’s an instrumental version of the original song-- it's a bit different...

I have to say I prefer it without the vocals (and believe me, it's rare that I ever say that!).

It's got all the elements I like: the sound design, the vibe, the groove. It's a great track as it stands. Could it be improved with vocals? Maybe, but I think they would have to be created specifically for this track, as opposed to sourced from elsewhere.

In terms of production and composition this is great, I love those menacing guitars and the tribal drums.

• @richardyot said:

@klownshed said:
    For context, here’s an instrumental version of the original song-- it's a bit different...

I have to say I prefer it without the vocals (and believe me, it's rare that I ever say that!).

It's got all the elements I like: the sound design, the vibe, the groove. It's a great track as it stands. Could it be improved with vocals? Maybe, but I think they would have to be created specifically for this track, as opposed to sourced from elsewhere.

In terms of production and composition this is great, I love those menacing guitars and the tribal drums.

The vocals were actually written to go with the instrumental version of the song. We used to gig it and that was the backing track we used. That version is from 2007 (15 years!!!). I should have a logic project on a backup with a complete set of vocals (multi-tracked) somewhere. I seem to remember we couldn't quite get the vocals to sit right at the time and intended to re-record them. But never got around to it.

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get a mix finished of the original song that sounds reasonable, even if just for nostalgia's sake.

The song I posted in this months SOTMC was originally nothing to do with "Rain dance". I just stumbled upon a project with an incomplete set of vocals and thought they'd fit an electro track I was trying to make that started life on a Novation Circuit. Nothing actually remains of that Circuit track, but it made for a good starting point.

TBH I'm fairly happy with it as a standalone song, but as soon as the vocals went on I treated it as if I were making a 1990s 12" Extended Remix. Which tended to be a bit like the 7" with 5" of nothing in the middle :lol:

Anyway, Thanks for listening to the original as well, and for the kind words :-)

• @klownshed said:
    The song I posted in this months SOTMC was originally nothing to do with "Rain dance". I just stumbled upon a project with an incomplete set of vocals and thought they'd fit an electro track I was trying to make that started life on a Novation Circuit. Nothing actually remains of that Circuit track, but it made for a good starting point.

Ah sorry I got the wrong end of the stick - I should have realised that the two tracks were different, the title and the vocals confused me - sorry. 😮

• @richardyot - 83 consecutive months! What an achievement! Congratulations! :smile:
    "November" - this one was just ok for me. Most of your previous work I had listened had a catchy tune to it. This is probably, for me, what is lacking in this one. Other than that great production.

Once again, your commitment and dedication here is just outstanding! Very inspiring.

• @klownshed
    "Rain Dance" - Some very interesting stuff going on harmonically in this piece. There is tension and suspense and I like that a lot. Around 1:53 mark is superb! That synth! The only thing for me is that the sample repeats too many times that it is distracting. Other than that it is a solid piece of work!

• @DavidEnglish
    "Curved" - I enjoyed this a lot. I used to listen to Biosphere a lot back many, many years ago and this is right up there with such work in ambient. Very atmospheric and arctic!

• @Kitusai
    "CAAt Claw" - Not surprising; this was something different and very artistic. It sounds like a theme for an activism movement. I was expecting the roar of a crowd at some point.

• @pexfra

"Shivers" - Garageband is so great. This was a lovely little production and your guitar playing is really good. I enjoyed this very much. I'd have liked to hear some variations some breaks for the guitar so the underlying rhythm and elements had a chance to shine through as well. Thank you for sharing. :smile:

• @Overdosed_Ape
    "Easy as Cuba" - Yes! Definitely good old technovibes. I enjoyed this very much because there was a time I listened to such bands as The Orb, Orbital and all that in late 90s. I don't have much to say in the way of constructive criticism for piece though. Thank you for sharing. :smile:

• @spyrogaia said:
    @richardyot - 83 consecutive months! What an achievement! Congratulations! :smile:
    "November" - this one was just ok for me. Most of your previous work I had listened had a catchy tune to it. This is probably, for me, what is lacking in this one. Other than that great production.

Once again, your commitment and dedication here is just outstanding! Very inspiring.

Thanks for the listen and the honest feedback, and I agree: my entry this month is a dud, I knew that before even posting it. It happens, but it doesn't bother me because there's always next month :)

• @spyrogaia said:
    @klownshed
    "Rain Dance" - Some very interesting stuff going on harmonically in this piece. There is tension and suspense and I like that a lot. Around 1:53 mark is superb! That synth! The only thing for me is that the sample repeats too many times that it is distracting. Other than that it is a solid piece of work!

It does repeat a lot, agreed. Maybe I'll make a "non-extended remix" out of it one day and chop it in half :-)

• @klownshed said:

@pexfra said:
    Hello!

This is Shivers, Ed Sheeran instrumental version recorded in Garageband, hope you like it!

Great guitar tone and playing.

From a mix perspective, I think that the guitar is a bit too dominant. I like the strings but they're drowned out by the guitar. I'd also probably swap out the synth pad with celli/violas etc and maybe pan them so they have their own space within the mix and don't fight for the guitar's frequencies.

thanks for the advice, listening again I agree with you, in the next one I will work better on these details

• @richardyot said:

@pexfra said:
    Hello!

Very nice guitar playing here. A terrific record of a great performance.

Thank you!

• @spyrogaia said:
    @pexfra

"Shivers" - Garageband is so great. This was a lovely little production and your guitar playing is really good. I enjoyed this very much. I'd have liked to hear some variations some breaks for the guitar so the underlying rhythm and elements had a chance to shine through as well. Thank you for sharing. :smile:

you're right I was too linear, thanks for the advice and for listening

• My contribution to the SOTM Nov 2021: Nightfall - a ballad on piano composed on Korg Gadget.

Please let me know what you think :smile:

• @spyrogaia said:
    My contribution to the SOTM Nov 2021: Nightfall - a ballad on piano composed on Korg Gadget.

It's a very atmospheric piece, with a nice combination of arps and melodies. I love the way the arrangement ebbs and flows which keeps the track interesting throughout, and the variations on the piano theme also work really well and keep me wanting to listen all the way through.

The piano melodies always resolve very nicely as well, which really helps to make them memorable and enjoyable. Melodic cadence is an underrated thing IMO. I also really like the simplicity of the piano part, because it's stripped down to the essentials: tension, release, space. It works beautifully.

• @richardyot
    Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. ☺️

The piano melodies are inspired by Chopin’s Nocturnes op. 9:No. 1; I use a variation of the melody heard on the 5th and 6th bar (such a beautifully evocative moment in the piece !) as part of the melody in the chorus. I also used the same key - Bb minor.

• @spyrogaia maybe I should listen to some Chopin 👍

• edited November 2021

@spyrogaia said:
    My contribution to the SOTM Nov 2021: Nightfall - a ballad on piano composed on Korg Gadget.

I like the melody motif and it's a good arrangement. It's very mellow, with a clear, bright mix and subtle drums. All things I can't do :-) Especially the mellow bit. :lol:

• @richardyot
    Sudden opening creates a strong guitar-reflection soundscape. Very nice bass just before the vocals kick in. Very interesting chord shifts that set up a darker tone in various spots. More experimental than your previous songs. Seems to be pushing several envelopes here.

@klownshed
    Lots of energy right out of the gate. Solid driving beat with a sort pf mysterious afterglow. Singing voice has a cool semi-synthetic quality. Very nice change-up just before the two-minute mark. A strong in-your-face song.

@Kitusai
    Definitely has a ragged steampunk feel to it. I could picture myself listening to this inside CBGB’s back in the 1970s. Nicely done.

@Overdosed_Ape
    Strong beat with plenty of interesting musical side adventures. A look back at the techno 1990s with swirls of present-day motifs accompanying the traveler on the journey. Really like the change in tone just before the three-minute mark. Quite interesting throughout.

@pexfra
    Very cool instrumental cover. Again, I love seeing it unfold in real-time in Garageband. The guitar sound is especially good in this one.

@spyrogaia
    Powerful melody-driven piece that evolves in interesting directions as it progresses. It achieves what it sets out to do without being either showy or overdone. Unusually strong mix of sounds and moods -- all within just a few minutes time. I really like this one.

• @richardyot The style is here but it is not your best entry. The vocals sounds a bit out of tune to my ears. Well you are getting very old indeed (83 months ouch!!! :-) But despite your old age and the associated rheumatism, you still have that sweet pop stylistic touch that I really like.

@klownshed The sound work is fabulous. And the track is very exciting with nice breaks. A very scary science fiction piece. Hat off.

@DavidEnglish A Flying tea pot that I like. What kind of spices do you use to brew your tea?

@Overdosed_Ape But who is this bearded revolutionary in the picture? Cool techno vibe with a sympathic swingy beat.

@pexfra Nice sound and nice lyrical guitar part. Knopfler get out of that body!

@spyrogaia This is a very nice walk under the stars. I love this clear and liquid piano sound. I like a little less when the piece becomes orchestral. And then the nocturnal atmosphere returns with happiness. I feel hope with a touch of nostalgia in this piece. Very nice.

• @Kitusai the guy is the old and future Version of a Dude who lived the upcoming game to postmodern sounds

• edited December 2021

Just a preview

• @Overdosed_Ape said:
    Just a preview

Rather than post more music in the thread, maybe you should take the time to comment on the tracks posted by @klownshed @DavidEnglish @Kitusai @pexfra and @spyrogaia who have all reviewed your track?

What do you think? Would that be fair? 🤔

• edited December 2021

@richardyot said:

@Overdosed_Ape said:
    Just a preview

Rather than post more music in the thread, maybe you should take the time to comment on the tracks posted by @klownshed @DavidEnglish @Kitusai @pexfra and @spyrogaia who have all reviewed your track?

What do you think? Would that be fair? 🤔

Yeah for sure…the last month’s I did this…..in my memories I gave @DavidEnglish a compliment for his post + a slight critic. This month I was happy for being able to post a track. But maybe tonight I listen to all of them and when I have something good to mention I will give feedback.