Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Am I first to notice the AUM update

Comments

• Thanks... Going and get..

• edited November 2021

There is a lot there so going to take a while to ingest. Thanks @j_liljedahl !

• Nice update, thanks for the heads up!
    I love the thinner plugin title bar and the removal of the window size handle when the plugin window is maximized - there's more real estate for LK :)

• edited November 2021

MIDI Bus going to be useful for grouping related generators. I also appreciate the extra screen space changes.

Choosing input source (Settings) means that you can record from any of the iPad mics even if you have a USB interface attached which I don't think was possible before.

• A how-to video would be nice... Thanks Mr. AUM..

• Double tap space empty space to hide / bring back av3’s is awesome
    Sweet update so far !!
    Great work

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2021

@j_liljedahl Wow, cool !

I don‘t want to spoil the party

but i run into problems with Rock Drummer or any of the Lumbeat Drummers, these no longer play alongside AUM. I tried Link On, Link On + Start, or Link Disabled settings, but couldn‘t get these to start.

In the Link modes, the Play button (inside the drummer) blinks correctly on the bar, even the current bar is started - but they don‘t start to play!

Another ‚bug‘ i noticed is that in the moment i re-enable link in AUM while such a drummer IAA is loaded, the AUM tempo jumps to 20bpm and i have re-adjust it back to the previous tempo.

• edited November 2021

@_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl Wow, cool !

I don‘t want to spoil the party

but i run into problems with Rock Drummer or any of the Lumbeat Drummers, these no longer play alongside AUM. I tried Link On, Link On + Start, or Link Disabled settings, but couldn‘t get these to start.

In the Link modes, the Play button (inside the drummer) blinks correctly on the bar, even the current bar is started - but they don‘t start to play!

Another ‚bug‘ i noticed is that in the moment i re-enable link in AUM while such a drummer IAA is loaded, the AUM tempo jumps to 20bpm and i have re-adjust it back to the previous tempo.

They work as expected here... It may be network issues 'over there'.. Edit... Or the usual 'Reboot' thing ..

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2021

Ok, i check. Already had rebooted the iPad because of the missing AUv3 bug at the first start auf AUM. I just now tested Drumjam and Elastic beats IAA, which both worked and played in sync with AUM.

@j_liljedahl
    NopeE - i can‘t get Future Drummer, Mid-East Drummer, Jazz Drummer, Rock Drummer, Indian Drummer, Reggae Drummer or Funk Drummer to play with AUM any more. Lumbeats iBassist works in Link disabled/disabled and Link Sync start modes.

I tried several other IAA with sequencers or drums now:

Working: DrumJam, Elastic Drums, ElectribeWave, Gadget, Sector, PureAcid (IAA) work as before.

Problems:

• Blockswave also doesn‘t start playing even though tempo changes are recognized when using link. Starting Blockswave also doesn‘t work if Link is disabled in both apps.
    • Patterning 2, doesn‘t play/start - checked with and with out Link enabled in both

I have an iPad 10.5 Pro running IOS 14.8

• I am very happy with the (qwerty) Keyboard shotcuts! (Press CMD to see them all!); Play/Pause with the spacebar, etc., etc....

• @Harro, yeah the keyboard commands are really helpful - i also like the midi source grouping, noticed the CC and midi message filters. I‘ll probably need go through the update info list to catch all the new features ;-)

• Just had a weird one with Fundamental that seems to be repeatable.

Tried it because I had to fiddle with the window previously to see the full interface - now just maximising works, so that’s the plus.

The minus is that is no longer makes any sound unless you select another bank, at which point it starts to play the loaded preset, but sometimes it does the reverse of what the trigger button is supposed to do (play sound when activated, silent when not). It was working fine in the previous version of AUM, and hasn’t been updated, so it’s the AUM update that’s the difference.

• iPhone 11 iOS 15.1
    Reggae drummer works fine for me

• Midi node is amazing. Filtering CC's and message typed

• Lovely update - might just be expectation bias but it feels a lot smoother on my iPhone 13 pro.

• @_ki said:
    Ok, i check. Already had rebooted the iPad because of the missing AUv3 bug at the first start auf AUM. I just now tested Drumjam and Elastic beats IAA, which both worked and played in sync with AUM.

@j_liljedahl
    NopeE - i can‘t get Future Drummer, Mid-East Drummer, Jazz Drummer, Rock Drummer, Indian Drummer, Reggae Drummer or Funk Drummer to play with AUM any more. Lumbeats iBassist works in Link disabled/disabled and Link Sync start modes.

Funk drummer is working just fine here. iPad OS 14

• I have adopted the technique of launching Lumbeat apps before adding them as IAA in AUM. That said, Soft Drummer is syncing up with the latest AUM release for me.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2021

The mix-bus naming will help in organizing session, i‘m going to use that a lot :)

I‘m slowly working through my list of IAAs… Blockwave also doesn‘t start/play anymore when loaded in AUM, many others behaved well. BeatMaker 3 doesn‘t load at all, but i never did that, so i don‘t know if loading in AUM worked before
    The Patterning 2/AUM combo also has problems on my iPad.

@GRiker Yes, already tried that order but it didn‘t help. Up to now it seems i‘m the only one experiencing the „IAAs wont start playing“ problem - which is good in one way (not too people affected, not many bug reports about broken things), but also bad (harder to debug and i can‘t use several of my session anymore)

• @_ki, I usually load BlocsWave and GrooveBox into AB3, sending the output to AUM. This makes it easier to switch windows using AB3's sidebar. You might try it to see if syncing works in that scenario.

• Huge update! Thanks @j_liljedahl! Will have to dive in tonight. Massive to have midi busses, will taking routing to the next level. AUM has one of the best routing systems of any DAW.

• Huuge update, awesome!!!
    Wondering about that AU tag implementation you told me in other AUM thread, @j_liljedahl . Is it there and I can't find it, or is it coming later?
    Thanks for this great update!! Cheers

• @_ki said:
    The mix-bus naming will help in organizing session, i‘m going to use that a lot :)

I‘m slowly working through my list of IAAs… Blockwave also doesn‘t start/play anymore when loaded in AUM, many others behaved well. BeatMaker 3 doesn‘t load at all, but i never did that, so i don‘t know if loading in AUM worked before

@GRiker Yes, already tried that order but it didn‘t help. Up to now it seems i‘m the only one experiencing the „IAAs wont start playing“ problem - which is good in one way (not too people affected, not many bug reports about broken things), but also bad (harder to debug and i can‘t use several of my session anymore)

BlocsWave hasn’t started in AUM for a long time now.

• @j_liljedahl The User Guide isn't dated. Is it in sync with this release? If so, I'll start there for learning more about the new features.

• Is it just me or has the update not yet reached the west coast of US?

• Thank you @j_liljedahl! After seeing all the additions to MIDI routing, do you think there’s a chance of adding customization to the keyboard icon/double tap gesture?

• edited November 2021

@_ki said:

Are you sure this is an AUM problem? I haven't opened Patterning 1 in a long time but I just tried and I can't get it to start at all either, with or without a host. Wondering if it's the same issue with v2. edit, ok I can get it to work in Apematrix...

• Plugin window maximized size interferes with the iPadOS home bar. Is there a way to disable the home bar per app or is it up to the developer to enable some kind off fullscreen mode?

• @_ki said:

@j_liljedahl

I tried several other IAA with sequencers or drums now:

Working: DrumJam, Elastic Drums, ElectribeWave, Gadget, Sector, PureAcid (IAA) work as before.

Problems:

• Blockswave also doesn‘t start playing even though tempo changes are recognized when using link. Starting Blockswave also doesn‘t work if Link is disabled in both apps.
    • Patterning 2, doesn‘t play/start - checked with and with out Link enabled in both

I haven't changed anything that would cause such issues as far as I know. Are you sure Link Sync Start/Stop is enabled in all apps? Also, why use Link instead of host sync? Both IAA and AUv3 has direct access to the host sync and should follow that instead of going via Link.

@bygjohn said:
    Just had a weird one with Fundamental that seems to be repeatable.

Tried it because I had to fiddle with the window previously to see the full interface - now just maximising works, so that’s the plus.

The minus is that is no longer makes any sound unless you select another bank, at which point it starts to play the loaded preset, but sometimes it does the reverse of what the trigger button is supposed to do (play sound when activated, silent when not). It was working fine in the previous version of AUM, and hasn’t been updated, so it’s the AUM update that’s the difference.

AUM has no way to interfere with what a plugin does inside its own user interface, such as selecting banks or triggering buttons.

@sharifkerbage said:
    Huuge update, awesome!!!
    Wondering about that AU tag implementation you told me in other AUM thread, @j_liljedahl . Is it there and I can't find it, or is it coming later?
    Thanks for this great update!! Cheers

I'm hoping to add that in the future!

@Thames1990 said:
    Plugin window maximized size interferes with the iPadOS home bar. Is there a way to disable the home bar per app or is it up to the developer to enable some kind off fullscreen mode?

Unfortunately no, on ipads without home button this indicator is always visible as far as I can tell. I probably need to avoid the lower part of the screen for maximized AUv3 windows :(

• @_ki said:

I figure you've already checked, but just in case ... do all involved apps have Local Network access enabled?