Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM for Mac?

I'm currently experimenting with porting AUM to Mac. It would involve quite a lot of work but I think it's doable. My idea is to offer it as a separate purchase for Mac, and I'd like to hear from my users what you think about this! Would you be interested in paying for a Mac version of AUM? Or would you think it's "unfair" to buy it again as opposed to making the current version universal iOS+Mac?

AUM for Mac
  1. Would you be happy to pay for an AUM for Mac version even if you already bought the iOS version?216 votes
    1. Yes
      61.57%
    2. Maybe
      12.50%
    3. No way!
        2.31%
    4. Neither, I'm not interested in a Mac version
      23.61%

Comments

• That would be great.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It wouldn’t ever become my first port of call as the whole point of AUM on iPad for me is the flow of the touchscreen with all the apps I have. It might be useful as an adjunct, allowing me to port over workflows from an AUM session for the rare occasions these days that I need to work on something further in Ableton, but honestly, I can see the problem being that even if AUM ports, all the apps it is hosting won’t, which kind of renders the point of it moot.

Personally, I’d much rather see some minimal native timeline and automation features added (even as optional IAP) to iPad AUM over anything to do with Mac.

• I love AUM. I am currently looking for something lightweight to run on my old (2013) Macbook Pro that can host multiple soft synths for playback, add some external effects and allow them to sync up with Ableton Link without adding a lot of overhead. Yeah, I could run Ableton itself but seems like that overpowers my machine. Not sure if that is the main use case you envision but I'd love it if that were an option for me.

• If AUM were to exist on a macOS, multithreading would be essential IMO. Is this something you're considering @j_liljedahl ?

• x86 or just arm?

• edited November 2021

I'd love this - currently the closest thing I've found to AUM on desktop is Element but would definitely be in line (and pay) for a Mac version. Let me know if you need beta testers....👍

• edited November 2021

I love AUM too and use it everyday, but don't know how much I'd use the Mac version though it would be fun to try. Have a reliable AUv3 host on Mac could be useful, but not many AUv3 are cross-supported. If AUM for Mac also supported other AUs or even VSTs, then that would be amazing but I'm guessing more complex.

I decided to not vote because ultimately it's your decision to charge for your work and time, and I would respect it either way.

• I’d be totally in. Whenever I use my Mac for music I really miss even the simple routing options from AUM, and also AudioBus.

• I certainly would be happy to pay for it again to have it on the Mac. I have been trying to come up with similar workflows on the Mac using MidiFire, Drambo and Kushview Elements. MidiFire scenes containing AUv3s, for example, will open with their state restored on the Mac. Same for Drambo projects.

A number of the respected iOS synths work as universal iOS/Mac apps and quite a few other big-hitter apps are available such as Atom 2/Helium/Neon, although app availability is still sparse despite the strong starting line up.

The main use-case I can think of at the moment would be as a way of being able to work on an AUM scene of sequencers/synths and move it back/forth between desktop<->iOS so it would be important that there is cross-compatibility there. If VSTs/AUv2s are supported then I would expect the state of those to be retained as the project is moved around but not impact the ability for the project to work on iOS.

The support of AUv3 MIDI/instruments/FX would be a USP I think outside of Logic. Other AUM-like environments I have looked at do not support AUv3 plugins.

If nothing else then it may be the push that is needed to incentivise some iOS app developers to get their apps ready for running on the desktop.

• Hmmm...I can see the value of AUM on the desktop even though I only make music on my iPad. However...if, as you say, it "would involve quite a lot of work", I wouldn't want you to spend your time on that instead of further development of the iOS version... :)

• i was just about to ask you ! i would love it !!! and will gladly pay 💰 can’t wait @j_liljedahl

• heshes
    edited November 2021

I would be interested.

I think optimal pricing would be to have two prices for the Mac version, one for first-time purchasers, and a lower price for purchasers who've already bought AUM on iOS.

And I think that means you'd also adjust iOS pricing in same way, one price for first-time purchasers, and a lower price for purchasers who'd already bought AUM on Mac. I think this might amount to same thing as a "bundle deal" with the way App Store works, not sure, but I don't think bundles work cross-platform.

• I answered the poll with an unqualified yes, but what I'd really like to have is a headless capable Mac build with a UI on a network connected iOS device.

• Considering I can't run any of my iPhone/iPad apps or plug-ins on my Intel MacMini the interest close to zero...
    On the Mac it's Logic / Mainstange and a few other apps that are in-focus and iPad acts more like a 'sound module'.

• That would be nice to see on desktop. I would also be interested in a Windows version as that could still be touch compatible...but I doubt that is in your plans. :)

The possibilty of AUM on desktop means possibilty of bigger screen real estate and CPU power which would be the main advantage for me. But not having the same plugins compatible might be a problem in sharing projects between iOS and Mac. So in reality I guess it depends on that how much I would actually use it. I would think I would still use iOS version much more.

• Low cost: Mainstage.
    Otherwise: Logic X, Live, Reaper, your DAW of choice which is usually purchased already.

• I have enough software on my Mac already whereby I wouldn’t really benefit from buying it.

• If I’m on my Mac I’m always using Ableton..
    I live in AUM when I’m using the iPad..
    2 different mindsets.. 2 different platforms.. 2 different apps..

• What would I load into AUM4Mac without any AUv3 or IAA apps? I certainly wouldn't expect to be ready to buy dozens of apps that require a touch screen.

If Apple adds touch screen capabilities to the Mac and allows all my purchased iStore apps to run there then AUM would join that flood of new capabilities. But I doubt that's in anyones business plans since it
    leverage customer assets for the benefit of additional Mac sales and the developer pushback might be severe.

I do think you should continue with the port and find an additional market of users and that the users here might be irrelevant to the project in a way since they might already have a Mac workflow that AUM
    doesn't displace or have no interest in a Laptop/Desktop solution.

• Personally for me, AUM is all about touch interface. I could see this path viable to target the frequently requested feature - full blown seq companion (like the DAW behind Harrison console). So there could be a full blown DAW on desktop + a limited set of features usable on touchscreen, with ability to transfer things back and forth.

• @oddSTAR said:
    I love AUM. I am currently looking for something lightweight to run on my old (2013) Macbook Pro that can host multiple soft synths for playback, add some external effects and allow them to sync up with Ableton Link without adding a lot of overhead. Yeah, I could run Ableton itself but seems like that overpowers my machine. Not sure if that is the main use case you envision but I'd love it if that were an option for me.

Live is very efficient, I'm running is on my old 2013 mbp too and it works very well.

• well, it depends. I would love AUM on mac, but only if i could use plugins in it. and from what ive gathered, theres not many dev's who have added support yet.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    well, it depends. I would love AUM on mac, but only if i could use plugins in it. and from what ive gathered, theres not many dev's who have added support yet.

AUM on Mac would support AU and VST plugins, don't you think?

• If I were interested, I’d be happy to pay again. However, if I’m taking the trouble to use a desktop, it’s because I need to use a DAW. I don’t think I would have any use for AUM on my Nac.

• @wim said:
    If I were interested, I’d be happy to pay again. However, if I’m taking the trouble to use a desktop, it’s because I need to use a DAW. I don’t think I would have any use for AUM on my Nac.

This for me. Also I would rather see more of your great development on the iOS side. Lots more we can see in AUM.

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

That said, I think it would sell like hotcakes.
    (and that in a moment of weakness some day I'd buy it anyway ... eventually)

• Hopefully it would encourage more devs to release native M1 apps

• In Logic Pro X there’s a dusty cobwebby old labyrinth of caves called the Environment, which leg end has it used to be the only way to connect tracks to mixer channels, devices to midi ports, etc. In these enlightened times it is well hidden, but occasionally on Halloween you can vaguely see evidence of it through portals in the cheese-time continuuuuuuuuum.

• Yes! 👍🐬🚀

Definitely’d pay for a Mac version - Your time & effort are greatly appreciated! 🎛🙏🎧