Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event confirmed for October the 18th : New MacBook Pros?

Comments

• @ocelot said:

@GrimLucky said:

@ocelot said:

@klownshed said:
    I hope you ordered a polishing cloth at the same time as your M1 MAX MacBook Pro as delivery times are now into December... Don't get the screen grubby before then :-D

Interested in Apple's polishing clothes, but I'd need to know their thread-count first.

Hmm, I think I’ll only get a cloth if it’s got Apple care, also I wanted a slightly bigger one but it was double the price.

Me personally, I would need the micro-fiber sized one.

Everyone could use more microfiber in their diet.

• @klownshed said:

@Identor said:
    How do you guy's manage screen estate on an Macbook while working with a DAW?
    I still have a 16" Retina Macbook Pro, (Mid 2012, 2,3 GHz Quad Core I7, 8Gb RAM), bought second-hand for 600 Euro.
    If i use Reason 12, my screen is packed, even at 80% zoom (I have to wear good glasses with the tiny letters)

I find it hard to use Reason on a laptop too.

I use Logic on my 15" MBP all the time and don't have too many problems. Logic has a really useful screenset feature where you can set up the screen for different tasks and switch between them instantly by typing a number or selecting from the menu.

So for example I have various arrangement screens set up differently, for example one with the inspectors open and a reasonable zoom level for the tracks, and another with all the inspectors, etc. hidden to see the overall arrangement more easily with the mixer faders in the bottom half switchable with one key. I switch between the screens by just hitting the number keys on my keyboard. I also have things like a midi editor full screen on another set so to edit the midi in a region I just hit 3 and get full screen editing without messing up my arrangement view.

Logic is far more readable for me than Reason, which I too need glasses for now :-(

Yeah, my buddy says the same thing about Logic with arrangement views. I use reason the same way you do, I’m rack form only as a plug-in with Ableton, but Im very intrigued by Logic, especially with the ability to select multiple midi clips and edit them all simultaneously. For orchestra parts, that seems like the bees knees! I’ll be getting Logic when my new M1 Max gets here.

• whats the verdict on M1 max VS M1 Pro?? Any reason other than graphics to fork out more for Max?

• @shinyisshiny said:
    whats the verdict on M1 max VS M1 Pro?? Any reason other than graphics to fork out more for Max?

Maximum RAM and Throughput. Still seems it relegated to video/4k guys.,

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    whats the verdict on M1 max VS M1 Pro?? Any reason other than graphics to fork out more for Max?

Yeah the memory throughput on the Max is insanely fast.

• @drez said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@shinyisshiny said:

what does that mean exactly? just an overall faster workflow? Faster and better streaming of samples? I do use a ton of kontakt libraries, and my current 2018 MB Pro can't keep up.

• @shinyisshiny said:

@drez said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@shinyisshiny said:

what does that mean exactly? just an overall faster workflow? Faster and better streaming of samples? I do use a ton of kontakt libraries, and my current 2018 MB Pro can't keep up.

Its how fast in can read/write/swap/etc data from the SSD/HD/RAM/external ports. That being said, I don't think its gonna help you that much yet with Kontakt as NI software is not apple silicon native yet

• @AlmostAnonymous ohh interesting. im thinking its definitely worth it then to pump out the extra bucks. I know NI isnt native yet, as well as a ton of other stuff, but im sure they will be around sooner or later. Im still keeping my 2018 rig and plan to use it as well until more dev's make the switch.

• im not gonna speak for everyone, but the throughput on the Max is just silly fast. I don't think you'll every get that maxed out for audio usage. Seems the M1Pro is more than enough for audio as most people are barely scraping the surface of the standard M1

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    im not gonna speak for everyone, but the throughput on the Max is just silly fast. I don't think you'll every get that maxed out for audio usage. Seems the M1Pro is more than enough for audio as most people are barely scraping the surface of the standard M1

I agree. M1 Max blows away any competing chip in its class, plus many desktop systems above its class.

• The amount of data that can move between the CPU and memory is 200GBytes per second on the Pro and 400Gbytes per sec on the Max. So moving data from memory to the CPU is twice as fast. BUT, read speed from the SSD is still capped at 7.4GBytes per sec so getting data INTO memory from disk won’t be any faster, but once objects are stored there they can be accessed by the CPU super fast. Which also means, the more RAM You have in the system, you can keep more objects in RAM and access them quickly. Larger sample libraries are the best bang for the buck. I agree with the statements above that it’s more geared for big big files like video, but if you are working on 96k/32bit files, I think you’ll see advantages.

This is my opinion, not facts so YmMv

• edited October 2021

@NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    im not gonna speak for everyone, but the throughput on the Max is just silly fast. I don't think you'll every get that maxed out for audio usage. Seems the M1Pro is more than enough for audio as most people are barely scraping the surface of the standard M1

I agree. M1 Max blows away any competing chip in its class, plus many desktop systems above its class.

That benchmark that appeared is pretty unreal for the M1Max. Curious if it will be lower on the M1Pro due to throughput.

• edited October 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

That benchmark that appeared is pretty unreal for the M1Max. Curious if it will be lower on the M1Pro due to throughput.

seems that the pro is quite something too … that’s the one i pre-ordered, should be fine 😎

• My MacBook Pro is 9 years old. (First 13” retina machine, I believe.) Ordered the 14” 10-core Max, 32Gb, 2Tb. Excited.

• @jebni said:
    My MacBook Pro is 9 years old. (First 13” retina machine, I believe.) Ordered the 14” 10-core Max, 32Gb, 2Tb. Excited.

mine is 11 years old … both of us are about to witness some serious change 😎

• It seems there might be one other difference between the 14" and 16". It doesn't sound like this is completely verified yet, but the 16" Max version is supposed to have a high energy mode that will push the fans higher and let the machine push for longer. I called it a high energy mode because it seems that the setting is enabled in the energy/power savings setting area of the System Preferences. There are supposed to be Apple docs that refer to it being useful for working with ProRes 8k video for color grading.

I don't know if it would have much benefit for audio work, but maybe if you were rendering out a huge project.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    It seems there might be one other difference between the 14" and 16". It doesn't sound like this is completely verified yet, but the 16" Max version is supposed to have a high energy mode that will push the fans higher and let the machine push for longer. I called it a high energy mode because it seems that the setting is enabled in the energy/power savings setting area of the System Preferences. There are supposed to be Apple docs that refer to it being useful for working with ProRes 8k video for color grading.

That sound similar to enabling sustained Turbo Boost in Intel XTU, or with a modded BIOS.

Apparently M1 Max uses a maximum(?) 60w for its GPU, and 30w for its CPU.
    14" w/ M1 Max includes a 96w power adapter, with no available upgrade to the 140W.
    16" w/ M1 Max includes a 140w power adapter, and weighs 0.1kg more with the M1 Max vs the M1 Pro.

I don't know if it would have much benefit for audio work, but maybe if you were rendering out a huge project.

Maybe we'll see more physical modeling synths. And more games on Mac.

Up to 64gb of 512-bit LPDDR5-6400 sitting on the CPU die sounds nice.

We'll see soon enough.

• I saw Mike Dean on IG ordered up 4 maxed out 16”, and it was like 25 thousand, lol.

I think I’m saving for the base 14” pro

• They get expensive quickly.

The base 14 is more than enough for me. >512Gb SSD would be nice but £1899 is already more than enough for me too :-)

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I saw Mike Dean on IG ordered up 4 maxed out 16”, and it was like 25 thousand, lol.

I think I’m saving for the base 14” pro

That's US $2600 in memory and SSD over the base price of the highest end 16". Outside of doing an entire movie production on my laptop, I can't comprehend needing that much storage. My reference points are outdated though, I can still remember how long I had to argue with myself to decide to spend $1200 on an 800MB drive.

Still, for almost every task I can think of I'd rather have a 1TB drive on the machine and use that extra cash to build a huge NAS.

• edited October 2021

I think people that buy that kind of laptop are just flexing.

• edited October 2021

Can you get AppleCare+ on that rag? In fact, there should be an upgrade programme for them

• @u0421793 said:
    Can you get AppleCare+ on that rag? In fact, there should be an upgrade programme for them

Haha. But seriously, there is no requirement that anyone must buy what Apple sells. Their accessories are not for the price sensitive.

• The support doc on the headphone amp on the new laptops is out https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

Might be a pretty decent improvement.

• edited November 2021

From this 1st video:
    'New' Logic Pro Benchmark at 09:39: (https://music-prod.com/logic-pro-benchmarks/)
    2021 16" MBP M1 Max (32gb RAM): 155 tracks
    2020 16" MBP i9/5600M (32gb RAM): 98 tracks

From this 2nd video:
    'New' Logic Pro Benchmark at 16:52:
    2021 14" MBP M1 Pro (base model with binned M1 Pro; 16gb RAM): 115 tracks (105 in later test in 4th video)
    2020 13" MB Air M1 (8gb RAM): 88 tracks

From this 3rd video, it looks like the 16" M1 Pro MBP, at $200 more, is a better value versus the 14" - bigger fans, heatpipes, speakers, and a different SSD chip layout (in both configurations with the same 512gb, the 16's r/w speeds are higher). 16" runs much cooler, fans turn on much later. 3.5K vs 3K display, bigger trackpad, bigger battery, etc.

Running the same benchmarks on both models, performance was nearly identical, though the 14's CPU hit 106C and was thermal throttling. Near the end of the tests, 14" had 3% battery remaining, 16" had 36%.

From this 4th video:
    'New' Logic Pro Benchmark at 08:47:
    $2300 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro (unbinned; 16gb RAM): 155 tracks
    $2000 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro (base model with binned M1 Pro; 16gb RAM): 105 tracks

14" has several additional Fast Charging options vs the 16": https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212755

14" vs 16", both with the M1 Max in this video.

• I've been looking forward to the MKBHD review of the new 14" and 16" Pro's kind of because it's like Apple designed these machines to match his workflow. I think if I watched with the sound off and only followed his expressions that his review would come through.

It's really interesting to me to hear his take on how the targeted units on the SoC impact his workflow.

• I made the mistake of visiting the Apple store and looking at this alongside the M1 MacBook Air. That screen!

• @mistercharlie said:
    I made the mistake of visiting the Apple store and looking at this alongside the M1 MacBook Air. That screen!

Haha yes, I did the same.
    Was convinced I would go for the Air, but then I saw the 14’ with that screen / the ports / the sound / the general build quality…

Then I went home to my iPad Mini.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I've been looking forward to the MKBHD review of the new 14" and 16" Pro's kind of because it's like Apple designed these machines to match his workflow. I think if I watched with the sound off and only followed his expressions that his review would come through.

It's really interesting to me to hear his take on how the targeted units on the SoC impact his workflow.

Ditto, took forever to come out this time too!

• @Tarekith said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    [...]

Ditto, took forever to come out this time too!

Yeah it did. But, there's been lots of stuff announced in his tech sphere over the last month. It'd be pretty hard to keep up with all of it.