Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The new 2021 Macbook Pro has 96khz samplerate!

Interesting reading - the soundcard/sound system in the new series of Macbook Pro has the best hardware ever on an laptop Apple declare…

https://www.imore.com/new-macbook-pros-built-dac-good-96khz-sample-rate

Comments

• edited October 2021

We need that on the iPads....
    ...bring back the 3.5mm jack for 2022 iPads :sunglasses:

• I'm confused, MBPs have supported 96k for years now. Here's a screenshot of Audio MIDI settings from my 2019 16" MBP:

• edited October 2021

Oh wait, I see the difference, headphones versus speakers.

(edit) nope, even with headphones you can see 96k supported.

• I think that what's really new here is support for high-impedance headphones

• @NoiseFloored said:
    I think that what's really new here is support for high-impedance headphones

That is what’s new…

https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/28/apple-high-impedance-headphones-14-16-inch-macbook-pro/

• @NoiseFloored said:
    I think that what's really new here is support for high-impedance headphones

Yeah, I think that's the main thing. Apple's usually had pretty decent AD/DA in their computers.

Apple put out a support doc on the new output amplifiers, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

• Thanks, that makes more sense and what I was expecting based on the keynote.

• For a while until 2015 the MBP's 3.5mm jack was also an optical output, up to 192khz, but was lost during the port-purging phase. The impedance matching sounds like a good feature.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    For a while until 2015 the MBP's 3.5mm jack was also an optical output, up to 192khz, but was lost during the port-purging phase. The impedance matching sounds like a good feature.

same with the Mac mini. In fact even my old 2009 white MacBook had optical in and out over the jacks.

• This guy in this review talks about the headphone jack in the new MacBooks at 08:09 in the the video

He says the full volume the MacBook Air is 70% volume on the new MacBooks but though its loud the sound quality not great as it gets mushy etc

• I look forward to testing that myself in a couple weeks when I can get my 2021 MBP Max. Historically, Apple has some of the best DACs in any laptop, if not THE best. Heck the little $9 lightening adapter for the iphone outperforms standalone DACs costing $200-300 in fact. Just sold my Dragonfly DACs after looking deeper into this and seeing how much better the Apple ones perform in comparison.

• @higs said:
    This guy in this review talks about the headphone jack in the new MacBooks at 08:09 in the the video

He says the full volume the MacBook Air is 70% volume on the new MacBooks but though its loud the sound quality not great as it gets mushy etc

I don’t know, I used my sennheiser 600 cans with the 16” at the apple store today with no DAC but riding the Apple Music equalizer pretty hard, and they sounded pretty great as long as the preamp slider is kept at a reasonable level. Thought the low freq response was very appealing (to me, subjectively, YMMV, etc). Not muddy at all. The EQ is the key and I’m surprised it played no part in the video review above. Worth looking into at least. I’ll post a shot of the EQ that worked best for me anon.

• @Tarekith said:
    I look forward to testing that myself in a couple weeks when I can get my 2021 MBP Max. Historically, Apple has some of the best DACs in any laptop, if not THE best. Heck the little $9 lightening adapter for the iphone outperforms standalone DACs costing $200-300 in fact. Just sold my Dragonfly DACs after looking deeper into this and seeing how much better the Apple ones perform in comparison.

That’s been my thinking too about apple but thought id forward the vid anyway as that vid is the only one I’ll come across that talks about the jack testing it :)

• @zilld2017 said:

@higs said:
    This guy in this review talks about the headphone jack in the new MacBooks at 08:09 in the the video

I don’t know, I used my sennheiser 600 cans with the 16” at the apple store today with no DAC but riding the Apple Music equalizer pretty hard, and they sounded pretty great as long as the preamp slider is kept at a reasonable level. Thought the low freq response was very appealing (to me, subjectively, YMMV, etc). Not muddy at all. The EQ is the key and I’m surprised it played no part in the video review above. Worth looking into at least. I’ll post a shot of the EQ that worked best for me anon.

Sweet, that’s good to know! Yes post the shot of the EQ. Nice one!

• It’s 4:011am here in the morning here in the uk so its dead silent, Just Listening to some Black Coffee on YouTube & the Volume is set just under a third on the MacBook Pro 16 inch & it’s amazing to me how good it sounds!

• @Samu said:

Yes, please. It’s not “Pro” if it doesn’t have professional-centric ports.

• My not-that-pro Audio Technica AT-M40 headphones sound nice and loud and not at all ‘mushy’ on the new MBP 14. At least to my ageing ears that are far from golden.

The headphone jack is back on the right (left!) side! Every pair of wired headphones I have has the cable on the left and having to plug them in on the right hand side was always a bit annoying, you had to trail the lead behind the screen if it was long enough or it would always get in the way of the keyboard.

The speakers sound pretty great too. They're a huge improvement over the tinny sound of my old 2016 MBP and are much nicer for watching movies on.

The new MacBook Pro has undone 5 years of apple going down the ‘design is what it looks like’ road.

• OT, but the internal speakers in my new 16” Macbook Pro M1 Pro sounds fantastic!

How do they do nowadays, small shitty speakers in many gadgets sounds huge - Sonos Arc/Sonos Sub in our house has ended in an conflict with our neighbors!!

• @Samu said:

I really wish they would. Surely it doesn’t take up that much space.

• edited October 2021

@higs said:

@zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

For context: Tested on Pink Floyd Animals and David Gilmore’s (fantastic) first album. Started with the ROCK EQ in Apple Music. Note the pre-amp boost. Distortion kicked in past this setting…. EDIT: the EQ was On when testing, despite the picture.

• @zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

@zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

For context: Tested on Pink Floyd Animals and David Gilmore’s (fantastic) first album. Started with the ROCK EQ in Apple Music. Note the pre-amp boost. Distortion kicked in past this setting…. EDIT: the EQ was On when testing, despite the picture.

This EQ is totally useless, as you said: it introduces horrible distortion. You need to reduce the frequencies instead of boosting them, there is no headroom.
    Honestly, I prefer having speakers/headphones to my taste than to try to use some software EQ. No EQ will "fix" you bad sounding speakers/headphones. Studio monitors have their own hardware EQ settings, the rest should be adjusted by room treatment.
    Software EQ is really just an emergency solution in special cases, not for everyday use.

• @zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

@zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

@zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

@zilld2017 said:

@higs said:

Great, thanks for that! That’s how i used to set up my EQs on my hi fi’s back in the 80s & 90s! Lol 👍🏽

• The latency in Logic Pro with air pods pro is amazing compared to my old 2016 MBP which was ≈200ms round trip.

On the 14 ‘1 Pro it’s as crazy fast as everything else on this system:

MBP 2016 16" Logic 10.5.1:

MBP 2021 14" Logic 10.7.0:

• Can’t stop to be so fuckin’ inmpressed with my new 16” Macbook Pro M1 Pro!

Unbelievable fast, stable, and, just wonderful!!
    Best spended $3000 the last ten years!!

M1 technology is the future!!

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Can’t stop to be so fuckin’ inmpressed with my new 16” Macbook Pro M1 Pro!

Unbelievable fast, stable, and, just wonderful!!
    Best spended $3000 the last ten years!!

M1 technology is the future!!

It’s quite a marvel indeed! Just got my 16” M1 Pro today — and it was shocking how advanced it is in every way, even more so, considering how far behind the tech curve I’ve lived, never even experiencing HDR before today! The most advanced laptop I’ve used before this, was my 2012 minimum spec MBP — so it’s quite a jump into the future for me.

Loaded up Bitwig and native only plugins, (U/He synths, Fabfilter, Soundtoys, Shaperbox and a few others) and it runs like a dream. Looking forward to Softube and Native instruments Apple silicon support, but it was a pleasant surprise how many plugs have already made the jump to M1.

• @Samu said:

Totally agree we need the 3.5mm back.

• Apple M1’s are fantastic machines, my only criticism would be regarding the lacklustre performance of SSD drives, in comparison to the Intel Macs.

• edited January 2022

@knewspeak said:
    Apple M1’s are fantastic machines, my only criticism would be regarding the lacklustre performance of SSD drives, in comparison to the Intel Macs.

Can any Intel Mac or Windows laptop do better than this?

• @piccolo said:

@knewspeak said:
    Apple M1’s are fantastic machines, my only criticism would be regarding the lacklustre performance of SSD drives, in comparison to the Intel Macs.

Can any Intel Mac or Windows laptop do better than this?

Pretty much no. If you built an M.2 based RAID, maybe. The disk access on the M1 Macs is crazy fast. The overall memory architecture of the M1's really helps here too. It's part of the reason that multi-threaded compiles on the M1 Mac Mini completely blows my Intel based iMac completely away. I have a very fast M.2 drive attached to my iMac over Thunderbolt and a large multi-threaded compile like building LLVM is an order of magnitude faster on the Mini even though my iMac has 24GB of RAM and the Mini only has 8GB.