Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus glitch when reordering efx

Is anyone else getting this when long pressing an effect and changing the order in that channel?
Thanks!

Comments

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Is anyone else getting this when long pressing an effect and changing the order in that channel?
    Thanks!

Actually, no. What is your iOS version? What do you mean by "glitch"? If it's just an interruption in the audio, I'd expect that, since there'll be a break in the buffers sent to the various AUv3.

• Not an interruption, stays until an app is removed or all apps closed.
    Sometimes just adding an app also causes this.
    AB has been very unstable for me for a long time now.
    I’ve tried all the usual tricks, reboots, backing up and deleting/reinstalling. Nothing works so far.
    Also get large dsp spikes that don’t occur with identical setups in AUM…
    Gutted as it’s an essential app for me.
    iOS 14.8.1
    iPhone 8 Plus

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Not an interruption, stays until an app is removed or all apps closed.
    Sometimes just adding an app also causes this.
    AB has been very unstable for me for a long time now.
    I’ve tried all the usual tricks, reboots, backing up and deleting/reinstalling. Nothing works so far.
    Also get large dsp spikes that don’t occur with identical setups in AUM…
    Gutted as it’s an essential app for me.
    iOS 14.8.1
    iPhone 8 Plus

Can you post a screen recording or recordings of the issues?

• There are no settings activated in vcf. It’s on the startup patch when you first open. Nothing overloading in mixer section.
    This happens with a variety of causes…changing project, adding an app, moving an app…
    Often predictable, sometimes not..

• I’ve mentioned dsp spikes, also not always saving tempos.

• @Zerozerozero said:

There are no settings activated in vcf. It’s on the startup patch when you first open. Nothing overloading in mixer section.
    This happens with a variety of causes…changing project, adding an app, moving an app…
    Often predictable, sometimes not..

Maybe making configuration changes (changing project, adding an app, moving an app) while AB is playing is not a good idea. Does pausing play to make changes help? Adjusting parameters live should be ok, but changing the configuration is a step too far.

• Sorry, should’ve said it happens if it’s not playing as well. Just showed it playing to demonstrate the noise.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

You’re not using Bluetooth for audio by any chance are you? Also, what are your buffer settings?

• No, no Bluetooth.

• Ouch, never heard that before. Is your storage maxed out maybe. Like @wim said… buffer?

• I’ve used 35 of 64GB.
    All apps are set at 1024 and 48.
    Should storage be kept lower?

• I'll have to look into this post-Loopy Pro launch, I'm afraid – racing against the clock right now. But I've added investigating this to my todo list.

• Thanks @Michael
    Understand you’re busy at moment.
    If there’s anything that can be done it would be hugely appreciated 🙏🏻

• @Zerozerozero : does it matter which two effects are involved?

• I don’t think so. I half convinced myself that some devs apps caused it more than others but there was too many variables for me to narrow it down.
    Audiobus would also not remember the tempo (I think adopting the tempo of the last project open sometimes) and not be able to load AUM sessions saved in the project. Generally a bit flaky.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    I don’t think so. I half convinced myself that some devs apps caused it more than others but there was too many variables for me to narrow it down.
    Audiobus would also not remember the tempo (I think adopting the tempo of the last project open sometimes) and not be able to load AUM sessions saved in the project. Generally a bit flaky.

This sounds like atypical behavior. You have an session that doesn't open properly, Michael would probably need a copy of the session to diagnose it.

For any of these problems, if you could document steps, they could be investigated.

• @Michael
    Do you have any time to look at a few projects if I send them? Is the best way through the app itself?
    @espiegel123
    I’ll try to get a few more videos together of the various behaviours
    Cheers!

• Wow! Nice zombie thread resurrection - and still relevant!

Sure, send them over. I’ll probably have to buy whatever apps you’re using, so if you can reproduce the issue with a minimal setup, that’d be best to save me some cash.

You can email em to [email protected]

• wimwim
    edited October 2022

@Zerozerozero said:
    Audiobus would also not remember the tempo (I think adopting the tempo of the last project open sometimes) ...

That could have been caused by Ableton Link in a standalone app or another device overriding the tempo. I've seen that happen before.

• Ah ok, I don’t really know what Ableton link does other than a vague notion of keeping apps in time. Think it’s generally on in all apps but I could investigate. Thanks

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Ah ok, I don’t really know what Ableton link does other than a vague notion of keeping apps in time. Think it’s generally on in all apps but I could investigate. Thanks

Link keeps apps synchronized together, even between different devices. Any app (even one on another device) can hijack the tempo. Some apps will update the Link tempo if they open and have a different tempo than the current Link tempo. Others will follow the Link tempo regardless of their own tempo. Others will prompt for what to do.

Generally this shouldn't be a problem if you use mostly AUv3 apps. As soon as you have IAA/Standalone apps involved, it can be something you need to pay attention to.

I once had the devil of a time figuring out why my tempo kept resetting in apps on my iPad. It turned out that I was messing around for a bit with Ableton Live on a Windows PC. I totally forgot that I had left it running. Link on the PC was setting the tempo of my iOS sessions.

• Thanks @wim
    I use Xequence and the occasional IAA so will try to keep an eye out. 👍🏻