Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event confirmed for October the 18th : New MacBook Pros?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

Cue the "Logic is coming for iPad!!!!!" crowd! :D

• Probably Logic Pro update will be announced since Dolby Atmos is one of Apple’s marketing priorities at the moment.

Spectrasonics is teasing a “big announcements” for the following day…so they could be in on whatever Apple is cooking up

• i'll be grabbing one. my current one cant keep up with my sessions lately.

• If they will remove the TouchBar I will be very 😡. I actually find the TouchBar excellent for music related things, especially combined with things like the midi Touch Bar software. But since they also left the brilliant 3D Touch behind I fear it is possible. That would be 2 steps back for me. Then I will try to use my current MacBook Pro M1 for the next 10 years. Oh Apple, DO NOT TOUCH my TouchBar!

• @wim said:

Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

• @Clueless said:
    If they will remove the TouchBar I will be very 😡. I actually find the TouchBar excellent for music related things, especially combined with things like the midi Touch Bar software. But since they also left the brilliant 3D Touch behind I fear it is possible. That would be 2 steps back for me. Then I will try to use my current MacBook Pro M1 for the next 10 years. Oh Apple, DO NOT TOUCH my TouchBar!

There's a real split of opinions on the Touch Bar. Many people love it, but just as many hate it and find it gets in the way.

• Another perfect time to appreciate the "Apple-press" websites, which are the worst crap in existence. Just a few days ago, some of them were all confident about how the next event will have to be held on [insert any wrong date here] and now they just casually switched to how 18th is the perfect choice, without missing a beat. Current focus: what Apple will absolutely, surely announce. Then, starting the day after the event: why Apple did not announce most of what we were so sure of just yesterday, and how that fact should make the readers click on our ads and shopping links. Excellent journalism.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

So would Megan Fox inviting me to spend a weekend Fiji with her. Both are about as likely to happen.

• @wim said:

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

So would Megan Fox inviting me to spend a weekend Fiji with her. Both are about as likely to happen.

As long as she dumps "Machine Gun Kelly" first...

And apropos of nothing, I just saw her in her movie called "Jennifer's Body", which was actually really good. I was impressed with Megan Fox playing against her public persona in that movie. I recommend it (even though it is very bloody and violent).

• @NeuM said:

@Clueless said:
    If they will remove the TouchBar I will be very 😡. I actually find the TouchBar excellent for music related things, especially combined with things like the midi Touch Bar software. But since they also left the brilliant 3D Touch behind I fear it is possible. That would be 2 steps back for me. Then I will try to use my current MacBook Pro M1 for the next 10 years. Oh Apple, DO NOT TOUCH my TouchBar!

There's a real split of opinions on the Touch Bar. Many people love it, but just as many hate it and find it gets in the way.

Might be true. People which hates it might be the usual prosumer which cannot imagine to use it for such creative tasks or maybe not :)
    Best would be simple an option to buy it or not. I always would like to use it. Together with thin gs like the AudioSwift app for the trackpad (which gives you MPE options) it almost replaced all my midi controllers. But yes, that is just me. I even do not use a midi keyboard (or my Seaboard Rise) that often and just play everything via the computer keyboard.
    One laptop is all I need mostly these days but removing the TouchBar would be a "no buy" for me in the future. But then i am a Logic guy and so there is no other option.
    Maybe they surprise and there is even a TouchBar 2.0 (but I doubt it).

• @ervin said:
    Another perfect time to appreciate the "Apple-press" websites, which are the worst crap in existence. Just a few days ago, some of them were all confident about how the next event will have to be held on [insert any wrong date here] and now they just casually switched to how 18th is the perfect choice, without missing a beat. Current focus: what Apple will absolutely, surely announce. Then, starting the day after the event: why Apple did not announce most of what we were so sure of just yesterday, and how that fact should make the readers click on our ads and shopping links. Excellent journalism.

these sites and bloggers are always full of s**t 🤣🤣 always believing in “leaks” when it’s clear Apple is moving the strings.
    So sorry for those who fall for it, including my self at one point.

• A new Mac Mini is the most likely for my shopping list, but I’m interested in any advancedments to the M series processor.

• I don’t mind my touch bar on my lockdown MBP i9, but it inevitably needs several touches to respond – if I touch something quickly, like the ‘go to the volume adjustment further procedure’ icon, or an okay button, for example, it ignores it until I touch it a few more times even more definitely. It’s not like an ipad touch screen, which works first time almost every time except when it doesn’t.

• edited October 2021

@u0421793 said:
    I don’t mind my touch bar on my lockdown MBP i9, but it inevitably needs several touches to respond – if I touch something quickly, like the ‘go to the volume adjustment further procedure’ icon, or an okay button, for example, it ignores it until I touch it a few more times even more definitely. It’s not like an ipad touch screen, which works first time almost every time except when it doesn’t.

I do not have any trouble like this on my M1 MacBookPro. Of course iPhones and iPads are still the way better multi-touch tools in general.
    But it is still so useful for simple things like scrolling trough you-tube videos, Logic Pro or whatever.
    Of course the right third party software really makes it even better.
    If the leave it like 3D-touch it will all get lost in the coming years.
    A reason I still stay with my iPhone 6S plus as long as I can.
    Oh and at least I hope they never ever going to leave that headphone jack on MacBooks.

• edited October 2021

I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been wanting a good replacement for my 2016 MBP with Touch Bar ever since I got it.

I much preferred my previous MacBook Pro which I think was 2009, a 17” behemoth but it was fantastic. I think my current MacBook Pro is my least favourite Mac I’ve ever owned*. And I’ve been using macs for a very, very long time.

I don’t really care what the chips they put in it is called, it’s going to be great. The M1 powered macs are probably going to be the least powerful M series macs ever and they’re already pretty damn great. Add in what’s missing for macs such as more memory bandwidth (16 just isn’t enough for a high end MBP) and being able to drive more than one display, stick loads of GPU cores and it will fly.

Hopefully they will also sort out the hardware. I am optimistic that they will.

I don’t think I’ll be able to get one for work for a while, but it’s been a long time since any Mac book pro has been exciting. I’m looking forward to actually wanting a new one :-)

* *my MBP has had a very annoying graphical/screen glitch for the last few years. It started just after my warranty expired. Also the keyboard is horribly unreliable. And the lack of any port other than USB%C continues to be annoying.

• @jonmoore said:
    A new Mac Mini is the most likely for my shopping list, but I’m interested in any advancedments to the M series processor.

Me, too. My pimped-up 2012 Mini is begging for at least partial retirement, and in fairness, soldiering on for 9 years has indeed been quite a contribution. :)

I'm a bit concerned about some of my fav sw vendors still not fully supporting M1/Big Sur, and I saw mixed reviews of the current Mini for music production (with Logic + 3rd party plugins), so I have passed up on the 16GB/1TB M1 version, but I'm hoping there'll be a new one announced on Monday. 🤷

• M1 Air has been rock solid for most things I throw at it. From VCV to other resource heavy apps, really only Native Instruments has lagged behind for compatibility. Everything else runs fine via Rosetta. Using native means using AUs only and I use VSTs so I can send projects to my windows desktop.

• @ervin My interest in a new Mini is strictly as a secondary machine, and mainly for productivity stuff rather than music. But with anything M related and music, I think you have to use it for what it's good at rather than getting annoyed at its failings. I purchased a gen 1 M1 Mini strictly for running GForce's OB-E which is macOS only, and optimised for the M1 (one of the first plugins to do so). So to be completely accurate my new Mini will be for music and last years model will be for productivity apps and suchlike. One can never have too many Mac Mini's :)

This is the synth I'm talking about.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-e/

For my ears, it's the best Oberheim emulation in existence and the M1 makes it possible to do something that would be nigh impossible apart from for those with bottomless pockets. It allows one to run 8 Oberheim SEM's together as an 8-voice polysynth. Arturia's SEM emulation is good but the GForce emulation is incredible.

This video is an ace example of why I purchased an M1 Mac Mini just so I could purchase the macOS only OB-E!

• @auxmux said:
    M1 Air has been rock solid for most things I throw at it. From VCV to other resource heavy apps, really only Native Instruments has lagged behind for compatibility. Everything else runs fine via Rosetta. Using native means using AUs only and I use VSTs so I can send projects to my windows desktop.

So I gather you're not using either NI stuff or Logic. More power to you, but unfortunately that's my basic setup. 😕

@jonmoore said:
    My interest in a new Mini is strictly as a secondary machine

Out of interest, what's your primary machine for music making?

• @ervin said:

@auxmux said:
    M1 Air has been rock solid for most things I throw at it. From VCV to other resource heavy apps, really only Native Instruments has lagged behind for compatibility. Everything else runs fine via Rosetta. Using native means using AUs only and I use VSTs so I can send projects to my windows desktop.

So I gather you're not using either NI stuff or Logic. More power to you, but unfortunately that's my basic setup. 😕

@jonmoore said:
    My interest in a new Mini is strictly as a secondary machine

Yeah, I use Native Instruments on my window machine. Logic is the only DAW I can't get on with.

• @ervin said:

I run a network synced via Vierra Ensemble Pro.

My main workstation is a custom build with a 32 thread AMD processor with 64Gb RAM and a pair of Nvidia 3090's (I do a lot of 3d stuff as well as music). This is networked to last years M1 Mini and my old 32 thread workstation (that one uses dual XEON processors but is overall roughly 60% of custom build in terms of performance), it also has 64Gb RAM and a pair of Nvidia 1080p's (still going strong). To complete the setup, I use Studiomux to stream audio between my IOS devices and my main workstation.

I've yet to reach a performance bottleneck with the setup. And I often have huge track counts, especially for remix stuff.

I used to be Apple only but their lack of support for Nvidia devices made me look for alternatives. I dual boot my main workstation with both Linux and Windows 10 Professional (Linux is mainly used for 3d Rendering as Linux runs render jobs significantly faster than macOS or Windows 10. The main thing I miss from macOS is the productivity apps that sync with iOS devices (Omnigroup stuff and suchlike). Hence my interest in Mac Mini's. I access all my networked hardware via RealVNC and still do all my office/productivity tasks via the Mac Mini. I have a MacBook Pro too and I'm in the market for a new one, but I'm thinking of skipping this MBP generation, so if I buy any new mobile Mac kit in the next 6 months, it's more likely to be the new Air.

• @jonmoore said:

@ervin said:

My main workstation is a custom build with a 32 thread AMD processor with 64Gb RAM and a pair of Nvidia 3090's (I do a lot of 3d stuff as well as music). This is networked to last years M1 Mini and my old 32 thread workstation (that one uses dual XEON processors but is overall roughly 60% of custom build in terms of performance), it also has 64Gb RAM and a pair of Nvidia 1080p's (still going strong). To complete the setup, I use Studiomux to stream audio between my IOS devices and my main workstation.

I've yet to reach a performance bottleneck with the setup. And I often have huge track counts, especially for remix stuff.

I used to be Apple only but their lack of support for Nvidia devices made me look for alternatives. I dual boot my main workstation with both Linux and Windows 10 Professional (Linux is mainly used for 3d Rendering as Linux runs render jobs significantly faster than macOS or Windows 10. The main thing I miss from macOS is the productivity apps that sync with iOS devices (Omnigroup stuff and suchlike). Hence my interest in Mac Mini's. I access all my networked hardware via RealVNC and still do all my office/productivity tasks via the Mac Mini. I have a MacBook Pro too and I'm in the market for a new one, but I'm thinking of skipping this MBP generation, so if I buy any new mobile Mac kit in the next 6 months, it's more likely to be the new Air.

Very very interesting!

• @jonmoore said:
    @ervin My interest in a new Mini is strictly as a secondary machine, and mainly for productivity stuff rather than music. But with anything M related and music, I think you have to use it for what it's good at rather than getting annoyed at its failings. I purchased a gen 1 M1 Mini strictly for running GForce's OB-E which is macOS only, and optimised for the M1 (one of the first plugins to do so). So to be completely accurate my new Mini will be for music and last years model will be for productivity apps and suchlike. One can never have too many Mac Mini's :)

This is the synth I'm talking about.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-e/

For my ears, it's the best Oberheim emulation in existence and the M1 makes it possible to do something that would be nigh impossible apart from for those with bottomless pockets. It allows one to run 8 Oberheim SEM's together as an 8-voice polysynth. Arturia's SEM emulation is good but the GForce emulation is incredible.

This video is an ace example of why I purchased an M1 Mac Mini just so I could purchase the macOS only OB-E!

>

Nice performance!

• @wim said:

I used to be a believer, but no longer. They really tipped their hand at wwdc. I’d say at least a few years away.

• @ion677 said:

@wim said:

I used to be a believer, but no longer. They really tipped their hand at wwdc. I’d say at least a few years away.

I doubt they’d release Logic on an OS that only recognizes a single h/w audio interface - depending on which one is turned on last

• Will be interesting to see if Logic Pro gets a big update if they are really announcing new M1x MBPs and iMacs, that would be a prime time to a big update to a Pro app of theirs. Ditto FCP.

Definitely looking forward to getting a new M1 based MBP though, that will nice. Not sure I care too much about the Touchbar being there or not, I rarely use it myself. Like u0421793 it's not that sensitive for me so I end up just not bothering most of the time.

• @jonmoore said:

@ervin said:

Thank you.

• @Tarekith said:
    Not sure I care too much about the Touchbar being there or not, I rarely use it myself. Like u0421793 it's not that sensitive for me so I end up just not bothering most of the time.

I hate it, and find it to be an annoying, dominant gimmick.

Just basic stuff, like changing the volume requires that you look at it, tap on the icon, wait a second and then tap at it again (since it didn't respond) and then it's sliding around on glass, and then you have to hit an 'x' icon to go back. Way too many steps for volume up/down, screen brightness up/down etc. You have to look at what you're doing, too. Muscle memory abhors a touchbar.

Perhaps they might make it an option, rather than a default, or develop a peripheral one. Could be a sweet ribbon controller. I don't want @Clueless to be unhappy but it is not for everybody.

• The main trouble with the Touch Bar is that it's in the wrong place. It's neither tactile enough to use as a keyboard or on the right plane for a screen. Whatever you do you have to take your eyes of the main screen to see what the Touch Bar is displaying.

Most of the time it's just plain annoying as I still find I hit it accidentally when typing. And I've had it for 5 years now ;-/

The only app I've used that uses it extensively is Logic and it's always on the wrong screen. By the time you tap through to the screen I want I could have done the same thing 20 times with a keyboard shortcut or the trackpad.

Also, one thing I would want from it doesn't work; You can't use the Logic touch bar keyboard to enter notes for step recording. If you open the step recording palette, it changes to the transport controls and you can't change it back.

Mine also has the extra annoying escape 'key'. I know they fixed that in later models, but god is it a pain. I never look at the keyboard when typing and can never find the escape key first time. I hat having to look for it.

And as others have said, volume and brightness and the other basic function keys functions are far better and simpler with real keys.

Apart from that it's OK. :-)

I won't miss the Touch Bar if they get shot of it.

• edited October 2021

I understand that people do not like Touch Bar and indeed sometimes a short cut is better. So yes, an option for people like me which really loves it would be the best and a non-touch bar option for the others.
    I just love it for writing automations and use it with midi Touch Bar where I can use it as a multi-touch controller as well for dynamic changes which I can record and so on. Its simple for me that it replaces 2 hardware tools I do not need anymore. Removing it for me would just be even worse than the 3D-touch lost which also got not much love out there since most people beside the music creation crowd still do not have a clue what it actually was capable of.
    In my dreams I always wanted a MacBook Pro where these large trackpads are actually full blown multi-touch screens or that the Touch Bar would be even at least twice the size (they already made it smaller due to the physical ESC came back).
    On a 16" there would be enough place for both maybe.
    But now that I really love and want it, I am almost sure they will remove it and put all their energy in new annoying ways to always watch your body and health which seems to set people more under stress than anything else 😁