Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Support a dev - monthly nominations

rudrud
edited October 2021 in General App Discussion

This forum has given me an enormous amount since I joined and so have many of the apps I have purchased. I believe this is the same for many of us.
With this in mind I thought it might be a nice idea to support a different developer each month. How would members feel about the idea of making an effort to buy an app from a nominated dev? Give them some unexpected income and love in the hope that they can continue to create?
I love our host, Michael, ERik Sigh, Igor Vasiliev, Rob Jackson and more but I’d be happy to be introduced to other developers and happily make a purchase if the members here felt strongly enough to sing their praises and nominate them. Who knows how it might expand our creativity and open us up to other approaches?
What do you reckon, anyone up for it?

Comments

• I think it’s a great idea, but can’t always guarantee participation due to finances and device space. Maybe you could run a monthly poll, and we could vote on developer of the month or something, just a thought.

• I nominate Jim Pavloff

• I’m pretty sure I own everything already. I swear to god if the iOS music production bubble bursts now.

• If only Matt from BlipInterative would accept financial support to get audio tracks done in Nanostudio 2.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If only Matt from BlipInterative would accept financial support to get audio tracks done in Nanostudio 2.

☝️ And it's not for lack of offering it

• @ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If only Matt from BlipInterative would accept financial support to get audio tracks done in Nanostudio 2.

Precisely. I'd even pay a dreaded subscription just to get NS2 some audiotracks and ongoing support. 🤣

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Precisely. I'd even pay a dreaded subscription just to get NS2 some audiotracks and ongoing support. 🤣

Yep - me too and I don’t actually need audiotracks as for me my audio needs are more than adequately covered in NS2 by Slate, Obsidian sampler oscillators, AudioLayer, MTR and now Neon & Koala auv3s 👍

• I nominate Alessandro Petrolati

• edited October 2021

@attakk said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Yep - me too and I don’t actually need audiotracks as for me my audio needs are more than adequately covered in NS2 by Slate, Obsidian sampler oscillators, AudioLayer, MTR and now Neon & Koala auv3s 👍

Slate and Obsidian, oh yeah. I've produced full vocal tracks in NS2 before (with the help of other apps to record the vocals, clean 'em up, etc). It's easy to do. I'd just prefer to work fully in NS2 rather than bounce around between apps.

• @ElkwoodDarrow said:
    I’m pretty sure I own everything already. I swear to god if the iOS music production bubble bursts now.

Lol.

• @rud
    Good idear.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@attakk said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Slate and Obsidian, oh yeah. I've produced full vocal tracks in NS2 before (with the help of other apps to record the vocals, clean 'em up, etc). It's easy to do. I'd just prefer to work fully in NS2 rather than bounce around between apps.

BTW, did Matt say why he is not interested in getting support? I did not follow the entire thread over at the NS forum, but it seemed to me that he first explained how this was not a sustainable business model, and when a lot of people offered money and actively asked for a chance to support him and/or further development, he fell silent. Did I miss some reaction from him? I mean he may totally have valid reasons for not wanting to be paid this way, and it's obviously his call in any case, but it seemed strange after he brought up the financial aspect.

• @ervin said:
    I mean he may totally have valid reasons for not wanting to be paid this way

Might it break Apple's rules for app payments? You might have to do all payments through the App Store...?

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:

Might it break Apple's rules for app payments? You might have to do all payments through the App Store...?

If you had a link in the app to an external site where people could donate, I think you'd be in violation of Apple's no steering clause and you'd probably get your account pulled if they noticed. If you didn't have a link to a site I think it would be harder for Apple to justify pulling your account but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't.

I have had a couple of app rejections where the wording of the rejection and the clause they gave as the reason made me think they rejected the update because they thought I was making money off the app some other way and I think they based that purely on the reason that the app was free.

If I were making a living off of my apps on the App Store, I wouldn't risk taking money from other paths. I wouldn't even do it now without making any money on the App Store because if they decided that I was in violation of some clause or other and pulled my apps I would have no real path of appeal and anyone that used my apps would be impacted.

• Why limit it to devs?
    Rather nominate someone like Gavinski for all the time and energy he put into his vids and getting pennies in return.
    Or espiegle123, wim, or _ki for their endless Mozaic support (I’m about to post some real boneheaded questions soon btw)
    Or what about the devs that made apps that you want updated that haven’t in years. Names forgo me right now, but like the former dev of BM3 so we can finally get that sampler as a stand alone…..or throw some loot to get modstep2 kickstarted.

• …..and for purely selfish reasons, I’d be throwing money at mekohler for a MD version of Collider
    ( @mekohler, we spoke very briefly in the past, with the renewed frenzy of Justin’s work (and his imminent release of his MCLmk2), it might be time to reconsider )

• @ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@attakk said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

BTW, did Matt say why he is not interested in getting support? I did not follow the entire thread over at the NS forum, but it seemed to me that he first explained how this was not a sustainable business model, and when a lot of people offered money and actively asked for a chance to support him and/or further development, he fell silent. Did I miss some reaction from him? I mean he may totally have valid reasons for not wanting to be paid this way, and it's obviously his call in any case, but it seemed strange after he brought up the financial aspect.

Probably just pesky old math. blech.

• edited October 2021

I nominate @4pockets_paul .
    Reason :
    Stable Apps.
    Takes into consideration user requests and is quick to implement features when he feels they are necessary .
    Quick to debug and release Fixes.

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:

YouTube Premium, Netflix? In any case though, a gofundme runs for development or ailment asking those lines was also> @NeonSilicon said:

@Simon said:

@ervin said:

If you had a link in the app to an external site where people could donate, I think you'd be in violation of Apple's no steering clause and you'd probably get your account pulled if they noticed. If you didn't have a link to a site I think it would be harder for Apple to justify pulling your account but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't.

I have had a couple of app rejections where the wording of the rejection and the clause they gave as the reason made me think they rejected the update because they thought I was making money off the app some other way and I think they based that purely on the reason that the app was free.

If I were making a living off of my apps on the App Store, I wouldn't risk taking money from other paths. I wouldn't even do it now without making any money on the App Store because if they decided that I was in violation of some clause or other and pulled my apps I would have no real path of appeal and anyone that used my apps would be impacted.

Wow. Thank you for the explanation. 🙏

Apparently, it's a creepy world in Appleland, where a product may die because Apple would not let satisfied and devoted customers support an indie dev in further developing a product that has been, and would be, sold exclusively in the Apple store, making more money for Apple in the process.

But hey, at least we have ios 15 now, with "widgets" that make your homescreen look like a home-made android skin from 2009, so at least there's something to look forward to. 🤷

• @ervin said:

@Simon said:

@ervin said:

YouTube Premium, Netflix? In any case though, a gofundme runs for development or ailment asking those lines was also

There are different rules for subscriptions to streaming and other external content, but even there you have to be careful about how you point users to the subscriptions.

I don't think Apple would or could do anything about a gofundme type thing that isn't linked to inside the application.

@NeonSilicon said:

@Simon said:

@ervin said:

Wow. Thank you for the explanation. 🙏

Apparently, it's a creepy world in Appleland, where a product may die because Apple would not let satisfied and devoted customers support an indie dev in further developing a product that has been, and would be, sold exclusively in the Apple store, making more money for Apple in the process.

But hey, at least we have ios 15 now, with "widgets" that make your homescreen look like a home-made android skin from 2009, so at least there's something to look forward to. 🤷

To clarify first, I don't think the original proposal has any potential issues with causing any dev any issues since the support would be through the app store and purchasing there.

As far as the App Store goes, there isn't really any alternative path if you want to do much in the mobile world. Apple's focus certainly doesn't seem to be where I'd like it to be, but if I'm going to develop for iOS I do have to agree to their rules. I do hope that Apple changes path soon or maybe that Google surprises me and finally does get Fuchsia out and it doesn't suck.

• @ervin said:
    YouTube Premium, Netflix?

One would suspect that Apple cut specific deals with large companies like the ones you mentioned.

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:
    YouTube Premium, Netflix?

One would suspect that Apple cut specific deals with large companies like the ones you mentioned.

Apple claims to have no special deals with anyone in this area. The rules do allow what Netflix does for anyone. Smaller places probably have a harder time getting traction on their own site though. Netflix has huge numbers of customers that are signed up outside of the Apple App Store already so they don't really need to steer customers to their site for payment.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's also a question of whether any given dev needs financial support. Some might be doing extremely well from their day jobs etc, or even from their app sales, others may be really struggling and in need of support.

• edited October 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    Apple claims to have no special deals with anyone in this area.

Well, that must be true then. :wink: