Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Disable AUM asking about tempo change

edited October 2021 in App Tips and Tricks

Is there a way to disable AUM’s pop up asking whether to keep current or change to Link tempo?

If not how do people deal with this when loading several sessions one after another?

Comments

• @supadom said:
    Is there a way to disable AUM’s pop up asking whether to keep current or change to Link tempo?

Currently not. If playing with others (which Link is mostly about) it's nice to be able to think about wether you want to change everyones tempo or not.

If not how do people deal with this when loading several sessions one after another?

Not sure what you mean? You just answer yes or no in the popup :)

• If not how do people deal with this when loading several sessions one after another?

If I'm not totally mistaken it's about changing a session remotely without touching the iPad...

• edited October 2021

@Samu said:

If I'm not totally mistaken it's about changing a session remotely without touching the iPad...

Exactly. If I load a session remotely and want to start playing I need to tap the pop up first. Any chance for a ‘follow link on load’ option in the settings?

• Another thing that puzzles me @j_liljedahl is that when I create a session load action it does not load when I open AUM with no session loaded.

How would the session loading work in a live situation? Does the next session loading action get saved with the previous session data? Sorry, I’m finding it a bit confusing.

In Audiobus it works when I first open the app. I open Audiobus, press a button on a controller and the session loads.

It seems unnecessarily convoluted in AUM, unless I’m missing something?

• @supadom said:
    Another thing that puzzles me @j_liljedahl is that when I create a session load action it does not load when I open AUM with no session loaded.

How would the session loading work in a live situation? Does the next session loading action get saved with the previous session data? Sorry, I’m finding it a bit confusing.

In Audiobus it works when I first open the app. I open Audiobus, press a button on a controller and the session loads.

The session load actions are saved globally, not in the session state. The problem probably is that when you start AUM fresh, you have nothing connected to the "AUM Midi Control" endpoint, so it's not receiving anything. After that, any connection to it should stay because that endpoint is internally marked as "sticky". A simple solution would be to have a clean session that only contains the connection from your specific midi controller to the midi control endpoint, to have something that responds for the first the session load action.

• edited October 2021

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Exactly. If I load a session remotely and want to start playing I need to tap the pop up first. Any chance for a ‘follow link on load’ option in the settings?

Right, I see. So an option if the load session actions should keep current link tempo, yes/no/ask?
    But I'm a bit surprised that you need to answer the popup in this case, according to my code it should always override the current link tempo when loading a session via midi control.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Right, I see. So an option if the load session actions should keep current link tempo, yes/no/ask?
    But I'm a bit surprised that you need to answer the popup in this case, according to my code it should always override the current link tempo when loading a session via midi control.

I just checked, and tried it myself, and as I said it always overrides the current Link tempo when loading a session via MIDI control, so you won't see the popup asking about tempo change in this case. So as long as you're OK with it always overriding current tempo in this case, I believe problem is solved?

• edited October 2021

@j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

I just checked, and tried it myself, and as I said it always overrides the current Link tempo when loading a session via MIDI control, so you won't see the popup asking about tempo change in this case. So as long as you're OK with it always overriding current tempo in this case, I believe problem is solved?

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to test it myself yet but if that’s the case then yes, thanks for checking! ;)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:
    Another thing that puzzles me @j_liljedahl is that when I create a session load action it does not load when I open AUM with no session loaded.

The session load actions are saved globally, not in the session state. The problem probably is that when you start AUM fresh, you have nothing connected to the "AUM Midi Control" endpoint, so it's not receiving anything. After that, any connection to it should stay because that endpoint is internally marked as "sticky". A simple solution would be to have a clean session that only contains the connection from your specific midi controller to the midi control endpoint, to have something that responds for the first the session load action.

I’ve started AUM with all the controllers connected but midi controller connections are not retained.

To check I started Aum with controllers connected, tapped midi cntrl and ticked all the relevant controllers. When restarted Aum would not show any active connections. Once set up AUM will load sessions but not from fresh.

• @supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

I’ve started AUM with all the controllers connected but midi controller connections are not retained.

To check I started Aum with controllers connected, tapped midi cntrl and ticked all the relevant controllers. When restarted Aum would not show any active connections. Once set up AUM will load sessions but not from fresh.

That's consistent with what he said. Connections are saved with the session. AUM loads with no session. To do what you want you'd need to make the connections on an empty session, save that session, then load that session after AUM loads.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@supadom - opening a session from the files app starts AUM and loads that session automatically. Sessions can be found in Files > on My Device > AUM > Sessions.

There's probably some way to make a Home Screen shortcut to load your starter session.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@supadom - Not perfect, but using the Shortcuts app you can place an icon on the Home Screen to load your startup session.

• Set up your startup session in AUM, making all connections, and saving it with a name like _Startup or something.
    • Navigate to /AUM in the files app and find the session you saved. Long-press it and select copy.
    • Navigate to iCloud Drive > Shortcuts in the files app, then long-press in the file list area and select paste. This will place a copy of the file in the Shortcuts folder. Unfortunately it must be in this folder to be able to open without navigating through files.
    • Open the shortcuts app and select Add New Shortcut
    • In the Search for apps and actions box type "file".
    • Add a Get File action. Turn off Show Document Picker. Type the name of your saved session with .aumproj as the extension (Example: _Startup.aumproj)
    • Test with the Play button at the top-right.
    • If all is well then Tap the three-dots icon at the top, name the shortcut, and tap Add to Home Screen.

The catches are:

• I don't like it when things are stored in iCloud if I might need to rely on them offline. No biggie there as it's easy enough just to load a session in AUM if the shortcut fails.
    • Every time you make changes to the AUM startup session you'll need to re-copy it into the Shortcuts folder.
  • @j_liljedahl - being able to specify an optional auto-load session for AUM would be really useful.

• @wim said:
    @j_liljedahl - being able to specify an optional auto-load session for AUM would be really useful.

Yeah, I'm planning to add a new button beneath the "restore last state" button that loads a custom default session (if you save a session named Default).

• Any chance I have the tempo jump when in sync when I load a session containing Gestrument pro?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:
    @j_liljedahl - being able to specify an optional auto-load session for AUM would be really useful.

Yeah, I'm planning to add a new button beneath the "restore last state" button that loads a custom default session (if you save a session named Default).

Any reason why not burry somewhere in settings an option to load that default session on startup instead of needing to press that button?

• @supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Any reason why not burry somewhere in settings an option to load that default session on startup instead of needing to press that button?

Yes. Because if that session has some problem, then there would be no way to launch AUM fresh.
    Doing it this way only needs one tap from the main screen so it will be a huge time saver compared to digging into the FILES menu and finding your default session there.

• edited October 2021

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Yes. Because if that session has some problem, then there would be no way to launch AUM fresh.
    Doing it this way only needs one tap from the main screen so it will be a huge time saver compared to digging into the FILES menu and finding your default session there.

ok. I agree on this. I once had ableton refuse to start because the default session I had created had a vst that would crash to desktop on windows. it's been years since this has been an issue but it was a real pain to fix since I basically had to reinstall ableton back then. I'm glad you've actually thought about this issue @j_liljedahl. I would definitely love a load alternate default session button though :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

ok. I agree on this. I once had ableton refuse to start because the default session I had created had a vst that would crash to desktop on windows. it's been years since this has been an issue but it was a real pain to fix since I basically had to reinstall ableton back then. I'm glad you've actually thought about this issue @j_liljedahl. I would definitely love a load alternate default session button though :D

This can be avoided by software opening as blank slate if an error occurs a specified number of times.

The point of a default session loading automatically so it doesn’t require user input as the word auto implies.

Saving a preferred default session to load on start up would only require menu diving just when setting up. After that the default session would load automatically so pressing that button is definitely an extra ;) @j_liljedahl

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

One idea is that instead of a Default session file, you can create a folder named "Default" which will then open a list of all sessions stored in that folder.

• @supadom said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

This can be avoided by software opening as blank slate if an error occurs a specified number of times.

The point of a default session loading automatically so it doesn’t require user input as the word auto implies.

Saving a preferred default session to load on start up would only require menu diving just when setting up. After that the default session would load automatically so pressing that button is definitely an extra ;) @j_liljedahl

Yes, one single tap. I think you'll handle it :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Just a suggestion. You can add a "Don't open anything" option to the app Settings. That allows recovery from a broken auto-load file. GoodReader, for example, has this.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

The reason I’m asking is not because I’m too lazy to tap the screen but because AUM doesn’t remember the connected controllers so I cannot fully control it remotely.

Thanks @wim for your shortcuts suggestion. I’ll check it out.

• @supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

The reason I’m asking is not because I’m too lazy to tap the screen but because AUM doesn’t remember the connected controllers so I cannot fully control it remotely.

If you make the connection and save it in the default session, it would be one tap to get there. But maybe it would make sense to also keep any connection to ”MIDI Control” even between app relaunches? Or could that be confusing?