Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom Roll2 - Select All for Longer Clip

Hi,
I have a 29 bar clip in Atom Roll 2. I want to select all the MIDI notes. I tried "fit" to get them all on the screen, but even with my 12" iPad Pro.....I can see them all.

Suggestion to vendor: In MIDI note edit mode, perhaps use of CMD+C, CMD+V, CMD+A would be helpful. Many folks are used to these shortcut keys.

There is a select tool (looks a bit like crop tool in photoshop); but you can only drag around what's visible. I don't see a way to "add" a new selection to an existing selection, when you can't see everything on the screen.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks!!

Comments

• edited October 2021

What host? If you’re using AUM, try making Atom2’s window smaller either by double tapping the header or drag and resize with the lower right control bar. When you have it smaller, then try the “Fit” function.

Also, double tap to select all works great!

• Thanks!!

• @Vmusic said:
    Hi,
    I have a 29 bar clip in Atom Roll 2. I want to select all the MIDI notes. I tried "fit" to get them all on the screen, but even with my 12" iPad Pro.....I can see them all.

Suggestion to vendor: In MIDI note edit mode, perhaps use of CMD+C, CMD+V, CMD+A would be helpful. Many folks are used to these shortcut keys.

There is a select tool (looks a bit like crop tool in photoshop); but you can only drag around what's visible. I don't see a way to "add" a new selection to an existing selection, when you can't see everything on the screen.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks!!

Double-tap on the marquee will select all if i recall correctly.

• You can double tap the actual select button in bottom left corner, or double tap a blank space on piano roll. Sometimes one works better then the other for some reason, so i usually try the second one if first one isnt responding. Double tap quickly too.

• Thanks for all of these...... I still wish the selection of MIDI notes used the "standard" CMD+A, and copy/paste used CMD+C and CMD+V. For those that use 1,000 other apps/software....it would just be so much easier.

• OK..... I can select all. I still can't see all. the "fit" but (Magnifying glass with a - in it), REALLY doesn't work.

;-(

• @Vmusic
    Not everyone has a keyboard attached to the iPad
    Stick with atom2, you will get used to it, and will love it, with or without a qwerty keyboard

• NO............don't penalize the ppl with a keyboard. Sure....keep buttons on the screen; but the buttons should say CMD+C (Copy) and CMD+V (Paste). DO NOT reinvent the wheel when you're making software --- it makes it MORE difficult to use, not less difficult.

Looking for a BETTER MIDI note editor as we speak. I want EASY!!!! I don't have HOURS and HOURS to relearn what's a standard in text editing software.

I want to copy and past from one clip to another, from one pattern to another -- without a PhD needed. Is that too much to ask?

• Also.....make CLEAR tutorial videos. What purpose does a layer serve? What purpose does a pattern serve? What's the difference between a layer and pattern. Give examples of how each might be used in different situations.

What should be so simple :::: has become so complex :::: it's soooOOOOoo frustrating.

• @Vmusic said:
    Also.....make CLEAR tutorial videos. What purpose does a layer serve? What purpose does a pattern serve? What's the difference between a layer and pattern. Give examples of how each might be used in different situations.

What should be so simple :::: has become so complex :::: it's soooOOOOoo frustrating.

These apps don’t generate enough revenue to justify a developer taking on the expense (and/or time) of creating extensive tutorials. That is one of prices for being able to get such complex software at such low prices. There is a fairly detailed manual.

Asking about things you don’t understand will generally get a response from someone who knows the answer. And rtfm :)

• @Vmusic, it's not about making things more complicated, but simpler (for the developer). Keyboard shortcuts don't just "magically" work. The developer, IN ADDITION to the touch interface, has to think of and implement ANOTHER layer of interaction (the keyboard) which adds significant development effort for a comparatively small group of users (those with a keyboard) in a market with already very small margins (sorry for the bad news!)

• @SevenSystems ..... so let me understand the developer makes software that's easiest for him/her self to build? Hmmmmm....that's funny. I've been in software development for 30 years. You start with requirements given by the USERS [generally the business; here the sound creators], not the developers. The people buying/using the software are supposed to drive the train, so to speak. Yes, there's a cost for the features they want. Yes there are tradeoffs ::: if it costs too much for a feature perhaps it's not worth that cost.

I suspect while there's a cost here, I also suspect the cost isn't as great as you think because this isn't new. Copying/Pasting etc. into the buffer ~ well there's probably tens of thousands of code examples out there; it's THAT common.

This is just what you said; and what I said -- a developer (a great person honestly) -- thinking up of a way to do things and to some extent reinventing the wheel rather than relying on what's been around for 4 decades, and relying on the user base to drive the software.

I do understand in the case of live looping or for some music creators - they won't have a keyboard. I'm not "anti-" button; however these standard commands exist because they save ppl YEARS on their lives.

This software has some kind of odd or strange "buffer" - it's a list of the last 'x' MIDI notes copied; but it's pretty worthless because there are no labels to the objects in the buffer, only a timestamp. How on earth am I supposed to recognize what I copied 4 minutes ago? The copy/paste system in this software is a) complicated b) confusing c)almost worthless

After 40 minutes...... I still haven't figured how to copy MIDI notes from one pattern to another. It SHOULD NOT be that hard.

• @Vmusic said:
    Also.....make CLEAR tutorial videos. What purpose does a layer serve? What purpose does a pattern serve? What's the difference between a layer and pattern. Give examples of how each might be used in different situations.

There is a manual.
    Although I just tried to add the link from my bookmarks and it says it’s not there… maybe it’s been updated again.

• @Vmusic : SevenSystems is an excellent developer of iOS software including a great MIDI Sequencer -- he is knowledgeable about both the technical issues involved AND the monetary compensation one receives.

Perhaps, you are unaware at how little revenue these apps generate.

• Hit the Hamburger menu in top right corner then first button says manual. With links to open in in browser if needed.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Vmusic : SevenSystems is an excellent developer of iOS software including a great MIDI Sequencer -- he is knowledgeable about both the technical issues involved AND the monetary compensation one receives.

Perhaps, you are unaware at how little revenue these apps generate.

Also sevensystems didn’t even quote his own fantastic apps, which is a highly respectful thing while in an atom2 discussion

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Vmusic : SevenSystems is an excellent developer of iOS software including a great MIDI Sequencer -- he is knowledgeable about both the technical issues involved AND the monetary compensation one receives.

Thanks, I hope to actually be able to return to "full-time" Xequence development soon, fingers crossed ;)

@Vmusic -- OK, I haven't used Atom2 extensively so I can't speak about the specific implementation they used for the clipboard (buffer). I was mostly referring to the general topic of "Keyboard shortcuts vs. Touch interface". I don't have exact metrics right now, but I assume the vast majority of iPad users work almost exclusively with the touch screen, so that's what most developers focus on (some developers probably don't even spend a single thought about a keyboard when they design a touch interface).

For example, a relatively popular iOS MIDI sequencer I developed has no keyboard support at all -- and while I've gotten a few hundred support requests since the app launched, maybe only 3 or 4 of them dealt with requests for keyboard support.

I'm not saying that you're wrong and this isn't a valuable feature -- it certainly is! However, its proper implementation involves a lot of additional work:

• Thinking of where / how to show the shortcuts so people know they exist
    • Think which shortcuts to use
    • Implement a keyboard event system that actuates the corresponding elements when keys are pressed
    • Possibly users will also want a user interface to reconfigure their shortcuts
    • Documentation
    • Testing

It's always a tradeoff. As I said, I do agree that keyboard shortcuts are very useful and increase efficiency, but I think on a primarily touch device in a niche market, one probably cannot expect every app to implement them.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@VMusic, I think the missing piece in your logic is iOS apps have always been primarily designed for touch screens, not for use with keyboards. You make the assumption that cut and paste keyboard shortcuts, and typing keyboard shortcuts in general are a given in music apps on iOS and that the developer just forgot or was too lazy to implement them. That just isn't the case. I doubt that any other iOS piano roll editors have these keyboard shortcuts either. In more than five years on this forum I've never heard this request made once of any sequencing app. Truth.

Should they be added? Sure. That would be great. But your characterization of this as commonplace on on iOS and a glaring omission on the part of the developer is off-base.

Typing keyboards are becoming more commonplace these days, as are trackpads. But before now they have been a niche consideration on iOS touch screen apps.

Keeping in mind that Atom 2 is developed by a single individual in his spare time after working a day job to pay the bills and dealing with ... you know ... life ... and that there's a substantial number of far more significant features on the to-do list, you might want to request this feature on the main Atom thread. The developer is a wonderful person and I'm sure will consider adding this. Leaving the judgmental attitude behind wouldn't hurt either.

• @Vmusic said:
    @SevenSystems ..... so let me understand the developer makes software that's easiest for him/her self to build? Hmmmmm....that's funny. I've been in software development for 30 years. You start with requirements given by the USERS [generally the business; here the sound creators], not the developers. The people buying/using the software are supposed to drive the train, so to speak. Yes, there's a cost for the features they want. Yes there are tradeoffs ::: if it costs too much for a feature perhaps it's not worth that cost.

I suspect while there's a cost here, I also suspect the cost isn't as great as you think because this isn't new. Copying/Pasting etc. into the buffer ~ well there's probably tens of thousands of code examples out there; it's THAT common.

This is just what you said; and what I said -- a developer (a great person honestly) -- thinking up of a way to do things and to some extent reinventing the wheel rather than relying on what's been around for 4 decades, and relying on the user base to drive the software.

I do understand in the case of live looping or for some music creators - they won't have a keyboard. I'm not "anti-" button; however these standard commands exist because they save ppl YEARS on their lives.

This software has some kind of odd or strange "buffer" - it's a list of the last 'x' MIDI notes copied; but it's pretty worthless because there are no labels to the objects in the buffer, only a timestamp. How on earth am I supposed to recognize what I copied 4 minutes ago? The copy/paste system in this software is a) complicated b) confusing c)almost worthless

After 40 minutes...... I still haven't figured how to copy MIDI notes from one pattern to another. It SHOULD NOT be that hard.

Try this app for keyboard and keyboard shortcuts with midi in and midi out…

Piano with friends $.99

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/piano-with-friends/id1581181616