Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kat Electronic Drum trouble shooting / Drambo

My, otherwise traditional guitar, bass, drums band, is trying to incorporate the iPad to add extra synths and electronic percussion.

Having some strange behavior out of the Kat MIDI drum.

Setup is sending MIDI from the drum to iPad via a USB hub. I am hosting in Drambo and trying to trigger Au3s and Drambo samplers.

The odd thing is, it works on some AU3s but not on others and not on the Drambo samplers, at least not consistently. It will seem to register every 5 or 10 hits.

Broken unit?
I wondered of course at first if it was just a bum MIDI drum, but MIDI monitor in Drambo is showing the expected note on and off.

And again, it IS working with some AU3s. For example it consistently works with all the Ruismaker drum apps.

It works with Quanta consistently.

Does not work consistently with Drum Computer, with several Iceworks, with Tardigrain, with Aparillo.

I wondered if there was any hosting particularity with Drambo, but it does the same thing in AUM. But again, I specifically need it to work with the Drambo samplers.

Any hypotheses appreciated.

Comments

• edited October 2021

@Multicellular Make sure it's sending non-zero velocity for the Note On messages.

Edit: Is this Kat Drum an MPE controller? If so, it will be sending each new note on a different MIDI channel. If an app cannot handle MPE, it will need to accept MIDI on all channels (omni). This might explain why some apps work and some don't.

• edited October 2021

@uncledave said:
    @Multicellular Make sure it's sending non-zero velocity for the Note On messages.

Edit: Is this Kat Drum an MPE controller? If so, it will be sending each new note on a different MIDI channel. If an app cannot handle MPE, it will need to accept MIDI on all channels (omni). This might explain why some apps work and some don't.

Non-zero velocity..that's an interesting idea.

EDIT: Nope that wasn't the issue.

It isn't an MPE.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

Maybe too short, or no, duration between the note-on and note-off? I imagine that can be dealt with in Drambo with a module or two if that's the case.

• @wim said:
    Maybe too short, or no, duration between the note-on and note-off? I imagine that can be dealt with in Drambo with a module or two if that's the case.

I was just thinking about that. I was trying to add an ADHR but I may be doing it wrong in Drambo. Even on Quanta, which is properly registering hits, it doesn't seem to be holding.

• @Multicellular said:

@wim said:

I was just thinking about that. I was trying to add an ADHR but I may be doing it wrong in Drambo. Even on Quanta, which is properly registering hits, it doesn't seem to be holding.

Just use an Env AD that triggers off the note gate, but ignores the falling edge of the gate, so it always runs its full duration.

• @uncledave said:

@Multicellular said:

@wim said:

Just use an Env AD that triggers off the note gate, but ignores the falling edge of the gate, so it always runs its full duration.

For posterity sake, this didn't work either. Quite perplexing.

In contrast, tried the Kat drum pad with Loopy Pro and everything works normally for triggering samples.

I had put this on the back burner while the band was working on other stuff. But logged back in and realized I hadn't thanked you for your help.