Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Control Atom Piano Roll - Different Parts of a Song

Hi,
I want to be able to move back and forth between different songs sections; verse to chorus, chorus to verse, verse to bridge, bridge to chorus - between any parts. IDEALLY....I'd like to "tie" each part to a key on the keyboard, so I can go or play each part by pressing a single key (piano/MIDI controller keyboard)

I started making each part (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro) as a separate "clip" in Atom Piano Roll 2. I believe they're called a clip.

I watched the Victor Porof tutorial videos. Great videos.....but I still am not 100% sure how to set up each clip or whether to create a pattern or not.

Any advice? The Atom Roll 2 is pretty amazing software, but with that power comes some complexity...........any other suggestions on some software to capture different parts of a song, and then 'trigger' each part with a key from a (piano/MIDI controller keyboard) in AUM?

Thanks!!

Comments

• @Vmusic said:
    Hi,
    I want to be able to move back and forth between different songs sections; verse to chorus, chorus to verse, verse to bridge, bridge to chorus - between any parts. IDEALLY....I'd like to "tie" each part to a key on the keyboard, so I can go or play each part by pressing a single key (piano/MIDI controller keyboard)

I started making each part (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro) as a separate "clip" in Atom Piano Roll 2. I believe they're called a clip.

I watched the Victor Porof tutorial videos. Great videos.....but I still am not 100% sure how to set up each clip or whether to create a pattern or not.

Any advice? The Atom Roll 2 is pretty amazing software, but with that power comes some complexity...........any other suggestions on some software to capture different parts of a song, and then 'trigger' each part with a key from a (piano/MIDI controller keyboard) in AUM?

Thanks!!

There several ways to go. Each clip can be set to be triggered by a particular note or MIDI CC.

So, you can add an Atom instance whose job is to send notes to the Atom instances that have your clips.

• Thanks!!... Hhhhmmmm the only thing I see in Atom Roll 2 that can be assigned to a MIDI CC is a pattern? Is that what you mean?

• @Vmusic said:
    Thanks!!... Hhhhmmmm the only thing I see in Atom Roll 2 that can be assigned to a MIDI CC is a pattern? Is that what you mean?

Tap and hold Launch to see the clip’s launch options.

• @juevlorde said:
    KB-1 into Atom and the to a synth is my standard flow. I do find myself wanting a easy way to set the length of the loop though, other than dragging it out.
    https://tutuapp.uno/ , https://9apps.ooo/ , https://showbox.kim/

Are you using Atom2? No need to drag out; you can simply add the bars as needed by tapping the + or - signs.

• edited October 2021

Set Atom 2 up like this (for example, I have 1:1 as the controller, and 3:1, 3:2, and 3:3 as the instances I want to control/launch)

Long press on the “Launch” button to be able to set each instance’s launch note. Then in 1:1 (the controller) you can orchestrate which of the other instances will launch. Play with the controller instance’s tempo and probability settings for a wider range of control.

Here, I use C-1, C#-1, and D-1 as my launch notes sent.

• Note: All of that is possible without involving any of Atom 2’s “Pattern functions”.

Instead, you’re using individual instances of Atom for each different pattern or part.

Alternatively, you could use the Pattern tools, and have all of your different parts contained in a single instance. (There’s more than one way to do all of this!)

• @Vmusic said:...........any other suggestions on some software to capture different parts of a song, and then 'trigger' each part with a key from a (piano/MIDI controller keyboard) in AUM?

Thanks!!

Here’s a cool/fun thing you can try (since you asked about “other” things) Get Koala sampler!

In AUM, load Koala into an audio channel’s Effects slot and run whatever kind of audio you want into it. (Guitar, vocals, file players, drum beats, samples, Drambo, etc), then use Atom 2 instances, or your midi controller of choice to sequence Koala. It’s so much fun!

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Vmusic said:...........any other suggestions on some software to capture different parts of a song, and then 'trigger' each part with a key from a (piano/MIDI controller keyboard) in AUM?

Thanks!!

Here’s a cool/fun thing you can try (since you asked about “other” things) Get Koala sampler!

In AUM, load Koala into an audio channel’s Effects slot and run whatever kind of audio you want into it. (Guitar, vocals, file players, drum beats, samples, Drambo, etc), then use Atom 2 instances, or your midi controller of choice to sequence Koala. It’s so much fun!

Can Koala record in sync with the host or starting on a beat? With automatic key assignment? Or remotely selecting key? I have no hands or eyes free for this.

• @Max_Free said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Vmusic said:...........any other suggestions on some software to capture different parts of a song, and then 'trigger' each part with a key from a (piano/MIDI controller keyboard) in AUM?

Thanks!!

Can Koala record in sync with the host or starting on a beat? With automatic key assignment? Or remotely selecting key? I have no hands or eyes free for this.

Sure! Koala has full midi support, so you could set it up to do all this and more. Example would be using your sequencer of choice (I use Atom 2) to send a trigger note to (either toggle or hold) to record to a pad. This trigger note can be anywhere you like, all synced to host.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Note: All of that is possible without involving any of Atom 2’s “Pattern functions”.

Instead, you’re using individual instances of Atom for each different pattern or part.

Alternatively, you could use the Pattern tools, and have all of your different parts contained in a single instance. (There’s more than one way to do all of this!)

I see how I can send notes from Atom that can control other Atoms/sequencers; is there a way to send CC or PC messages too from Atom?

• @Oregano said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Note: All of that is possible without involving any of Atom 2’s “Pattern functions”.

I see how I can send notes from Atom that can control other Atoms/sequencers; is there a way to send CC or PC messages too from Atom?

You would need to record them in to Atom2 from some other source. You can’t enter them directly and can’t edit them. But if you can record them then Atom2 will play them back.

• I’m using Atom 2 midi notes with Launchpad Pro to trigger Koala pads to record as a live looping setup. It’s coming together great but I’m having one little problem. The midi note from Atom 2 will trigger and record a blank pad for the set loop length, but the loop will not play the very next loop. It has to play though the loop one full time with no audio and then it will play the sample the next time through just fine. I’ve tried every combination of Koala and Atom 2 record and launch settings I can think of. Any ideas would be appreciated.