Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playing Digitone with a guitar

Just realized today that I can play the Digitone with my guitar. I’ve been struggling with entering extended jazz chords into the sequencer, chords which I can play without thinking on the guitar.

In AUM, I loaded up MIDI Guitar, with MFXStrip to remap the MIDI channel (MIDI Guitar only outputs on channel 1. The Digitone’s autochannel is 10).

And that’s it.

Added bonus: guitar chord voicings sound unusual on a synth.

Comments

• Not knocking MIDI Guitar at all, but A2M is also very good. I find I’m using it more in AUM as it requires absolutely zero setup (just route the midi).

• @steve99 said:
    Not knocking MIDI Guitar at all, but A2M is also very good. I find I’m using it more in AUM as it requires absolutely zero setup (just route the midi).

Does A2M track as well as MG2?

• @Jamie_Mallender has an excellent A2M introductory video for those who aren’t familiar with this app:

Link to the app itself: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/a2m-real-time-audio-to-midi/id1569569145

• @espiegel123 said:

@steve99 said:
    Not knocking MIDI Guitar at all, but A2M is also very good. I find I’m using it more in AUM as it requires absolutely zero setup (just route the midi).

Does A2M track as well as MG2?

That's a good question... my enthusiasm is entirely subjective, I'm playing my guitar through Th-u with A2M sending midi to Lagrange, adding synth 'tails' to the guitar - sounds great to me, but I'm not requiring the tracking to be overly accurate, just to hang around when I hold a note. Also, I've been practising guitar hard, so in theory my technique is better since I last used MIDI Guitar. What I can say for sure is that latency is not causing me any issues.

I could try a direct comparison at some point, but I don't want to derail @mistercharlie 's thread too far too soon. My personal experience is it's about finding the right patch to embellish the guitar sound rather than worrying about the accuracy. Very happy to have both apps, just I'm using A2M more at the moment. If I do make any more precise observations I'll be sure to report them.

• For me tracking is most important, and now that I have an AUM session saved, there’s no setup.

I will look into A2M though.

I’ve tried pedals that do a similar thing without midi—they take the guitar input and turn it into synth sounds. But having the full Digitone with its sequencer is pretty wild.

The only problem is holding down a trig on the Digitone while playing a chord on guitar

• Oh, no polyphony or pitch bending in A2M! That really rules it out.

• @mistercharlie
    AUM, I loaded up MIDI Guitar, with MFXStrip to remap the MIDI channel (MIDI Guitar only outputs on channel 1. The Digitone’s autochannel is 10).

you can change autochannel to anything you want in MIDI config menu on Digitone ...

• I couldn’t get Midi Guitar 2 to work at all last time I tried to use it. Tried Standalone first, then the AU in AUM. I could get it to work “internally”, but sending external midi out was a no go.

I’m guessing it’s an iPadOS 15 thing, maybe a bug.

It’s nice having different options now with A2M.

• @dendy said:

@mistercharlie
    AUM, I loaded up MIDI Guitar, with MFXStrip to remap the MIDI channel (MIDI Guitar only outputs on channel 1. The Digitone’s autochannel is 10).

you can change autochannel to anything you want in MIDI config menu on Digitone ...

I know, but I don’t want it set to Ch1. Plus everything else is already set up to use 11.

I just keep things like that at the default unless I have a good reason to change.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I just keep things like that at the default unless I have a good reason to change.

Yeah, this is golden strategy ;-)

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I couldn’t get Midi Guitar 2 to work at all last time I tried to use it. Tried Standalone first, then the AU in AUM. I could get it to work “internally”, but sending external midi out was a no go.

I’m guessing it’s an iPadOS 15 thing, maybe a bug.

It’s nice having different options now with A2M.

Have you contacted the developer? If not, please do.

• @SNystrom said:
    @Jamie_Mallender has an excellent A2M introductory video for those who aren’t familiar with this app:

Link to the app itself: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/a2m-real-time-audio-to-midi/id1569569145

I had a lot of fun making that vid. :)

• @mistercharlie said:

The only problem is holding down a trig on the Digitone while playing a chord on guitar

I may have solved this. 10.2.6 STEP RECORDING MODE Should let me play a chord, and have the sequencer auto-advance to wait for the next one.

Testing today. This could be a GAME CHANGER.

• Yup, a recent update allowed advancing its sequencer step-by-step via MIDI in the new step recording mode. Though I don't know if a chord would throw it off. It may expect single notes.

• Chiming in to say I’ve been quite impressed with MIDI guitar 2 as well lately. Tracks pretty darn well within AUM and I greatly enjoy playing riffs into the Moog Model D with it.

I’m definitely a better guitar player than keyboard player. I also recently bought Atom piano roll 2 because I might start recording MIDI for the guitar riffs I am playing. But I haven’t really dived into that yet.

I am curious about A2M, but I’m gonna put that on the back queue of my personal Trello board for right now. I do wonder about what it is good at, and what it is not. I assume it’s well suited for tracking one instrument and maybe simple chords, but can’t handle more than that.

Thx,
    Joe