Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launch Control XL and AUM Gurus?

It was always a good match, but ever since the recent AUM update that made assigning CC's so so easy, it's like my Launch Control was MADE for AUM. So quick to get things going.

I would love to hear any tips or best practices from Launch Control gurus. For instance: What are you guys using as a transport on the hardware controller?

And most pressing: I'm using the bottom two rows of pads as MUTE and SOLO buttons, but for some reason, the pads don't light up when engaged. What am I doing wrong there?

Comments

• LCXL and AUM are definitely a perfect combo. I use the arrows for transport, etc. Right arrow = Play, Left = Record.

I haven't tried to get the buttons to light up. I'm using them similarly.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    And most pressing: I'm using the bottom two rows of pads as MUTE and SOLO buttons, but for some reason, the pads don't light up when engaged. What am I doing wrong there?

This is a real problem with basic MIDI mapping. If the app can't be configured to send the expected CC messages the controller won't reflect anything. You might be able to use the editor to configure those buttons to be toggled rather than momentary, and thus stateful, but you'd have to manually manage initially synchronizing state between AUM and the LCXL

• The LCXL pads will light up in response to certain sysex messages.

There is a programmers guide detailing the specific formula. It’s quite a clever and tricky implementation if I remember correctly.

I had some success with it using StreamByter/MIDIFire to process the relevant messages. But ultimately had some issues that didn’t make it 100% perfect.

I think there was a sum formula for getting the correct colour to display.

I believe a user here used AUM with Drambo and had the pads lighting up correctly. I’ll try to remember who and also post a link to the reference guide.

• I think Instantly Distant is also a forum member. Here is one of his vids.

I also think he had a few posts about getting the LCXL to light up.

• Here is a screenshot of part of that guide describing the ‘Double Buffering Sysex’. There is other relevant important info related to this, but thought this would be a good quick visual reference to what is required.

• edited January 2021

I think this could be achieved with Rozeta Mozaic. It would sit between AUM MIDI control and the LCXL an then send the necessary CCs back to the LCXL on button push. I never dug so deep into it but I believe with the help of a nifty mozaic script we could also utilize the arrows, mute, solo and arm buttons as originally intended by Novation. I just guess that would be quite some work...

I also don’t know if the values of mozaic script variables would be saved with the AUM state. That would be quite important to keep the mozaic script in sync with a restored AUM session. But I guess not because usually this is not desirable. Couldn’t we get state persisted variable types in mozaic? Would be a question for @brambos.

• This is at the very edge of my comprehension. Why do the pads light up at all then? Do they automatically do so when used with with Ableton? What happens when you use, say, a Launchpad X with an iOS app? Do the pads light up or not?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is at the very edge of my comprehension. Why do the pads light up at all then? Do they automatically do so when used with with Ableton? What happens when you use, say, a Launchpad X with an iOS app? Do the pads light up or not?

Softwares like Ableton will usually have an included script created to specifically work with controller hardware such as the LCXL.

Unless an iPad app has also specifically included support for the hardware then it will be down to the user to find a workaround via a 3rd party utility.

Such as StreamByter/ MIDIFire/ Mozaic apps for iPad that will allow you to script the functionality yourself.

At least, that is my understanding of it all.

• edited January 2021

@ExAsperis99

My unsophisticated solution to syncing the lights is in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/901456

• Wow, that's great @RolandGarros. I get so squirrelly whenever I see the Mozaic scripts in that typewriter font. I bought Mozaic out of appreciation for all things BramBos, but I must confess it causes such anxiety! But I'll take a look at your code, thanks.

• Is there a way to duplicate (Atom 2) clips / stacked MIDI in AUM via Launchpad Pro mk3? This is a super annoying limitation to not be able to quickly manage “clips” in session mode and instead need to hunt for the matching one in the AUM UI, and even then it lacks basic item management functions like duplication.

• Just to be sure before buying 1 of these, the different templates will allows me to have 24 "new" knobs on each template?

To be clear, I can midi map the 24 knobs to synth 1 on template 1 then go on template 2 and map the 24 knobs on synth 2?

How many template do I have?

And do you have noise problem with this device? You can hear the noise at 9:00 in that video

• edited October 2021

The novation is built better than the akai.

And yes, there are 8 templates on the novation (24 knobs, 8 faders, and buttons per template)
    Now for the fun part (besides the lighting addressed above):

AUM and 99.5% of the apps there won’t know you switched templates because knobs and faders are absolute. If you have knob 1 on template 1 mapped to parameter 1 of synth 1, and you turn it down to 0…..then switch to template 2 and turn knob 1 up to 127, whatever parameter that’s mapped to on template 2 will jump to 0 and then turn up from there. When it’s at 127 and you switch back to template 1, when you turn knob 1 it will jump from 0 to 127 and then turn down from there.

Drambo, and I believe beatmaker, have ways to mitigate jumping values, but AUM does not.
    The position of the knob is an absolute value and whatever it’s mapped to will jump to the knobs absolute value when moved.

This can be scripted away for the most part, but not 100%. The midi for most apps is not bidirectional.

Also I get no noise from my novation.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

AUM and 99.5% of the apps there won’t know you switched templates because knobs and faders are absolute. If you have knob 1 on template 1 mapped to parameter 1 of synth 1, and you turn it down to 0…..then switch to template 2 and turn knob 1 up to 127, whatever parameter that’s mapped to on template 2 will jump to 0 and then turn up from there. When it’s at 127 and you switch back to template 1, when you turn knob 1 it will jump from 0 to 127 and then turn down from there.

Ok I was aware of that since is not endless encoder like, let's say, the Midi Fighter Twister.

So if I understand you correctly, if I turn knob 1 on template 2 for synth 2, the knob will not move the synth 1 on template 1 (map to knob 1 again)?

I just don't want to move 2 parameter at the same time when I move a knob.

Thank you

• edited October 2021

It will only move the parameter associated with that template. The value jumps occur when switching templates and the value of the parameter does not match the position of the knob.

Also, in general, this applies to endless encoders as well. Value jumping.

There are controllers like the Faderfox, which have a midi takeover on them, meaning the value won’t jump if they are mismatched until you “catch” the value. This does not apply if you adjust the parameter on the iPad and not from the controller.

• Having owned both Akai Midimix and LCXL i much prefer LCXL. It has better hardware, more buttons and easily switchable 16 midi channels (banks).

It responds to CC messages to operate lights. As seen in one of the posts above CC value will determine the colour and intensity of the led. IE value of 15 will get your led light up bright red. I still haven’t managed to make it blink though!! That would be great to have for the record button.

There’s a hack in Drambo that I’m using which allows to send back a CC message to the controller and it works very well.

• One day notvation (may) update the lcxl to match the rest of the launch lineup. :/

• @supadom said:
    There’s a hack in Drambo that I’m using which allows to send back a CC message to the controller and it works very well.

Do you know if the hack works with the Launchpad? Is it difficult to setup?

You just sold me the LCXL

• @Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

Oops!!!

@Gravitas has some magic up his sleeve re launchpad x + Drambo. ;)

• @supadom said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

Oops!!!

It's the one that I tried, but fail. I will retry it soon. Maybe (I'm sure) I missed something.

• edited October 2021

When it comes to mixer controller I really think the only solution that is really usable is what Cubasis did. Supporting the controllers out of the box as Mackie Control / HUI. Then everything just works: light feedback, transport, controls mapping including mirroring reordered channels and pagination. Doing this yourself is just hacky, error prone and disturbs your workflow. Sorry for the harsh words but I think iPad DAWs have to grow up. I’m not willing to accept all these workarounds any more. Same is for proper multi-core rendering for AUv3 hosts. In Cubasis I can run 3-4 times more plugins than in AUM. Yeah I know, Steinberg most probably just migrated their solutions from Cubase, so it’s a bit unfair to compare.

• I've found Pocket MIDI to be the easiest way to test out SysEx messages. I usually type out the Hex in Pocket MIDI, then record the messages with SysEx Librarian. I haven't played around with the lights in a few years. You can switch between momentary and toggle on the pads, and you've got 8 factory and 8 User presets - factory presets can also be user presets, they are just default mapped to Live and FL Studio. Here's some .syx files for switching between all the user and factory Presets, and to look at the general format.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

Oops!!!

It's the one that I tried, but fail. I will retry it soon. Maybe (I'm sure) I missed something.

When you open up the 16 step sequencer project,
    you have to go into the midi racks themselves and
    change the midi output modules to 'Launchpad X midi in'.
    There's 64 of them.
    Hence why I haven't shared the 32 step project as well
    because that has 128 midi outputs.

I would've shared the project much more if it weren't for the fact that we can't
    change or reassign the midi modules globally rather than individually.

The dev for Soundprism and @rs2000 have been discussing solutions along these lines.

The other thing to do is make sure that you have
    a standard LP X drum grid pattern on the LPX for midi channel 3.
    The one that comes with it as I had wanted it to work for other users straight out of the box.

The interesting thing about both the LC XL and the LP X is
    that they will respond to cc and midi note information.
    The reason why my "hack" works is because when I trigger Drambo,
    I'm also sending the same information back to
    the LP X without using a midi feedback loop.
    If I had had access to a sysex module in Drambo then I would've used sysex instead
    but it still would've taken the same amount of modules to achieve the same result
    so I'm taking a deep breath and heading towards Mozaic to see if I can use scripting instead.
    Theoretically that should reduce cpu as well.
    Using sysex? I think I would be able to use all of the buttons on the LP X rather
    than merely selecting the custom modes and the note mode.

Here's a screenshot so that you can see where the midi output is in the midi rack

and here’s a screenshot for the standard drum grid

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is at the very edge of my comprehension. Why do the pads light up at all then?

Because Novation built it into the firmware.
    Send the corresponding midi note or cc message and it will light up.

Do they automatically do so when used with with Ableton?

They do when using the Launchpad ios app so presumably they will with Ableton
    as they were originally designed with Ableton in mind.

What happens when you use, say, a Launchpad X with an iOS app? Do the pads light up or not?

Yup, they do.
    My “Euclidean iii”, project shows this, it also shows the midi notes
    flashing in time with the rhythms generated by the clip launchers.

Here’s the vid.

Here’s an early version of my 32 step sequencer project which is now called ‘Vinnie Sage’.

and finally keeping within context of the LP X and LED lights,

Here’s some custom animation showing what you can do with the lights.

For those who like to know such things, these videos were done entirely within Drambo.
    No presets were used in the making of these projects.
    I don’t use presets anyway except in Synthmaster 2.

• edited October 2021

00 F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 20 3B F7

The 3 Hex numbers bolded are what you are customizing, which are template, index, and value. In the above example you're changing the bottom left pad to brightest yellow on user template 1. You've got to have the button set to toggle mode, which is easiest in the Components app.

To Turn off the light:
    00 F0 00 20 29 02 11 78 00 20 00 F7.
    Same as above with the 3 bolded numbers as template, index, and On/Off state. 00 is for off, and 7F for on.

• Found this on patchstorage.com

https://patchstorage.com/qkv2/

It's brilliant.
    Much better than the one I did.
    It simply doesn't have the LP X flashing LED's which looking at
    it could be added by someone who is an experienced scripter or coder.

Here's the supporting video.

• @Aud_iOS said:

The 3 Hex numbers bolded are what you are customizing, which are template, index, and value. In the above example you're changing the bottom left pad to brightest yellow on user template 1. You've got to have the button set to toggle mode, which is easiest in the Components app.

To Turn off the light:
    Same as above with the 3 bolded numbers as template, index, and On/Off state. 00 is for off, and 7F for on.

So simply looking at only the bolded numbers 00 20 00
    The last digit is the light on or off digit.
    So 00 20 00 is bottom left pad to brightest yellow on user template 1
    and 00 20 7F is the same pad switched off and the values in between are the colours?

• edited October 2021

@Gravitas said:

@Aud_iOS said:

To Turn off the light:

So simply looking at only the bolded numbers 00 20 00
    The last digit is the light on or off digit.
    So 00 20 00 is bottom left pad to brightest yellow on user template 1
    and 00 20 7F is the same pad switched off and the values in between are the colours?

The 00 bit is the template number, so counting up 00, 01, 02...07 for the 8 user templates, then 08, 09...0F for the factory templates.

The 20 bit then designates which knob or button you want to light up, which are:

00-07 (0-7) : Top row of knobs, left to right
    08-0F (8-15) : Middle row of knobs, left to right
    10-17 (16-23) : Bottom row of knobs, left to right
    18-1F (24-31) : Top row of ‘channel’ buttons, left to right
    20-27 (32-39) : Bottom row of ‘channel’ buttons, left to right
    28-2B (40-43) : Buttons Device, Mute, Solo, Record Arm
    2C-2F (44-47) : Buttons Up, Down, Left, Right

Each color, or value, the last bit, has the color ranges below, with 00 & 7F being Off/On:

• @Aud_iOS

Thank you for confirming and the additional info which
    is going to very useful for myself and many others.