Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is the iPad Pro 2021 with M1 Chip the best iPad for music production?

2»

Comments

• That‘s totally right. A three year old iPad Pro should be able to handle more than one instance without a problem.

• @NeonSilicon said:

That is kinda strange. There was a bug in the D and 15 a bit ago that caused some pretty bad performance issues, but they cleared them up with a couple of betas and updates. Kinda makes me wonder if there is something going on with your particular device that is related. But, then you have issues with some Fabfilter plugs too.

There may be something there that you can track down and fix because it does feel strange. But, if you actually do want to upgrade anyway, maybe it isn't worth the time. I'd guess that you might end up having to wipe the device clean and don't do a backup to see if it is an issue with configuration or some other software.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice to alleviate some of the problems I’ve been having. It does indeed seem to be the auto fill settings on Drum Computer that were causing the issue, though I could have sworn I’d already tried turning them off.

I’m running Model 15 with the buffer at 256. I did an experiment: I started loading up instances of Model 15 and some Fabfilter plugins and so far I can run four instances of Model 15 with three Fabfilter plugins with no problems except when switching between UI’s—that causes DSP spikes and major crackling. However, I have Arpbud, Chordbud, and StepPolyArp driving the Model 15’s—if I try to play even one instance of Model 15 with my midi keyboard or AUM’s keyboard I get static noises on some presets and it doesn’t seem to be the volume. The preset “Floibles” seems to consistent cause this when playing chords or notes quickly. Does that raise any red flags?

Oh, and yes, I’ve hard-reset the iPad many times. Also, I’m running iPadOS 14.4.1.

• edited October 2021

Sorry, repeated comment.

• The polyphonic presets in model 15 require a lot more processing power then the monophonic ones. I would use a much more economicly processing synth for playing live chords.
    Something like KQ Dixie or Beepstreet Sunrizer.

• I can't remember the version of iPadOS 14 that started being less bad, but I think it was past 14.4 -- maybe more like 14.6. Maybe going up to the latest 14 would help. For me, iPadOS 15 has been an overall improvement for audio and I haven't seen any other issues. (There are a couple of reported bugs still for some people.) I'm actually on the beta of 15.1 and it is working well.

• edited October 2021

@brgreg78, have you ever been part of beta testing and do you have Apple’s TestFlight software installed? In my case, this was the source of a large number of bugs and my issue was fortunately solved by upgrading to iOS 15.0.1 (which finally allowed me to delete TestFlight and get my iPad Pro back to normal).

• @NeuM said:
    @brgreg78, have you ever been part of beta testing and do you have Apple’s TestFlight software installed? In my case, this was the source of a large number of bugs and my issue was fortunately solved by upgrading to iOS 15.0.1 (which finally allowed me to delete TestFlight and get my iPad Pro back to normal).

Nope, never been a beta tester or had TestFlight installed. I always wait a while after a new iOS is released before installing.

@Alfred said:
    The polyphonic presets in model 15 require a lot more processing power then the monophonic ones. I would use a much more economicly processing synth for playing live chords.
    Something like KQ Dixie or Beepstreet Sunrizer.

That certainly makes sense. What confuses me is that using midi generating apps to drive the Model 15 doesn’t cause any crackling/static.

• You could maybe render the generated track to audio to safe power and the planet.

• edited October 2021

They should make a long ipad. Where you can choose the length. Then another long ipad for effects.

Would be cool with a keyboard.

• edited October 2021

Could be good to swipe away for visual editing but also audio units made for both square and rectangle. Plus mpe.

• @NeuM said:

I doubt that testflight itself does anything to an iPad. It is just an installer for developer app versions. If anything caused trouble on your iPad it was most likely the apps that you installed through testflight.

• @brgreg78 said:
    [...]

That certainly makes sense. What confuses me is that using midi generating apps to drive the Model 15 doesn’t cause any crackling/static.

The MIDI threads are really low priority. The UI threads are pretty high priority. If your processing is close to the limit, UI interactions are much more likely to cause interruptions than a MIDI event.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@brgreg78 said:
    [...]

The MIDI threads are really low priority. The UI threads are pretty high priority. If your processing is close to the limit, UI interactions are much more likely to cause interruptions than a MIDI event.

I think now I understand what causes crackles on my M1 iPad when switching between IAA apps even under low load.

• edited October 2021

I have the first Gen iPad 12.9 which finally bricked . I hate the size , I’d buy an 11’ if I went iPad pro. As it is now I’m getting the 256 gig mini and a portable 15.6 extension monitor . I don’t wanna go near a laptop.

• edited October 2021

Thanks @NeonSilicon for your synopsis there. BTW IPad Air 5 is not coming out until 2022 .

@krassmann : Thanks for your tests. So I take it Nanostudio or Zenbeats doesn’t utilize the multi core capabilities as well as Cubasis 3?

• edited October 2021

@krassmann said:

@NeuM said:

I doubt that testflight itself does anything to an iPad. It is just an installer for developer app versions. If anything caused trouble on your iPad it was most likely the apps that you installed through testflight.

That's likely accurate, however the bugs which were created prevented TestFlight from being deleted and were cascading into even more bugs in iOS for me.

So if this person had been in a beta test, any bugs caused by the presence or interaction between their beta app and TestFlight could potentially be a source of problems.

• @krassmann said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@brgreg78 said:
    [...]

I think now I understand what causes crackles on my M1 iPad when switching between IAA apps even under low load.

Could be. I think processing all the gestures is fairly processor intensive too.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Thanks @NeonSilicon for your synopsis there. BTW IPad Air 5 is not coming out until 2022 .

@krassmann : Thanks for your tests. So I take it Nanostudio or Zenbeats doesn’t utilize the multi core capabilities as well as Cubasis 3?

Yeah, it could take a bit more time to get the Airs out, especially if Apple is supply constrained on the A15's. But I'm still thinking that they'll be in the group of things that may be announced here in October. It's got to be getting pretty hard to upsell people to an Air when compared to the new Mini.

• @brgreg78 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

That is kinda strange. There was a bug in the D and 15 a bit ago that caused some pretty bad performance issues, but they cleared them up with a couple of betas and updates. Kinda makes me wonder if there is something going on with your particular device that is related. But, then you have issues with some Fabfilter plugs too.

There may be something there that you can track down and fix because it does feel strange. But, if you actually do want to upgrade anyway, maybe it isn't worth the time. I'd guess that you might end up having to wipe the device clean and don't do a backup to see if it is an issue with configuration or some other software.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice to alleviate some of the problems I’ve been having. It does indeed seem to be the auto fill settings on Drum Computer that were causing the issue, though I could have sworn I’d already tried turning them off.

I’m running Model 15 with the buffer at 256. I did an experiment: I started loading up instances of Model 15 and some Fabfilter plugins and so far I can run four instances of Model 15 with three Fabfilter plugins with no problems except when switching between UI’s—that causes DSP spikes and major crackling. However, I have Arpbud, Chordbud, and StepPolyArp driving the Model 15’s—if I try to play even one instance of Model 15 with my midi keyboard or AUM’s keyboard I get static noises on some presets and it doesn’t seem to be the volume. The preset “Floibles” seems to consistent cause this when playing chords or notes quickly. Does that raise any red flags?

Oh, and yes, I’ve hard-reset the iPad many times. Also, I’m running iPadOS 14.4.1.

Which preset library is "Foibles" in?

Have you checked the MIDI that is reaching the Model 15 with a MIDI Monitor to check the MIDI stream? It is odd that it only happens with external MIDI connected as MIDI is pretty low bandwith unless the MIDI stream has a lot of events. For example, my Sensel Morph sends a ton of aftertouch and pitchbend messages and I sometimes have to thin the stream of those messages not to overwhelm some apps (like sequencers)

• FWIW, even with polyphonic patches and my external keyboard sending aftertouch and pitchbend, my iPad 2018 (gen 6 non-pro) with iOS 14.8 and a buffer of 256 in AUM (nothing else running), I couldn't get any crackles happening and the CPU 'meter' never went above 30%.

Have you double-checked that you are running the latest Moog apps? There were releases that had performance problems that were eventually addressed.

• will all apps run on an M1 that hasn‘t been updated for some time (but do run on an ipad pro 2018 and ios 15)?

• I just got a 12.9 M1 , 256 gig. Couldn’t be happier .

• Happy owner too…and i just realized i can use sample rates from 44,1 to 96khz again.That‘s great 👍

• I got the 2020 Pro in March right when the 2021 came out. I could not justify paying that much more for the screen. I’ve never been too big on super graphics/high def picture quality and don’t even watch much tv so I’m more than cool with it. Hopefully for 3 years at least. My biggest regret is “upgrading” to the 12.9 instead of sticking to the 11. Hello, carpal tunnel issues.

• I ordered a 11” 512gb M1 Pro the other day.

First iPad without the HP Jack and home button :#
    Still waiting for the free Apple gift card though ($140)
    Need to buy those accessories
    Maybe a new interface
    Regular Apple magic keyboard and iPad pencil I think.