Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Modules in miRack

With the explosion of new modules in miRack's recent update, I wanted to create a thread for module recommendations especially for those of us that are euro(rack) newbs.

Just started diving into @nysthi modules.

What are the best West Coast / Buchla style modules that are intuitive to use and good for learning?

Comments

• edited November 2019

Not sure if all these modules are available in miRack yet but this VCV rack video may help you get started.

• edited November 2019

It's hard to define because everyone has own preferences. Looking back at the patches I was making last year I see this guys almost everytime

• Clocked (Impromtu), not Pamela but very nice and complex clock generator with 3 outs, delays, swing and etc
    • Plaits (Audible) one of the best osc out there
    • Topograph (Valley), awesome trigger machine for drums and synths when you don't want to program rhythms by yourself
    • Floats (famous Maths rip by M. Friedrichs), Quad LFO (famous XAOC Batumi take from Mental) and Stages (Audible) for modulation
    • Plateau (Valley) very very good plate reverb. Floats isn't in MiRacks but you can replace in with Befaco Rampage

If you're into melodies you should check melody cool generators (Turing Machine and Audible Random Sampler), esoteric Geodesics sequencers and simple but powerful JW Grid Seq. It's a port of popular Make Noise Rene with usable Random and Range functions. Perfect for simple basslines and melodies

As for NYSTHI it's has a ton of great stuff but sometimes they're hard to understand because of small hp and no available documentation. Antonio made them for himself so he doesn't worry about visuals and manuals.

• edited November 2019

Thanks @lazyass! Very helpful details.

So far I love Plaits, Nysthi LPG, and Plateau.

• @auxmux, no problem, I'm glad to help

• Hi. I can’t find a Filter module who can auto generate a sound without trigger it. Like the vult module.
    With vult filters if I raise at max the résonance the filters generate sound like and Oscilator.
    I test all of them in Mirack but no way.

• @Hkor I thought squnky filter with reso and distortion can self oscillate but I'm totally sure. But yeah, without Vult there's not so many options in filtering

• edited November 2019

@lazyass said:
    @Hkor I thought squnky filter with reso and distortion can self oscillate but I'm totally sure. But yeah, without Vult there's not so many options in

No it can’t. I test all of them. No self oscillation 😣😦

• nysthi::complexDAHD is highly inspired to Serge USG + Buchla 281 + EMS TRAPEZOID
    (you don't need to have the same FORM to have the same functions... )
    but is much more complex (use the CHANGELOG for documentation)
    nysthi::SoyModelSou is a Buchla 266 (or partially a Doepfer 149-1 + 2)
    nysthi::model277 is a twisted buchla 277
    nysthi::quadpanner is a one channel buchla 227e (no eq)
    +
    all the set of modules in 208 style

• @lazyass said:
    It's hard to define because everyone has own preferences. Looking back at the patches I was making last year I see this guys almost everytime

• Clocked (Impromtu), not Pamela but very nice and complex clock generator with 3 outs, delays, swing and etc
    • Topograph (Valley), awesome trigger machine for drums and synths when you don't want to program rhythms by yourself
    • Floats (famous Maths rip by M. Friedrichs), Quad LFO (famous XAOC Batumi take from Mental) and Stages (Audible) for modulation
    • Plateau (Valley) very very good plate reverb. Floats isn't in MiRacks but you can replace in with Befaco Rampage

If you're into melodies you should check melody cool generators (Turing Machine and Audible Random Sampler), esoteric Geodesics sequencers and simple but powerful JW Grid Seq. It's a port of popular Make Noise Rene with usable Random and Range functions. Perfect for simple basslines and melodies

As for NYSTHI it's has a ton of great stuff but sometimes they're hard to understand because of small hp and no available documentation. Antonio made them for himself so he doesn't worry about visuals and manuals.

Thank you for this. Update for 2021? Nest gave me the desire to learn more about mirack! I bought it when it came out, but did not put the time in it. It's time now.

• So Clocked is the closest to Pamela's New Workout ?

• @Montreal_Music said:

@lazyass said:

Thank you for this. Update for 2021? Nest gave me the desire to learn more about mirack! I bought it when it came out, but did not put the time in it. It's time now.

Plaits is still great. The free Spectrum port might be a good place to start with it since you don't need to learn MiRack to use Spectrum.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@lazyass said:

@auxmux brought my attention to the HetrickCV modules, which I had previously overlooked. In the HetrickCV collection, there's a lot of functional overlap with Nest: shift registers, logic, converters, comparators, flip flops, etc. Looking forward to digging into those!

• edited October 2021

@aleyas said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@lazyass said:

@auxmux brought my attention to the HetrickCV modules, which I had previously overlooked. In the HetrickCV collection, there's a lot of functional overlap with Nest: shift registers, logic, converters, comparators, flip flops, etc. Looking forward to digging into those!

Yeah man! Lots of good stuff in Hetrick modules, he actually went on develop Unfiltered Audio as well. Have fun with those.

• edited October 2021

I just uploaded a multi-track sequencer for miRack to Patchstorage, which can be used to sequence both melodic parts and drums. It uses some of the concepts found in Nest, but adds other modules as well for exploration (based on what miRack has available). It primarily designed to be used as an AU midi fx to sequence synths and drums. TLDR Description below.

https://patchstorage.com/aviary/

Aviary is a generative multi-track sequencer designed to play multiple tracks or instruments. It can be used standalone or within an AU host like AUM on iOS. It does not generate any sound on its own.

Just load as a Midi FX in AUM and point it at any AU synths (or even external hardware) using Midi Channels 1-4 for melodic parts. Use Channel 10 for sequencing drums. For more tracks or polyphony, add additional Midi Output modules.

If using standalone, just disconnect the cables from the BPM and Run inputs. These are normally used to sync the transport and clock to the host.

Using as a Midi AU is recommended and it’s more fun!

:: Notes / Hints ::

++ Grid Seq generates notes which are sent into ASR (analog shift register) which distributes those notes to different midi channels. Add Another ASR for more notes or more Midi tracks.
    ++ Analog to Digital generates Note On/Off messages or Gates
    ++ A Clock Divider is generating drum rhythms
    ++ Use Impromptu Clocked knobs to vary musical rhythms.
    ++ Divide clock signals or add randomization to signals using the included modules such as sequential switches, comparators, flip-flops and more.
    ++ Also includes LFOs for further modulation.
    ++ Break the provided signal chains for your own explorations.

If you have any questions, just reach out. Also, let me know if you make something cool with it. :smile:

• As others have said it's difficult to pull out favourites as modular is so flexible with its use-cases.

However, I do have a few recommendations for getting the most out of miRack. The first of those is to run Mi-Rack at 96k. All of the Audible Instruments modules are direct bit for bit clones of Mutable Instruments modules and the hardware runs at 96k to minimise aliasing.

The second recommendation is to learn the Audible Instruments modules first as these are so well documented online (both the Mutable Instruments hardware and the Audible Instruments clones). There are so many great videos to get you in the zone with these modules.

You'll also need to know the modules marked as Essential as these are mainly replacements for the basic VCV Rack modules. Better still, in general, they're better options than the VCV base modules.

And now to individual modules that I use most often:

The Befaco Rampage - is a reasonable alternative to the Make Noise Maths hardware (tons of video tutorials on both online, these which will explain the specifics of what they do and why they can be relied upon in virtually every patch you devise).

Bogaudio has a vast range of bread and butter modules that are worth exploring early on. There are often modules that do a slightly better job at similar tasks but Bogaudio is the equivalent of native Eurorack modules in miRack. If they're not quite the tip-top, they're not far behind.

The E340 Cloud Generator is a very unique twin wavetable oscillator that's capable of monster JP8000 'super' style output, that goes far further than the ubiquitous Super-Saw.

The Geodesics modules are genius, but they're definitely something to explore when you're more experienced.

Impromptu Modular supply some of the best sequencing modules on the platform. They're also fairly intuitive in use.

JW-Modules GridSeQ is super useful. It's in many of the 'recipes' published by Peter Kirn on CDM last year. You'll find many of the VCM modules aren't available in miRack, but as you become more experienced with miRack you'll easily replace the missing modules with miRack native ones.

One of the missing VCV module manufacturers in miRack is Vult, who provide some of the best filter modules in VCV Rack. But miRack has another of the greats for filters, and that's LindenbergResearch. All their modules are worth a visit.

Squinky Labs are universally great but I have a preference for its oscillators - EV3 is a gem.

What modular would be fully formed without the Turing Machine module, and a very good clone is available in miRack, created by Stellare Modular

And finally comes the best of the bunch, the Valley modules. Topograph & µGraph are 3 channel drum sequencer modules that emulate Mutable Instruments' 'Grids'. Dexter is a sublime four operator FM synth. Interzone is a wonderful mono-synth reminiscent of early Roland mono-synths. Plateau is a glorious reverb that's by far the best in miRack. Amalgam is a stereo Ring Modulator on steroids. And the last Valley module is Feline, which is a stereo version of the filter in Interzone.

There's far more of note within miRack but these are my hero modules right now (they change over time).

As you're learning miRack something that's easy to miss, is that the developer often links to the online documentation of any particular module (in your web browser). The standard of the documentation is individual to each developer but most are pretty decent.

• @auxmux brought my attention to the HetrickCV modules, which I had previously overlooked. In the HetrickCV collection, there's a lot of functional overlap with Nest: shift registers, logic, converters, comparators, flip flops, etc. Looking forward to digging into those!

Omri Cohen has a pretty good video on HetrickCV...

• I need to start getting into MiRack. Especially now that I have this 12.9” M1!

I’d also like to see a comparison of patches, that demonstrate, for example, how a particular patch in MiRack might be recreated in Drambo. Or vice versa? A modular Drambo rack recreated in MiRack?

Or maybe even a shootout 🔫 between MiRack and Drambo… which is more capable? Which is more powerful? And which is more intuitive (I think we already know the answer to that last one!😉)

• @lasselu said:

That video is a real eye opener. Thanks for posting it.

• Omri Cohen is the main VCV Rack video 'evangelist' of note. It's worth going through his YT archive as there's a wealth of VCV knowledge, most of which can be applied to miRack.

• edited October 2021

Yeah, I've learned a lot about miRack over the almost last two years (wow!) since I started this topic. Almost all has been via Omri Cohen's videos and reading a lot of documentation about individual modules. That latter can be found in github, since most modules are open-source.

• @lasselu said:

Check out my sequencer on patchstorage, it's around 50% Hetrick modules.

• Just downloaded it :) Gonna check it later...

• @auxmux said:
    I just uploaded a multi-track sequencer for miRack to Patchstorage, which can be used to sequence both melodic parts and drums. It uses some of the concepts found in Nest, but adds other modules as well for exploration (based on what miRack has available). It primarily designed to be used as an AU midi fx to sequence synths and drums. TLDR Description below.

https://patchstorage.com/aviary/

Aviary is a generative multi-track sequencer designed to play multiple tracks or instruments. It can be used standalone or within an AU host like AUM on iOS. It does not generate any sound on its own.

Just load as a Midi FX in AUM and point it at any AU synths (or even external hardware) using Midi Channels 1-4 for melodic parts. Use Channel 10 for sequencing drums. For more tracks or polyphony, add additional Midi Output modules.

If using standalone, just disconnect the cables from the BPM and Run inputs. These are normally used to sync the transport and clock to the host.

Using as a Midi AU is recommended and it’s more fun!

:: Notes / Hints ::

++ Grid Seq generates notes which are sent into ASR (analog shift register) which distributes those notes to different midi channels. Add Another ASR for more notes or more Midi tracks.
    ++ Analog to Digital generates Note On/Off messages or Gates
    ++ A Clock Divider is generating drum rhythms
    ++ Use Impromptu Clocked knobs to vary musical rhythms.
    ++ Divide clock signals or add randomization to signals using the included modules such as sequential switches, comparators, flip-flops and more.
    ++ Also includes LFOs for further modulation.
    ++ Break the provided signal chains for your own explorations.

If you have any questions, just reach out. Also, let me know if you make something cool with it. :smile:

This is great. I'd never looked at the analog to digital module but it makes so much sense in a patch like this. Looking forward to explore it soon. Fantastic!

• Awesome! Have fun @dvi and @lasselu. Let me know how it goes. 😄

• Great info on favorite modules here, thanks ! Got Drambo and Mirack about a year ago. Could get on with Drambo at all but somehow Mirack did. Then after a whole while Drambo instantly became obvious and have been using it almost exclusively. Now back to integrating MirRack patches into Drambo ☺
    Can't say I have any favorites in mirack, besides that the generative stuff and sequencing are great. Oh and favorite filter is Stairway.
    Lots of module to look into!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2021

@dvi @lasselu @Montreal_Music Put a track out on IG created with the Aviary Sequencer:

• @auxmux said:
    @dvi @lasselu @Montreal_Music Put a track out on IG created with the Aviary Sequencer:

Nice! I've been following you on insta for a while. I like the videos and the detailed patch notes.
    Keep it up!