Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom UAC-8 bricked?

Purchased this unit used, installed drivers, plugged everything in (I'm @ USB 3.0), and the unit will not power on. The light sequence on the face does it's thing and when it flashes the blue light on the volume knob it shuts back off. Therefore, it doesn't even try to connect to pc.
I'm afraid it's bricked. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

Are you trying to power it from the PC over USB or via the DC power supply jack? It's possible that your PC doesn't supply enough power over USB. Trying a different USB cable might help too.

• I was interested in this issue, so I read the UAC-8 manual. I'll write down the points that caught my attention.

• Do not use a USB hub.
    • Don't use the power saving mode of the PC such as auto sleep.

• When the CLASS COMPLIANT MODE switch on UAC-8 is ON, it can be connected to an iPad, but not to a PC. This switch is disabled when it is powered on.

• ZOOM's support page has a solution to the problem of UAC-8 not being certified on macOS. If you are a Mac user, you may need to configure various settings to avoid blocking ZOOM products when installing the driver. In that case, reinstall the driver.

• UAC-8 can be initialized and restored to its factory default state.

• UAC-8 has three modes: PC, iPad, and standalone. It seems that the power indicator lights up in any of the three modes. And in all modes, the manual says to use the included AC adapter.
      I guessed that whether the USB cable is connected or not, if the AC adapter is connected, it will reach one of the modes and the power indicator should light up. However, if the USB cable is half-broken or not plugged in correctly, it might work incorrectly.
      For example, it might behave in such a way that it fails to transfer data when it enters PC mode, and as a result, it cannot reach any mode and shuts down.
      (All of this is my imagination, and there is no basis for the accuracy of the information.)

• edited October 2021

Never seen this behavior here.
    What happens if you turn it on with nothing but the power supply connected?
    Will it shut off too?

• edited October 2021

In my previous post, I may have misused some English expressions. My English ability to explain things to others is lacking. There will probably be a lot of weird sentences, that's my fault.

Before correction) It seems that the power indicator lights up in any of the three modes.
    After correction) It seems that the power indicator lights up in all three modes.

Before correction) For example, it might behave in such a way that it fails to transfer data when it enters PC mode, and as a result, it cannot reach any mode and shuts down.
    After correction) This is just my imagination, but for example, it may behave in such a way that it fails to transfer data when it enters PC mode, and consequently shuts down without being able to reach any mode, maybe by some rare coincidence, out of luck.

I found someone's blog that has an example of solving a problem with UAC-8 on Windows 10. It was written in 2016. I don't know if it will help the OP to solve his problem, but it might help someone else in some way.
    The original article is not in English. Here is a translation of the original text with some editing by me, using DeepL.

The article says that the power is on, but it is not listed as a "playback device" and no sound is played.
    The article goes on to say that it is not a problem with the UAC-8, but seems to be a compatibility issue with Microsoft's driver for USB3 on the motherboard.

If the sound stops working, you can check it by doing the following.

1. Open "Device Manager" from the right-click of the Windows menu (or Start menu?).

2. Select "Devices (by connection)" from the View menu, and look for a mark in the Universal Serial Bus Controller column.
      (Note: This mark is written in the article as a pictogram with a red exclamation mark inside a yellow-filled triangle).

In this person's case, the mark was on an item called USB Root Hub (xhci). When this person looked at the details, he saw a warning that the USB hub could not be reset.

1. Check the manufacturer's website of your computer (or motherboard if you built it yourself) to see if there is a USB driver for Windows 10.
      The article mentions that you need to find driver for your own computer. In other words, each PC environment requires a different driver.

If you find a USB 3.0 driver, install it.
    The USB3 related drivers in Device Manager will change to XXXX USB 3 Root Hub, etc.

The blog post concludes with the words, "Every PC environment is different, but I hope this gives you some ideas."
    In another blog, I found a description of a person who had trouble with the CLASS COMPLIANT MODE switch setting because it wouldn't start, so he had to go through trial and error.

Also, this may not be relevant, but I'll write it down just in case.
    USB3.0 has a specification that if you insert the cable into the connector slowly, it will be recognized as USB2.0 and the data transfer speed will be slow. If you insert the cable slowly into the connector, it will be recognized as USB 2.0 and the data transfer speed will slow down.
    It is written on the DELL web page. I learned this information not from DELL, but from an internet news report about a problem with a combination of products from other manufacturers. I don't know if this is a minor or major specification.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000135207/usb-3-0-device-is-recognized-as-usb-2-0-on-a-dell-system?lwp=rt

The UAC-8 seems to be compatible with USB 2.0, so I don't think it has anything to do with the OP's problem. However, I can't say for sure because I have never seen a UAC-8 in action, nor have I experienced slower USB 3.0 transfer rates.
    I think it's important to do some basic checks, such as testing with all the USB cables you own and with all the USB ports on your PC itself.

• The fact that the font is bold is accidental. It is not meant to be emphasized. I don't know how to re-edit, so please forgive me.

• @cramdog said:
    The fact that the font is bold is accidental. It is not meant to be emphasized. I don't know how to re-edit, so please forgive me.

Just tap the gear (cog) in the header of your post and you can edit it for up to one month. Nice work digging this out BTW.