Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes — Nest [ desktop for now ]

edited September 2021 in Other

https://sugar-bytes.de/nest

Key Features
Build your own sequencer!
More than 20 different modules
Generate 8 MIDI voices and assign to 4 targets
Host up to 4 VST2 plug-ins
Use internal synths and drums
Recall 12 scenes via MIDI
Send to 16 MDI channels
Plus MIDI CCs and automation
Multi audio outs (5 stereo)
Flexible scale system

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/32dhW5v9Cy9RzLux8

Comments

• I'll have a proper in-depth look at the tutorial videos later on. But my hot take is...can Drambo do sequencing like that yet? :lol: Seriously though, Nest looks incredibly fun to muck about in.

• Ha! It’s finally out, congrats to SB. You should put this in off-topic though @iOSTRAKON, it’s not available for iOS yet

• But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:
    Ha! It’s finally out, congrats to SB. You should put this in off-topic though @iOSTRAKON, it’s not available for iOS yet

• I wouldn’t hold your breath haha

@iOSTRAKON said:
    But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:
    Ha! It’s finally out, congrats to SB. You should put this in off-topic though @iOSTRAKON, it’s not available for iOS yet

• This looks… Intense.

• Is it "fun to play"? I doubt...

• I am not the demographic but wish I was.

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Is it "fun to play"? I doubt...

There is a Desktop demo... Look like going back to school for me... But there is a load of presets..

• Wow, curious to see people opinion on this one... :D

• look forward to an iOs version, it should work well on 12.9. I'm surprised they haven't prettified it a bit more, perhaps more skins would be nice.

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Is it "fun to play"? I doubt...

For me it probably would and wouldn't be, all depending on my mood on a given day. Some days, I just want to pull out Drambo, go into "god mode", and shape and design and mold my sounds specifically as to how I want them to be. Then there are other days where I can't be arsed digging far deep into the depths of infinite sonic realms and instead just play around in something easier like Gadget.

• I've been building sequencers like this in miRack for a while, but this should be fun to use.

• The software looks like it could be nice, but those breadboard images in the videos are painful to look at.

• @Gavinski said:
    I wouldn’t hold your breath haha

@iOSTRAKON said:
    But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:

Oh oh…

Well I’m sure the desktop version is a good place to learn it.

• edited September 2021

There are some excellent tutorial videos on the web page - similar in quality to Tom Cosm's epic series for Factory and Aparillo, though more detailed. Only 10 minutes into the introductory video and it's pretty well explained so far. I might just finally be able to get my head round modular ...

• I wonder if they're planning to make standalone iPad version a plugin host

• @craftycurate said:
    There are some excellent tutorial videos on the web page - similar in quality to Tom Cosm's epic series for Factory and Aparillo, though more detailed. Only 10 minutes into the introductory video and it's pretty well explained so far. I might just finally be able to get my head round modular ...

Thank you :) if you’d like to hear what Nest can do in a musical context, there are musical examples sprinkled throughout the videos. Though personally, I think some of the examples in Part 3 and 4 are best. Particularly around the Sample and Hold, Shift Register and 7 Bit Converter sections.

If anyone’s got any specific questions, let me know. Nest is has been a joy to use and a fun learning experience. It’s different from typical modular. For one, it doesn’t produce sound, it’s a sequencer. Secondly, the workflow and philosophy are a bit different. Nest is all about adding numbers (stacking cables) to create pitch and modulation. Pitch events are quantized to note on events because you are working with midi, not CV. You could patch this way in a modular, but it would require many high precision sample and holds. Or in some cases would require converting from CV to MIDI. But the advantage of this is that it’s quick and easy to get unique sequences going direct to your plugins, and not needing to hassle with conversions.

The modules are also inspired by classic CMOS chips, like the 4015 Shift Register, or 4051 Mux/Demux. So Nest has more of a low level feel, which you can use to your advantage to build exactly what you have in mind (with the bag of chips at your disposal) or experiment with curiosity. There are some unique modules like the IF/Else module which allow you to program ‘statements’ and conditions. The ADC/DAC is also a fun one, which isn’t really represented by eurorack or modular (Xaoc Devices Drezno and Leibniz Binary System are the only modules coming close).

Another defining difference Nest has to some modular systems is immediate scene recall. So you have 12 scenes, each which can be a completely different patching setup, it’s own ‘preset’, or be a single patch at different states if development.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    The software looks like it could be nice, but those breadboard images in the videos are painful to look at.

That was the developer’s breadboard, some real life prototypes of Nest :)

• @aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    The software looks like it could be nice, but those breadboard images in the videos are painful to look at.

Were you involved in the development? I reached out to them on social about it, and they never reply.

• Yeah the scenes work well, I hope this can also be added to miRack someday.

• @auxmux said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Were you involved in the development? I reached out to them on social about it, and they never reply.

I wasn’t a developer, but yeah, I ended up working quite a lot with them on it.

If you got any questions I’d be happy to answer them. As a fellow modular user, Nest has been a lot of fun, and a even a paradigm shift for me. I learned a lot, and it’s workflow led to some really cool discoveries which when adapted to CV/modular ended up in systems I would have never thought of naturally. I’m now designing a case built up around patching concepts I use in Nest, but adapted for eurorack.

• edited September 2021

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

It's a cool intro, but I think what @NeonSilicon is getting at is that basically all of the ICs on the board are shorted out, the ESP32(?) is half connected to a bus lane, nothing is actually connected...

• edited September 2021

(edit fail, but might as well make use of the dupe post)

Arm-chair EE'ing aside, I do want to check this out as it looks like it could be some geeky fun.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

It's a cool intro, but I think what @NeonSilicon is getting at is that basically all of the ICs on the board are shorted out, the ESP32(?) is half connected to a bus lane, nothing is actually connected...

Ahah is that right? 😂
    Well it’s what he sent me lol

• @Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Yeah, every part is oriented wrong and there are dead shorts on the board. I get that it's just being used as an intro title screen and I'll give them the artistic license on it, but it's like when you are watching a movie and they show some silly thing that takes you out of the scene because you know it won't work. This one makes me go ouch because things would go bang and the magic smoke would be released.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Yeah, every part is oriented wrong and there are dead shorts on the board. I get that it's just being used as an intro title screen and I'll give them the artistic license on it, but it's like when you are watching a movie and they show some silly thing that takes you out of the scene because you know it won't work. This one makes me go ouch because things would go bang and the magic smoke would be released.

Lol, well I certainly didn’t know that. If I had, I would’ve used a different picture. I was searching for some public domain images of breadboards for that quick screen, couldn’t find any good ones, so asked the dev for a pic. Don’t know what the story is behind that image, but the man is always building things, circuits, modules, etc.

• edited September 2021

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Lol, well I certainly didn’t know that. If I had, I would’ve used a different picture. I was searching for some public domain images of breadboards for that quick screen, couldn’t find any good ones, so asked the dev for a pic. Don’t know what the story is behind that image, but the man is always building things, circuits, modules, etc.

Oh, you made the intro? Cool! It's definitely neat and thematic. :) For what it's worth, I'm used to an overly healthy dose of suspension of disbelief and just enjoyed it for the message. It wasn't until it was pointed out that I gazed at it through a Thevenin's loupe.

• The whole concept makes me go ouch :)

• edited September 2021

@Gavinski is right. The topic title is misleading, this isn't IOS. Must be Off-topic

• edited September 2021

Fixed somewhat / hey @Michael - can you move this to OT please?

Will be iOS at some point

@Pierre118 said:
    @Gavinski is right. The topic title is misleading, this isn't IOS. Must be Off-topic