Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammerhead 25th Anniversary Edition - Out Now!

Comments

• edited August 2021

Hi,
    I was messing around with Hammerhead + LK in AUM and run into a situation that I found very confusing. I was playing around with some midi mappings on AUM and Hammerhead went silent… then on other occasions the snare would disappear… I had done to specific midi mapping for track volume or any of that in Hammerhead/AUM track. My guess is that there’s some default midi mapping happening, I searched for it but it’s not on the manual.
    To recap: things are being automated in HH without my intervention. Is that possible?. It drove me mad cos I thought the samples weren’t loading when it turned out it was the master volume that had magically be set to zero.

• edited August 2021

@tahiche said:
    Hi,
    I was messing around with Hammerhead + LK in AUM and run into a situation that I found very confusing. I was playing around with some midi mappings on AUM and Hammerhead went silent… then on other occasions the snare would disappear… I had done to specific midi mapping for track volume or any of that in Hammerhead/AUM track. My guess is that there’s some default midi mapping happening, I searched for it but it’s not on the manual.
    To recap: things are being automated in HH without my intervention. Is that possible?. It drove me mad cos I thought the samples weren’t loading when it turned out it was the master volume that had magically be set to zero.

Yes, there is a default MIDI CC mapping. It’s listed a few pages back in this thread :)

Edit:

P_VOLUME       13
    P_SHUFFLE      14
    P_SOUL         15
    P_DISTORT      16
    P_COMPRESS     17
    P_CHAOS        18
    P_CHANCE       19
    P_MUTATE       20

P_LEVEL1       21
    P_LEVEL2       22
    P_LEVEL3       23
    P_LEVEL4       24
    P_LEVEL5       25
    P_LEVEL6       26
    P_LEVEL7       27
    P_LEVEL8       28
    P_PAN1         29
    P_PAN2         30
    P_PAN3         31
    P_PAN4         32
    P_PAN5         33
    P_PAN6         34
    P_PAN7         35
    P_PAN8         36

• Thanks @brambos !. If I may… itd be helpful if you add this to the docs.
    When faced with a question before it was “Have you read the manual?”, now it’s “That was on page 14 of the thread in the forum, you lazy f%#3-#” 😜😬
    BTW since you don’t specify a channel I’m assuming that these mappings are “Omni” (listens to all channels).

• FWIW, I love it when apps do have fixed mappings, making them more portable between hosts without having to do a bunch of AU parameter mapping.

• edited August 2021

@wim said:
    FWIW, I love it when apps do have fixed mappings, making them more portable between hosts without having to do a bunch of AU parameter mapping.

I would have thought I agreed, but I just made a screencap of a performance (here) and I just noticed the Hammerhead Kick is completely panned left. I must have been using that CC on some other channel , or maybe it was LK that had it pre mapped…. 🙃
    Now that we’re on CC mapping… I wish there was mute and solo. Mute specially I find very useful.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Ugh, my nemesis. You know, I actually tried a random button the other day. Crappy results, and I felt crappy for using it.

Things to try is to press the button again. Then if it still sounds bad, again... :D

• @wim said:
    FWIW, I love it when apps do have fixed mappings, making them more portable between hosts without having to do a bunch of AU parameter mapping.

I’m kinda against it... for a standalone app it makes sense, but for an AU - multiple instances, reliance on host param handling for majority of use cases... leaves you always looking out for surprises.
    It’s useful, but I think the ability to switch it off completely should be there as well.

• edited August 2021

@0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

I’m kinda against it... for a standalone app it makes sense, but for an AU - multiple instances, reliance on host param handling for majority of use cases... leaves you always looking out for surprises.
    It’s useful, but I think the ability to switch it off completely should be there as well.

Hosts handle MIDI routing and filtering, so typically you have full control over when/how a plugin receives MIDI and from where. There can hardly be surprises, unlike with oldfashioned hrdware MIDI chains (remember those? :) ).

• edited August 2021

@brambos said:

@wim said:

Hosts handle MIDI routing and filtering, so typically you have full control over when/how a plugin receives MIDI and from where. There can hardly be surprises, unlike with oldfashioned hrdware MIDI chains (remember those? :) ).

Yes, there is a good case for this approach... sometimes I almost requested this feature out of convenience (static controller for a static setup) :)

Edit: hit post accidentally...
    Lately I’m happy camper in Drambo, but in AUM for me it was very often the case that notes and the automation comes from the same port, in which case I have to hit the manual ‘in the flow’ instead of just mapping the first available cc to a param.

• @brambos said:

@wim said:

I never had a problem with hardware MIDI because I mapped out the configuration and it stayed that way unless I changed it. Hardware MIDI also tended to follow MIDI protocols so you typically knew what to expect. I don’t find this to always be the case with iOS. I was never frustrated by hardware MIDI. iOS MIDI… another story.

• @brambos said:

@wim said:

Did I already say my kick drum ended up hard panned to the left “magically” ? 😂🙃

• It’s 909 day!!!

• Is there a way to pitch a sound the in built samples up without using the sequencer?

I almost always pitch up hats and snares but want to be able to play this with midi.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@gregsmith said:
    Is there a way to pitch a sound the in built samples up without using the sequencer?

I almost always pitch up hats and snares but want to be able to play this with midi.

By coincidence, I was looking for that too just the other day. I don't think you can do it without the sequencer.

I can kind of understand why @brambos would elect to leave that out. If he put pitch in, then people would look for attack, sample start point, etc. etc. etc.. A lot of thought went into the simplicity / capability tradeoffs.

• @wim said:

@gregsmith said:
    Is there a way to pitch a sound the in built samples up without using the sequencer?

By coincidence, I was looking for that too just the other day. I don't think you can do it without the sequencer.

I can kind of understand why @brambos would elect to leave that out. If he put pitch in, then people would look for attack, sample start point, etc. etc. etc.. A lot of thought went into the simplicity / capability tradeoffs.

Yeah makes sense. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks @wim

• How possible would be to add a repeat feature for the sequence mode (x2, x3, ... )?
    It'd be sort of a "song mode".

• edited September 2021

After loading some presets and my own kits I found that the volume knob doesn’t go all the way down. With the individual mixer settings all the way down and the volume knob on zero, most of the sounds will go to “red” in AUM. Also tested with the individual mixer all the way up (if it would behave like some sort of attenuator) but nothing. Did other people experience this? Only experience this with the Multibus output.

• edited September 2021

@gregsmith said:

I love his approach of “this is it - if it works for you as-is then great, but if not then don’t expect me to change it so it does; I’ll release bug fixes and I MAY add stuff in future that I think is cool that I’m sure you’ll think is cool - but apart from that THIS is it”

I wish more devs pushed back like that: I hate it when an app works great in it’s original form & for what I thus bought it for (even if it does have the odd quirk here & there), but then gets destabilised because someone with some really obscure & strange/complex workflow (that they refuse to compromise) wants/demands new features added so as to use it in that workflow, features that I’ll never use.

• Hiya, thanks for an amazing app!

I'm sequencing from a Synthstrom Deluge and I've run into the same issue I have with my TR-8S where the notes for the drum sounds are spread across several octaves. So I have something like: kick, snare, nothing, nothing, nothing, clap, nothing, rimshot, nothing, nothing, nothing...and so on.

Is there any way to remap the notes in Hammerhead to make them appear consecutively on the same screen?

Thanks!

• @triff said:
    Hiya, thanks for an amazing app!

I'm sequencing from a Synthstrom Deluge and I've run into the same issue I have with my TR-8S where the notes for the drum sounds are spread across several octaves. So I have something like: kick, snare, nothing, nothing, nothing, clap, nothing, rimshot, nothing, nothing, nothing...and so on.

Is there any way to remap the notes in Hammerhead to make them appear consecutively on the same screen?

Thanks!

You could use a StreamByter script to convert consecutive MIDI notes into the black notes preferred by Hammerhead. I could write that. Which notes do you want to use?

• @triff . This ought to do it.

#MapDrumNotes

If load
      Alias $60 firstNote # first note
      Alias 8 noteCount # number of notes to map
      # mapped output notes. These are the Ruismaker black notes.
      Ass K0 = $49 $51 $54 $56 $58 $61 $63 $66
    End

# process note off and note on
    If MT < A0
      If M1 >= firstNote
        Mat I00 = M1 - firstNote
        # only modify notes in the range
        If I00 < noteCount
          Ass M1 = KI00 # replace the note with mapped value
        End
      End
    End

You load Hammerhead as an instrument in Audiobus. Load StreamByter as MIDI effect, paste this program and Install Rules. Add your controller as MIDI input, and route the output to Hammerhead (Instance A). Tap on the magnifier in StreamByter and you can see the notes being transformed. You can change the first note to be mapped, and you can re-order the output notes if you like.

• @brambos I’ve been playing around with the topograph sequencer in MiRack , suggested by @wim. The channel mutes in Hammerheads mixer view don’t seem to function when a sound is triggered by the sequencer in MiRack. The volume sliders are working but not the mutes. Could this be fixed ?
    Thanks

• @gsm909 said:
    @brambos I’ve been playing around with the topograph sequencer in MiRack , suggested by @wim. The channel mutes in Hammerheads mixer view don’t seem to function when a sound is triggered by the sequencer in MiRack. The volume sliders are working but not the mutes. Could this be fixed ?

I've updated the behavior of MIDI triggering to respect the channel mutes. Update is on the way! B)

• @brambos said:
    I've updated the behavior of MIDI triggering to respect the channel mutes. Update is on the way! B)

@brambos Thats super, thanks

• @brambos said:

@gsm909 said:
    @brambos I’ve been playing around with the topograph sequencer in MiRack , suggested by @wim. The channel mutes in Hammerheads mixer view don’t seem to function when a sound is triggered by the sequencer in MiRack. The volume sliders are working but not the mutes. Could this be fixed ?

Nice to see you still have time for us @brambos ... :wink:

Uberdev status maintained! :star:

• @gusgranite said:

@brambos said:

@gsm909 said:

Nice to see you still have time for us @brambos ... :wink:

Of course I have! Just less time for loitering around here :)

• @brambos any chance you could make the mutes midi mappable too? 😇

• Is there anyway to tell which preset is in use when using HH in cubasis for example. This is mystifying me!

• @brambos, How can I transfer my user presets to a new iPad? (I did reread the thread and manual.)

• @rogp said:
    Is there anyway to tell which preset is in use when using HH in cubasis for example. This is mystifying me!

Generally, when you save a project or session in a hosting app, the AUv3s are not using any preset. You probably began by loading a preset in the app, but you could have changed it before saving the host project. Once you restore a project in the host, the app is just using a bunch of data provided by the host, not a specific preset. The app cannot tell which preset that data originated from. This is inconvenient, but it really is how it has to be.