Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Power and hubs for those who gig

Greetings. This is a query for people who use their iOS devices in non-ideal settings. Our practice space has imperfect electricity. Many places we did do as well.

I’m curious how others in similar situations are setting up with hubs and power to minimize noise over USB.

Right now, I’m using a powered hub, Apple 30W USB-C adapter, RME Babyface in class compliant mode, Linnstrument and DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter Twister.

I would love a combined hub, interface with balanced outs, and filtered power supply but it does not seem such a product exists.

Comments

• Definitely a gap in the market for something.

I am currently trusting to battery power. Got through a 100 minute gig with 55% battery left. Prefer not to plug in power if possible!

• In fact I forgot that the week before I had a 4 hour gig and there was no gap from soundcheck to performance- so must have been on battery power for 5 hours plus, and made it though. I supoose my application can't be that cpu heavy.

• Iconnect audio 4c and audiofuse come to mind. Can’t speak for the power supplies.
    Don’t know how many inputs/outputs you need. Audiofuse does have an adapt expansion on it.

• Battery all the way for me. I've got all my gear connected through a USB hub to a 26800mAH battery, which lasts for many hours without a problem. That includes iPad, Zoom U44, LaunchPad X, plus 1-2 other controllers and maybe guitar playing through iPad depending on the situation.

Next I'm looking to buy a Linnstrument, powering that from a separate battery pack in my pocket, then using a Widi device to connect Linnstrument's MIDI to the iPad over wifi. That'd be a complete onstage-ready wireless rig running through 2 batteries, which is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

• I’m probably going to start leaning towards @monch1962 suggestion as well.
    Sometimes the building power just sucks, and sometimes you’re told “to set up in the corner” and there’s not a power outlet in sight. Then they ask you “well didn’t you bring your own extension cord?”
    The more self sufficient u can be the better.

• edited September 2021

Thanks. I hadn't considered a rechargeable battery. That would, presumably, solve the power supply issue. I'm running an iPad, a RME Babyface, a Linnstrument, and a DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter Twister.

What would you recommend as a rechargeable battery for all that? I know the Linnstrument needs 300ma and the Babyface needs 500ma. No idea on the MFT (they don't publish specs) or the iPad.

I can't speak to the Audiofuse, but for more than one USB device, the iConnectivity interface requires a powered hub, at which point, I might as well stick with my setup. The Babyface is quite a good interface.

• I wouldnt trade the baby face for either of those 2

• I haven't tried this, but I did see a video of someone who strapped four big 26800 mah batteries together. Battery 1 charged 2, which charged 3, which charged 4 -- and then into two ipads, keyboards and other misc low-power devices. No amplification. He figured maybe 20-24 hours between recharging all of them.

• Midi Fighter> @JES000000 said:

Thanks. I hadn't considered a rechargeable battery. That would, presumably, solve the power supply issue. I'm running an iPad, a RME Babyface, a Linnstrument, and a DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter Twister.

What would you recommend as a rechargeable battery for all that? I know the Linnstrument needs 300ma and the Babyface needs 500ma. No idea on the MFT (they don't publish specs) or the iPad.

I can't speak to the Audiofuse, but for more than one USB device, the iConnectivity interface requires a powered hub, at which point, I might as well stick with my setup. The Babyface is quite a good interface.

Sorry being probably too late. Midi Fighter twister is 250mAh, it's written on the back. I also have a Babyface pro (600mAh at 5V or 240mAh at 12V)// MF Twister (300mAh)// and a continuumini (500mAh) everything connected to ipadpro M1, and getting a bit crazy with powerbanks and hubs unpredictable behavior. Tried 10000mAh and 20000mAh power banks with different hubs (USB3 and USBC) plus Apple Camera adapter. After many tests I've got a config that some keeps up without continuumini error messages but a the expense of not charging the ipad. If anyone knows a hub-powerbank working with such demands of mAh....

• @ruizcomposer . Just a little techie clarification here. "mAh" is a unit of total electric charge, how much a battery can hold. "mA" is the unit of instantaneous current, how much a device requires to function. Your reports of the currents for the different components should be in mA, not mAh. Nice list of details, by the way.

• @uncledave said:
    @ruizcomposer . Just a little techie clarification here. "mAh" is a unit of total electric charge, how much a battery can hold. "mA" is the unit of instantaneous current, how much a device requires to function. Your reports of the currents for the different components should be in mA, not mAh. Nice list of details, by the way.

You are absolutely right, sir. My apologies.

• @monch1962 said:
    Battery all the way for me. I've got all my gear connected through a USB hub to a 26800mAH battery, which lasts for many hours without a problem. That includes iPad, Zoom U44, LaunchPad X, plus 1-2 other controllers and maybe guitar playing through iPad depending on the situation.

Next I'm looking to buy a Linnstrument, powering that from a separate battery pack in my pocket, then using a Widi device to connect Linnstrument's MIDI to the iPad over wifi. That'd be a complete onstage-ready wireless rig running through 2 batteries, which is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

Just happened to see your message, I made a nice and convenient solution for playing LinnStrument this way, thought I'd point you to it: https://shop.uwyn.com/collections/frontpage/products/linnstrument-battery-pack-holder

The STL is also on thingiverse if you would want to print it yourself: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4575197