Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone 13 Day

Just picked up my new iPhone 13 Pro from the Apple Store here in Seattle. Pretty quick process since I had purchased in advance, there was a long line but it only took 15 minutes to get through it.

Overall it's a lot like the 12 Pro I'm coming from (obviously). I will say that the new ProMotion display is instantly noticeable, much much better scrolling and navigating now. Really glad Apple finally added a higher refresh rate to the iPhone, since the form factor just necessitates more scrolling.

By far the biggest change though is the new camera set up. Those lenses are HUGE compared to the iPhone 12 Pro. They stick out twice as far from the back of the phone as before, it's a lot bigger bump than I was expecting even from the pics I've seen so far. Just a heads up if you're one of those people who goes caseless and likes to put your iPhone flat on a table when using it sometimes.

Still transferring data to it, I'll put it through it's paces later this evening and report back if i run into any issues with any music apps.

Comments

• Congrats! I’ve been waiting to see some camera comparisons, let us know how you find it!

• @Tarekith said:
    Overall it's a lot like the 12 Pro I'm coming from (obviously). I will say that the new ProMotion display is instantly noticeable, much much better scrolling and navigating now. Really glad Apple finally added a higher refresh rate to the iPhone, since the form factor just necessitates more scrolling.

How would it be obvious that you are coming from an iPhone 12 Pro?

I hope it works out for you.

• I meant that it's obvious that the 13 Pro is a lot like the 12 Pro, given how little is different between them.

• @richardyot said:
    Congrats! I’ve been waiting to see some camera comparisons, let us know how you find it!

Overall I like the camera improvements a lot. The 3x zoom in particular is something I find useful, and macro mode is better than I expected too. Overall image quality is better, but only by a tiny bit most of the time. Pictures in my dark studio still aren't as good as my A7C, but they are sharper and less contrasted then with the 12 Pro.

Now that you can take ProRAW pics and edit right in the Photos app, I find myself using 3rd party apps like Halide less and less. It's pretty impressive the level of quality you can get in your images from a phone camera.

• Now leaving home for getting my ordered iPhone 13 Pro Max 512GB!

Anyone around Stockholm intrested in my “old” iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB (six month old - 100% mint)?

• @Tarekith said:
    I meant that it's obvious that the 13 Pro is a lot like the 12 Pro, given how little is different between them.

I have ordered an iPhone 13 Pro Max just because of the new camera system - sure, not that big difference other than Macro features…

• The more I use the camera the more I can appreciate the improvements they made. I take back what I said about low light photo quality, it’s a LOT better on the 13 now that I’ve experimented with it some more. Battery life is more improved than I was expecting too, though the phone is noticeably heavier now too.

• @Tarekith said:
    The more I use the camera the more I can appreciate the improvements they made. I take back what I said about low light photo quality, it’s a LOT better on the 13 now that I’ve experimented with it some more. Battery life is more improved than I was expecting too, though the phone is noticeably heavier now too.

Helps we had a pretty awesome sunset last night to photograph.

• @Tarekith said:
    The more I use the camera the more I can appreciate the improvements they made. I take back what I said about low light photo quality, it’s a LOT better on the 13 now that I’ve experimented with it some more. Battery life is more improved than I was expecting too, though the phone is noticeably heavier now too.

The thing I like most - Macro can be used on all three lenses…

Great iPhone, although the ”old” iPhone 12 Pro Max that I also own is really awesome too…

• @Tarekith said:

@richardyot said:
    Congrats! I’ve been waiting to see some camera comparisons, let us know how you find it!

Overall I like the camera improvements a lot. The 3x zoom in particular is something I find useful, and macro mode is better than I expected too. Overall image quality is better, but only by a tiny bit most of the time. Pictures in my dark studio still aren't as good as my A7C, but they are sharper and less contrasted then with the 12 Pro.

Now that you can take ProRAW pics and edit right in the Photos app, I find myself using 3rd party apps like Halide less and less. It's pretty impressive the level of quality you can get in your images from a phone camera.

For guys like me (soon 60 years old) the extremely fast development of the Cellphone cameras is stunning!

I remember my first digital camera back in 2002, Fujifilm Finepix 601F, 3MBpixels and 128MB memory card, that was special then, but, almost 20 years later we have cellphones with so freaking many features that it’s like a sci-fi movie!!!

• I found my second digital camera the other day, a Nikon Coolpix 995 – completely knackered and doesn’t work any more, but for the while I used it it was superb, and could do what my next Nikon digital SLR of the day couldn’t, which was to use the old SB24 and SB27 flash I used to use on my Nikon F4. All the newer Nikon DSLRs required a new generation of flashguns or they wouldn’t work other than in manual (which is how I ended up using them all, after all, I used my Elinchrom studio flash system in manual with the aid of a nice flash meter, so no great hardship there)

• I bought my first proper camera this year, a Sony A7C full frame. While it can definitely do things the iPhone can’t, it’s really driven home just how good the iPhone cameras have become. It’s pretty nuts how far computational photography has come!

• edited September 2021

iphone 13 buyers beware! Disgusting…

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/27/iphone-13-screen-cracked-here-s-how-apple-stops-face-id-working-if-you-try-to-fix-it-yours?fbclid=IwAR2n67PgJhMjzuubW_-HEUIVtf3VoVZj0CpTuBlI3lgLZYg4jUIXvP9qZ8E

One thing the article doesnˋt mention: it wonˋt even turn on if someone (thats not apple etc) replaces the battery*

*according to a friend who is running one of the most renown mac repair shops in berlin/ger

• @Tarekith said:
    Just picked up my new iPhone 13 Pro from the Apple Store here in Seattle. Pretty quick process since I had purchased in advance, there was a long line but it only took 15 minutes to get through it.

Nice! Thinking of getting one myself.

Did you go for the minimum 125GB or did you get more storage?

Trying to figure out what storage would be appropriate for me. I don't plan on making hour long videos - maybe 15 min. at most per video.

• Minimum is fine for me on my phone, I don’t run a lot of sample heavy apps.

• @Crabman said:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/27/iphone-13-screen-cracked-here-s-how-apple-stops-face-id-working-if-you-try-to-fix-it-yours?fbclid=IwAR2n67PgJhMjzuubW_-HEUIVtf3VoVZj0CpTuBlI3lgLZYg4jUIXvP9qZ8E

One thing the article doesnˋt mention: it wonˋt even turn on if someone (thats not apple etc) replaces the battery*

*according to a friend who is running one of the most renown mac repair shops in berlin/ger

Agreed, it’s fucked up. I’ve replaced the battery on my 6s twice already as well as the charging port. The battery actually performs better than the original.

In a few years time companies like Apple will be obliged by law to make user serviceable devices. We’ll likely see the return of phones with click on batteries. I hope w will.

• At least the EU are already preparing laws like this (right to repair etc).This market ist too big to ignore,hope it doesn‘t take too long because burocracy…

• @Tarekith said:
    Minimum is fine for me on my phone, I don’t run a lot of sample heavy apps.

Since the time I posted, I found the built-in guidance in Settings->Camera->Record Video. Worst case scenario is 1 min. of video will take 350 MB, with 4K at 30fps. So 15 min. would be 5250 MB, or 5.25 GB.

I think 128GB will be enough for me too.

• I only run Nanostudio2 on my iPhone 11 Pro, but I can’t max out the CPU at all. I can’t imagine what it’s like on the 13.

• Surprise, you still can't max it out. :D

• My aging iPhone 6S suddenly dropped from 75% charge to 5% charge.

I better hurry up and put in my order for the 13

• edited October 2021

@Crabman said:

OK, a couple of things here… If you can afford to buy an iPhone (any iPhone) you should also factor in the upfront cost of AppleCare+. It’s like insurance and you should buy it in case of any need for repairs or if you need to consult with someone from Apple in great detail to solve an issue. Apple products are “generally” very well engineered and if you have a problem and are polite with the people you deal with at Apple they might fix your particular issue with no argument or cost. Yes, being nice actually helps.

Now, when a third party disassembles a security minded device like the iPhone, Apple doesn’t necessarily know what the repair shop has done to your phone. It might be compromised in a way that could make you or their systems vulnerable. That’s why getting the “insurance” of AppleCare+ and going to Apple should always be the first option, not the last option.

• I put in my order for a 13 Pro.

I thought about getting the insurance offered by my carrier (AT&T), but decided the cons outweighed the pros. The biggest con is AppleCare has a fixed price, while AT&T charges $15/month, indefinitely.