Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Animoog no longer responding to CC#1 (mod wheel) or Aftertouch [SORTED - ish]

edited September 2021 in General App Discussion

For some reason Animoog no longer responds when I send it CC#1 (mod wheel) from a hardware controller or an app such as MIDILFOs. Other apps do (e.g. Zeeon, Kauldron, SynthScaper). Animoog does respond to other CCs. Is there anything logical I could have done that could be diverting or suppressing CC#1? Another clue may be that my BCR2000 can also send Aftertouch messages, which Animoog used to respond to, but that has stopped working too :/

I'm pretty sure I didn't update iPadOS in the meantime, although I have now updated to 14 in an effort to fix this (it didn't).

Comments

• I now suspect that installing MIDILFOs may have caused this. It is the only app I have installed on both my iPads since it was working properly. And now I am having problems uninstalling MIDILFOs (see post elsewhere).

Does this ring bells for anyone else?

• @MarkH said:
    For some reason Animoog no longer responds when I send it CC#1 (mod wheel) from a hardware controller or an app such as MIDILFOs. Other apps do (e.g. Zeeon, Kauldron, SynthScaper). Animoog does respond to other CCs. Is there anything logical I could have done that could be diverting or suppressing CC#1? Another clue may be that my BCR2000 can also send Aftertouch messages, which Animoog used to respond to, but that has stopped working too :/

I'm pretty sure I didn't update iPadOS in the meantime, although I have now updated to 14 in an effort to fix this (it didn't).

Have you checked the AniMoog MIDI settings (System)?

• @uncledave said:

@MarkH said:

I have checked everything I can think of. I'm not sure what you mean by "(System)"?

• @MarkH said:

You have confirmed that the patches are set up to respond to cc#1?

• @espiegel123 said:

@MarkH said:

Well I have selected a patch that responds to the Mod strip in Animoog. This is traditionally controlled by CC#1, as I understand it (and it used to behave so). I don't know enough about MIDI to know how those standard mappings behave but as far as I can tell you can overwrite standard mappings in Animoog's CC mapping screen. It seems to me that this has happened and somehow the Mod strip has been reprogrammed to something else. Unfortunately the Mod strip isn't mappable from inside Animoog, otherwise I could just map it back to 1.

• @MarkH said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MarkH said:

Well I have selected a patch that responds to the Mod strip in Animoog. This is traditionally controlled by CC#1, as I understand it (and it used to behave so). I don't know enough about MIDI to know how those standard mappings behave but as far as I can tell you can overwrite standard mappings in Animoog's CC mapping screen. It seems to me that this has happened and somehow the Mod strip has been reprogrammed to something else. Unfortunately the Mod strip isn't mappable from inside Animoog, otherwise I could just map it back to 1.

If you turn off "MAP CCs" in the Animoog settings, nothing gets remapped. CC1 from an external source is behaving as if I were using the Animoog's internal mod wheel. I used KB-1 to play Animoog notes and send CC.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MarkH said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MarkH said:

If you turn off "MAP CCs" in the Animoog settings, nothing gets remapped. CC1 from an external source is behaving as if I were using the Animoog's internal mod wheel. I used KB-1 to play Animoog notes and send CC.

I don't understand what you mean by 'turn off MAP CCs'. That button shows the mappings available and lets you edit them, then once they're saved they remain active. I just deleted and reinstalled Animoog but now none of the CCs work. Good grief :|

• For testing, what app do you have on your device that you can use to send CCs to Animoog?

By "turn off", I meant unmap any controls that have been mapped. Sorry for not being clear.

• @MarkH said:

@uncledave said:

@MarkH said:

I have checked everything I can think of. I'm not sure what you mean by "(System)"?

Sorry, I meant the "Setup" page in AniMoog.

• @espiegel123 said:
    For testing, what app do you have on your device that you can use to send CCs to Animoog?

By "turn off", I meant unmap any controls that have been mapped. Sorry for not being clear.

The app I'm currently using is Rozeta LFOs. Or on my big iPad I still have MIDILFOs and also the Behringer BCR2000, which I can program to send any given CC.

• @MarkH said:

@espiegel123 said:
    For testing, what app do you have on your device that you can use to send CCs to Animoog?

The app I'm currently using is Rozeta LFOs. Or on my big iPad I still have MIDILFOs and also the Behringer BCR2000, which I can program to send any given CC.

You've checked to make sure that either omni is on or the input channel settings in Animoog are set to the midi channel you are sending?

Did you do a hard reset between deleting Animoog and restoring it?

• @espiegel123 said:

@MarkH said:

@espiegel123 said:

You've checked to make sure that either omni is on or the input channel settings in Animoog are set to the midi channel you are sending?

Did you do a hard reset between deleting Animoog and restoring it?

Yes, all that. But stand by for my next post...

• OMFG. Okay, I still don't really understand what is going on but it works again. More importantly, I can see how to make it work or stop working.

What I have discovered is that when I have an external hardware keyboard mapped as an input to Animoog (currently in AUM), and I play a note from that keyboard, Animoog will respond to CC#1 sent from any source - i.e. any other keyboard, hardware controller or app. This is also true for the aftertouch (which my BCR2000 sends as a Channel Pressure message). However, if in the same circumstances I play a note from the Animoog keyboard, it doesn't respond to CC#1 or aftertouch from an external source. And if I don't have an external keyboard mapped, it doesn't respond to CC#1 or aftertouch from external sources.

My hypothesis (not checked out yet) is that if a keyboard is connected (and it seems to have to be a keyboard, not just the BCR2000, for example) then Animoog responds to standard MIDI CCs from anywhere when it is playing notes sent from an external device. I say standard ones, because if I map CCs inside Animoog (from the MAP CC page) it will respond to these even when playing notes on the Animoog keyboard or if no external keyboard is connected.

Maybe I haven't expressed that as clearly as I am thinking it, but perhaps it makes sense? Is there some rule in the GM protocol whereby an app (or MIDI receiver) is aware when a keyboard is plugged in and then responds to standard MIDI CCs?

• A lot of older apps (including Korg Gadget), listen to any connected MIDI hardware. I wonder if that is the situation here.

• It sounds as though Animoog just assumes if you play with the on-screen keyboard that all the expression will come from there. That kind of makes sense to me since that's what its for. It might not be a good assumption, but I can imagine a software engineer thinking that way and/or it being problematic to listen to for the possibility of both and working out the conflicts.

There's nothing in the MIDI v1 protocol that relates to devices being plugged in or not, so that isn't a factor here.

• @wim said:
    It sounds as though Animoog just assumes if you play with the on-screen keyboard that all the expression will come from there. That kind of makes sense to me since that's what its for. It might not be a good assumption, but I can imagine a software engineer thinking that way and/or it being problematic to listen to for the possibility of both and working out the conflicts.

There's nothing in the MIDI v1 protocol that relates to devices being plugged in or not, so that isn't a factor here.

Yes, if it's peculiar to Animoog that would explain why other apps such as Zeeon and SynthScaper respond to the standard CCs regardless.

• Same problem here…useful thread. Thanks.