Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK & Neon - Clips Launching In Cubasis 3

edited September 2021 in General App Discussion

Hi everyone
I just uploaded a video showing how to launch clips in Cubasis 3 using Neon and LK
Hope you find it useful

Comments

• edited September 2021

Thanks for the video @Paa89.

I raised a couple of issues under the latest Neon video that I had with triggering Play and Rec from AU parameters so hopefully Paul has noticed this and will fix them as part of the incoming update you mentioned. If he can fix these and maybe add a clip retrigger mode then Neon should be ready to both record perfect loops and then play them back directly under control of LK.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Thanks for the video @Paa89.

I raised a couple of issues under the latest Neon video that I had with triggering Play and Rec from AU parameters so hopefully Paul has noticed this and will fix them as part of the incoming update you mentioned. If he can fix these and maybe add a clip retrigger mode then Neon should be ready to both record perfect loops and then play them back directly under control of LK.

I don't know if I missed something with Neon, but it wold be really helpful to have a similar set of clip launch settings that Atom 2 has or simpler but still useful Koala. In particular, things being able to set the number of beats to when a clip would launch, when a clips would stop, if it is gated and so on.

• But this approach is limited to the max number of multi-out channels, right? Which is 8? Wouldn‘t this also be possible with Koala?

• It is indeed possible with Koala, which I use lots, but it is nice to be able to simple record and and use neon's edit features. I'm not sure there is a lot of difference, but it's nice to have options. If there was more control over clip launch then I think it would be really interesting.

• @cuberoo_ said:
    It is indeed possible with Koala, which I use lots, but it is nice to be able to simple record and and use neon's edit features. I'm not sure there is a lot of difference, but it's nice to have options. If there was more control over clip launch then I think it would be really interesting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Paul updates Neon with more Options for clip launch.

• edited September 2021

@krassmann said:
    But this approach is limited to the max number of multi-out channels, right? Which is 8? Wouldn‘t this also be possible with Koala?

Yep this is something you can do with Koala too.
    The video was uploaded because someone asked if it were possible to do Clip launching with Neon in Cubasis using LK

• Even thought these things are technically doable I personally have a really hard time to digest the clash of multiple UIs especially when each has their own quirks and issues, there's no real consistency and gives the feeling of a 'falling brick-house' (ie. it can fail at any given time and restoring the complete session becomes a nightmare).

The more 'work-arounds' we manage to do using 3rd party apps the less pressure the host developers have to actually add features to their apps...

• @Samu said:
    Even thought these things are technically doable I personally have a really hard time to digest the clash of multiple UIs especially when each has their own quirks and issues, there's no real consistency and gives the feeling of a 'falling brick-house' (ie. it can fail at any given time and restoring the complete session becomes a nightmare).

The more 'work-arounds' we manage to do using 3rd party apps the less pressure the host developers have to actually add features to their apps...

👍

• @Samu said:
    Even thought these things are technically doable I personally have a really hard time to digest the clash of multiple UIs especially when each has their own quirks and issues, there's no real consistency and gives the feeling of a 'falling brick-house' (ie. it can fail at any given time and restoring the complete session becomes a nightmare).

THIS exactly. It's why I keep hoping for the one app to unite them. Atom2 and AUM work so well together, but they're not perfect either. And that's kind of a show-stopping bug for Neon! Was thinking about diving in with that as a kind of rental/placeholder to launch audio clips while I wait for Loopy Pro, but I'm glad I didn't yet.

• @Samu said:

Using Neon as a clip launcher + LK makes sense in AUM, I don’t see the point in using it in Cubasis.

• @tahiche said:

Using Neon as a clip launcher + LK makes sense in AUM, I don’t see the point in using it in Cubasis.

Agreed, and the more I think about it it's so much easier to just use BM3 and load all the clips one would ever need to the pads and sequence them and forget that Cubasis exists as it drains too much energy to see all the missed opportunities regarding sampling & audio based workflow...

• edited September 2021

@Samu said:

This is a very true statement.

Definitely another true statement, but unfortunately we have to work with what we have to make the best out of it.
    i hope developers start to see our frustrations and make things better.

• edited September 2021

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

Agreed, and the more I think about it it's so much easier to just use BM3 and load all the clips one would ever need to the pads and sequence them and forget that Cubasis exists as it drains too much energy to see all the missed opportunities regarding sampling & audio based workflow...

😂 i can see Cubasis is upsetting you a lot.
    Audio routing don’t seem to be a big job.
    it’s a bit strange a company like Steinberg hasn’t added it yet
    since we already have side chain, multi out and group tracks.
    The ideas of drag and drop and your suggested AUv3 as input have been sent over to Steinberg.
    Lets keep our fingers crossed that our wishes are answered 😊

• edited September 2021

@tahiche said:

@Samu said:

I’ve just spent ages writing a long diatribe - rewriting it over & over - that basically said the same.

Watching that 1st video I just thought “why?”. All that faffing about setting up LK, adding that extra point of failure & flakiness, and for no reason or purpose.

I have had no “showstoppers” using Neon as it was originally intended (apart from the “launch the stand-alone 1st bug” - which was fixed the next day, and even that wasn’t a “showstopper”).

• @Paa89 said:

😂 i can see Cubasis is upsetting you a lot

Yeah, but that's the way things are...
    ...midi-editing is feature wise still not even on par with Cubase from mid 90s.
    (I used to run Cubase Score on a PowerMac 7200/90 way, way back in time, still got the license floppy in a box).

When Cubase Score VST update arrived it got audio editing and even that has an edge over the audio editing in Cubasis minus the time-stretch which was not available. (ZPlane was not even around back then).

My first introduction to sampling was AudioMaster II on the Amiga 1000 which was used back then to sample sounds for use in Sonix and later on the various trackers. (I don't count recording audio from the tape on the C64 and storing it as 1-bit data played back messing with the volume register of the SID chip).

As for iPads it all started with an iPad 2 ~10 years ago.

Don't mind me when I'm in 'grumpy mode' :smiley:

Gosh, I'm starting to get old ain't I? :sunglasses:

• @Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

The ideas of drag and drop and your suggested AUv3 as input have been sent over to Steinberg.

If you want to trigger Neon in Cubasis. Why not just use the Cubasis sequencer to send the note?. If you don’t need a daw timeline just use AUM + LK which is made for that. There might be a reason, if I can’t see it.

• edited September 2021

@tahiche said:

@Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

If you want to trigger Neon in Cubasis. Why not just use the Cubasis sequencer to send the note?. If you don’t need a daw timeline just use AUM + LK which is made for that. There might be a reason, if I can’t see it.

@attakk @tahiche
    This video wasn’t intended to broadcast Neon as a clip launcher. I my self mainly use it as an editor or recorder.
    The video was made in response to a question someone asked “if it were possible to use Lk in Cubasis with Neon” . Can it be done ? yes. is it useful? that is for individuals to decided 😊.
    In Cubasis you can definitely do this by using the keyboard, but it looks like LK offers much more controlls.
    And plus one might not own AUM and just want to experiment with some ideas.

• edited September 2021

@Paa89 said:

@tahiche said:

@Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

@attakk @tahiche
    This video wasn’t intended to broadcast Neon as a clip launcher. I my self mainly use it as an editor or recorder.
    The video was made in response to a question someone asked “if it were possible to use Lk in Cubasis with Neon” . Can it be done ? yes. is it useful? that is for individuals to decided 😊.
    In Cubasis you can definitely do this by using the keyboard, but it looks like LK offers much more controlls.

The answer to the original question (“what’s the best way to launch Neon clips in Cubasis?”) is simply “trigger the midi note for each clip using a Cubasis midiclip”.

The answer to “I wonder if LK would work?” is simply “why use LK when Cubasis has all the midi tools needed built in?”

That would have saved someone claiming Neon has a showstopper bug when in reality it hasn’t when used sensibly (and is probably a LK issue anyway).

• edited September 2021

@attakk said:

@Paa89 said:

@tahiche said:

@Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

@attakk @tahiche

The answer to the original question (“what’s the best way to launch Neon clips in Cubasis?”) is simply “trigger the midi note for each clip using a Cubasis midiclip”.

No doubts the best way.

The answer to “I wonder if LK would work?” is simply “why use LK when Cubasis has all the midi tools needed built in?”

This is subjective, one might want to experiment.

That would have saved someone claiming Neon has a showstopper bug when in reality it hasn’t when used sensibly (and is probably a LK issue anyway).

This bug is real and from Neon. i informed Paul about it and it has been fixed with other clip launching enhancements

• edited September 2021

@Paa89 said:

@attakk said:

@Paa89 said:

@tahiche said:

@Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

@tahiche said:

@attakk @tahiche

No doubts the best way.

This is subjective, one might want to experiment.

This bug is real and from Neon. i informed Paul about it and it has been fixed and awaiting release with other clip launching enhancements

It was indeed a bug, seems to be fixed with lastest update and happy using atom to launch neon clips. Still some work to get it 100% working for recording prefect loops. I can't find a way to overdub, which would be very useful too.

• edited September 2021