Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help a New MIDI user optimize live guitar performance

I decided to go to an all iPad music rig for guitar. I Just picked up a IK Blueboard to use in conjunction with audiobus and jamup/bias which i already have. I have a few questions about getting the setup to do what i want it to do. Keep in mind i have never used a MIDI controller before so clear explanations are appreciated! :)

I would like to be able to use jamup/bias along with a drum loop app so i can have some drum (and maybe other instrument) backing tracks. I don't really want to do any drum programming but i would like to be able to use the Blueboard to switch between drum parts (verse, chorus, back to verse). Is there any apps that would allow me to switch drum loops with the blueboard? How would i set up audiobus to do this? Also, can you use the blueboard to change drum loops and guitar patches in Bias at the same time by assigning different switches to each program?

As far as setup is concerned, i know Loopy HD is a popular app that i could add drum tracks to. Would this program work the best for what i describe? Do you need to be running a DAW like garageband for the output of the drum app and jamup? Sorry for the extensive questions but i am really hoping i can get this sorted out! Thanks!

Comments

• I should imagine amplitude will integrate quite well with the ik Blueboard since they are from the same company....

• Yes i believe so too. I am not as concerned with the board running with the guitar app i'm more concerned with running the drum tracks via foot controller. Or running guitar and drum tracks in conjunction.

• But amplitude has a built in drum track maker

• Oh okay i didn't realize that. Are they quality drum tracks or more like glorified metronomes? I have been doin some reading about drum loops HD which allows you to import the loops into Loopy which can be controlled by the blueboard. That may be my best option

• edited September 2015

Hi @tomsy49.

I know there was a bit of concern regarding using the Blueboard and Loopy but I just did a quick search for you and found this thread over at the Loopy Forum. I'd suggest going to last few posts of 2nd page and reading backwards, especially a post by 'The Loop Artist'

https://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/606/ik-multimedia-blueboard-loopy-hd/p2

There'll be much better qualified people here than me to give advice on your ideal setup, but Loopy is great and I think it'll be just what you need. Good luck with it all.

• can the blueboard control 2 apps at once? ie change a patch in bias fx and mute a loop with one button press?

• Yes it can control two apps at once as long as you use it inside of bias fx. I use bias fx with a blue board for gigs and use the quantiloop app for my looping. Works perfect!! Open bias fx app, click on "interapp" and load in quantiloop. I also use unrealbook app (not inside bias fx though) which, when I load a song/sheet music, sends a midi program change for that songs patch/amp/effects setup in bias fx. At the gig I then use the first 3 buttons on the Blueboard to control quantiloop app (3 buttons are set up for record/play, stop and clear. I use the 4th blueboard button to control a boost pedal in bias fx for my guitar solos). My bias fx amps are set up on the "crunchier" side of things and I use volume knob on my guitar to clean up the crunch if/when needed.

Sounds like a lot of steps but it is actually really easy. Once you load quantiloop thru the interapp, save the patch and you never have to go thru the interapp process again. It will save it as part of that patch.

Good luck and keep us posted!!