Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording out of Samplr?

edited August 2015 in General App Discussion

Hey all,

With all the Samplr love coming into focus lately, I'm wondering how people are able to successfully record out of Samplr for integration into a larger project in any DAWs (either iOS or Ableton).

I keep running into issues of timing, since Samplr doesn't play well with much MIDI sync. But I've also run into issues surrounding the SOUND of Samplr's output -- a lot of the effects and arpeggiating are much slower burning, with obvious audible "restarts" (popping or a reverb echo cutting out quickly) as the loop comes back around.

I ask because I've been using Samplr running on two different iPads for live performance, but the syncing is becoming a nightmare. I'd love to just record loops of my Samplr scenes into Ableton or Protein DK, but haven't found a clean way to do this.

Also, for clarity -- I don't want to just record Samplr's master. I want to effectively record each scene individually so I can trigger these at will in a larger structure (again, Ableton or Protein DK). Then, I can start and stop with stronger MIDI integration.

Any thoughts? Need clarification?

Thank you!

Comments

• For my Samplr scenes, at the moment I record individually each part into Audioshare, then trim them, then export for use in other apps and Daws. I'm recently having fun importing those parts into iKaossilator, arranging them in the list view as scenes and then exporting those as Ableton Live files. I'd also be interested in other workflows :)

We need multiple Audio outs from Samplr ideally. A while back in the samplr forum the dev said he was considering adding it, although this may now have become a mystical urban legend.... ;)

Have you tried syncing 2 Samplr's with iConnectAudio 4 or iconnectmidi ? I have and it seemed to work fine but havent tested it in a live setting.

• @dderks said:
    Hey all,

With all the Samplr love coming into focus lately, I'm wondering how people are able to successfully record out of Samplr for integration into a larger project in any DAWs (either iOS or Ableton).

I keep running into issues of timing, since Samplr doesn't play well with much MIDI sync. But I've also run into issues surrounding the SOUND of Samplr's output -- a lot of the effects and arpeggiating are much slower burning, with obvious audible "restarts" (popping or a reverb echo cutting out quickly) as the loop comes back around.

i work with the first issue by syncing samplr's clock to ableton live over musicIO. the clock stays steady enough to be recorded, but i still have to disable the delay unit in samplr because tiny jitters in the clock mess with samplr's delay and produce ticks.

for the second issue, what you can do is record a long loop of your samplr output, like if it's a 4-bar loop record 8 or 16 bars, then when it's in ableton you have it start from bar 0 but only loop bars 5-8, if that makes any sense. i did this in ableton for my latest thing and it worked out alright, i'd imagine you can do it in any other DAW as well.

• I use Cubasis to record Samplr.I just set the bpm the same and use the free app "FreEWI" to let Samplr listen to start and stop midi commands and its stays in sync for a long time.Also tried midibridge but it goes out of sync very quick.FreEWI saved me a lot of midi frustrations with Samplr.You only need to launch Freewi and let it run in the background.

• edited August 2015

@Carnbot said:
    For my Samplr scenes, at the moment I record individually each part into Audioshare, then trim them, then export for use in other apps and Daws. I'm recently having fun importing those parts into iKaossilator, arranging them in the list view as scenes and then exporting those as Ableton Live files. I'd also be interested in other workflows :)

We need multiple Audio outs from Samplr ideally. A while back in the samplr forum the dev said he was considering adding it, although this may now have become a mystical urban legend.... ;)

Have you tried syncing 2 Samplr's with iConnectAudio 4 or iconnectmidi ? I have and it seemed to work fine but havent tested it in a live setting.

great tips on iKaossilator. might make that app a buy for me.

I keep considering iConnectAudio4, but I think that I am set with using audiomux to do my I/O with my Mac. unless there's something crazy I'm missing, it seems like I'd need my Mac still for live performances with iConnectAudio4.

• oh this is an amazing tip. I'm still new to Ableton, so didn't realize I could set conditional loop points. I just though the whole clip had to loop. awesome. thank you so much.

I'm also wondering if the MIDI clock sync is possible between ableton and Samplr on midimux? how do you get them talking on musicIO?

• @Proto said:
    I use Cubasis to record Samplr.I just set the bpm the same and use the free app "FreEWI" to let Samplr listen to start and stop midi commands and its stays in sync for a long time.Also tried midibridge but it goes out of sync very quick.FreEWI saved me a lot of midi frustrations with Samplr.You only need to launch Freewi and let it run in the background.

you guys know a ton about Samplr's MIDI. and the iPad's MIDI, I'd imagine. I've never gotten Samplr to talk to any other app as master. is it only a slave in your set ups?

• Yes,when I try to use the midi clock to sync the clock goes crazy..I hope the Dev gonna fix this in the future . Samplr 2 also OK.

• @dderks said:
    I keep considering iConnectAudio4, but I think that I am set with using audiomux to do my I/O with my Mac. unless there's something crazy I'm missing, it seems like I'd need my Mac still for live performances with iConnectAudio4.

No that's one of the benefits of the ica4+ you can sync two ipads together and use it without a Mac/pc
    Unless you want to sync to and/or record to a computer, the only time you need the pc is for the setting up the control panel of connections, but the ios app is on it's way.

• I've had really good luck with Loopy and Samplr. I haven't tried Samplr with Midiflow's clock, but it works great with other apps.

@Proto Thanks for the Cubasis tip. I just bought that with the last sale and am still figuring out how to get it to be my main DAW. I never could get Samplr to work with BM2.

• +1 for loopy as master sync for samplr and whatever you are syncing it to

• i agree there. loopy has a very very stable clock. samplr seems very sensitive to bad clocks as you'll see the bpm jitter up and down by a few tenths of a bpm, but loopy stays constant.

• @BvsMV said:
    I've had really good luck with Loopy and Samplr.

BM2 midi is terrible.My advice dont waste your time with the midi setup in BM2 or you wil have a very bad day.

Last time i tried loopy it got out of sync very fast.After reading this i tried again and it works now.Thanks for the info.

• edited August 2015

edit: nvm, figured it out 10 seconds later. this is great, thank you so much for the tip!

hey @Proto -- once you choose FreEwi as an incoming clock for Samplr, how do you configure it so it'll listen to MIDI events from Cubasis?

• for any folks who want a quick way to align the clocks between Samplr and Ableton for recording -- FreEwi + midimux is the way to do it. just load up FreEwi and Samplr, choose FreEwi as Samplr's clock, then load up midimux. deselect Samplr's "destination" link through midimux and load your Ableton MIDI settings. under the output for FreEwi, enable "track" and "sync" and any time you press play on Ableton, the master play button on Samplr will enable. really steady and reliable.

• @dderks said:
    edit: nvm, figured it out 10 seconds later. this is great, thank you so much for the tip!

hey Proto -- once you choose FreEwi as an incoming clock for Samplr, how do you configure it so it'll listen to MIDI events from Cubasis?

Good to hear it works.

• @dderks said:
    for any folks who want a quick way to align the clocks between Samplr and Ableton for recording -- FreEwi + midimux is the way to do it. just load up FreEwi and Samplr, choose FreEwi as Samplr's clock, then load up midimux. deselect Samplr's "destination" link through midimux and load your Ableton MIDI settings. under the output for FreEwi, enable "track" and "sync" and any time you press play on Ableton, the master play button on Samplr will enable. really steady and reliable.

Interesting. Perhaps this could work in other contexts... What's FreEwi's clock like then? Stable?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 -- very. spent an hour with it, syncing between Ableton and Samplr. worked like a dream. really opens up possibilities.

• @Proto said:
    Yes,when I try to use the midi clock to sync the clock goes crazy..I hope the Dev gonna fix this in the future . Samplr 2 also OK.

My workaround:
    Open funkbox.
    Set clock out on coremidi
    Sampler will lock in perfect and not drift.

You can send midi clock from hardware or a pc/mac DAW into funkbox then send it back out to samplr.

• edited August 2015

@MirEko said:
    You can send midi clock from hardware or a pc/mac DAW into funkbox then send it back out to samplr.

I dont have Funkbox,but it also works with Loopy the same way and with a stable clock.
    (I use Cubasis on the ipad to record samplr and i never tested this with a pc to sync)

• Have you tried syncing 2 Samplr's with iConnectAudio 4 or iconnectmidi ? I have and it seemed to work fine but havent tested it in a live setting.

Has anyone come across a solution for routing audio back into samplr from ableton/another daw?

• edited October 2015

@Proto said:
    I use Cubasis to record Samplr.I just set the bpm the same and use the free app "FreEWI" to let Samplr listen to start and stop midi commands and its stays in sync for a long time.

That is a great tip for dealing with Samplr's jittery clock sync, thank you!

What a great tool. I've done the poor mans midi sync a lot, just pressing play on two devices at the same time, and been impressed how the timing usually doesn't drift. The only trick is starting them at exactly the same time, and this sounds like the trick.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Interesting. Perhaps this could work in other contexts... What's FreEwi's clock like then? Stable?

It sounds like it isn't a clock, it just passes on the start/stop midi commands, and you rely on the steadiness of the two independent program's clocks.

• edited October 2015

@Processaurus said:

True. It wil only give start and stop commands.Since i updated to ios 8 i found out that Midibridge works the best for syncing the midiclock with Samplr.When i pres play in Cubasis,Samplr starts and syncs perfect to the tempo of Cubasis and stays in sync forever .So if you wanna have a real time midi sync use Midibridge as a local host.

• I'm not getting any sync with Loopy for some reason, did you guys do anything in particular besides setting MIDI clock input to Loopy in Samplr and enabling MIDI sync in Loopy?

• @alexfsu said:
    I'm not getting any sync with Loopy for some reason, did you guys do anything in particular besides setting MIDI clock input to Loopy in Samplr and enabling MIDI sync in Loopy?

2 years ago but for completeness' sake and because the issue has come up recently again: Samplr will apparently only accept MIDI clock from external gear, i.e. a hardware MIDI interface.
    To sync it to apps you'll have to use an intermediate "MIDI bus" like e.g. MidiBridge or the free FreEWI.
    Samplr syncs perfectly to hardware, with iOS apps you'll need an app that sends stable MIDI clock. Loopy does.

• Just tick virtual midi sync in loopy and enable loopy reception in Samplr.

You might still get a slight mismatch for the first second or so but OK afterwards.

• @rs2000 said:

@alexfsu said:
    I'm not getting any sync with Loopy for some reason, did you guys do anything in particular besides setting MIDI clock input to Loopy in Samplr and enabling MIDI sync in Loopy?

2 years ago but for completeness' sake and because the issue has come up recently again: Samplr will apparently only accept MIDI clock from external gear, i.e. a hardware MIDI interface.
    To sync it to apps you'll have to use an intermediate "MIDI bus" like e.g. MidiBridge or the free FreEWI.
    Samplr syncs perfectly to hardware, with iOS apps you'll need an app that sends stable MIDI clock. Loopy does.

Samplr accepts midi clock from midi link sync as well. So you can make it play along with pretty much any link enabled app using it. And using Aum you can record perfectly cut loops with ableton link.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@alexfsu said:

Samplr accepts midi clock from midi link sync as well. So you can make it play along with pretty much any link enabled app using it. And using Aum you can record perfectly cut loops with ableton link.

@JohnnyGoodyear This is a tip for The Binder of Wisdom.

• edited January 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@alexfsu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear This is a tip for The Binder of Wisdom.

Duly noted. I have also added to your own Progress Report that you casually throw around accepts midi clock from midi link sync without an eye-lash bat these days. Even those of us at the very back of the class are proud of how you have moved your desk far closer to the front than we will ever know...

• edited January 2018

@Processaurus said:

@Proto said:
    I use Cubasis to record Samplr.I just set the bpm the same and use the free app "FreEWI" to let Samplr listen to start and stop midi commands and its stays in sync for a long time.

That is a great tip for dealing with Samplr's jittery clock sync, thank you!

What a great tool. I've done the poor mans midi sync a lot, just pressing play on two devices at the same time, and been impressed how the timing usually doesn't drift. The only trick is starting them at exactly the same time, and this sounds like the trick.

That's old school beat matching and Cubasis (lacking Link still for some reason) forces you to do that.

You can make it easier by using Audiobus, having the side transport control overlay. I'm using this technique with GR16 at the moment.

The nice thing about Cubasis is you can trim it and lock it in with timestretch afterwards.

Tip: set Cubasis' counting to 2 bars in the settings. Also you can do punch in out recording so it will start stop record inside your loop markers (giving you time to "sync" through the pop up menu in the metronome button.