Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Live MIDI looper to compliment Loopy?

Is there any app out there that can serve as a MIDI looper, that could sync to Loopy and compliment its audio loops? I'm looking for something that can behave very similar to Loopy but can record my performance as MIDI rather than audio, so that I can then tweak the apps while my notes play back, or quantize my sloppy timing automatically. Even better if I can let my first loop in Loopy dictate the tempo to the MIDI looper.

Gadget is close to this except there is no MIDI control of transport, record start stop, length, etc like I get with Loopy.

I think all of this is going to be part of Loopy Masterpiece, right? But is there anything that can do this now?

Comments

• I think we had this discussion recently and concluded that surprisingly there wasn't one

• I asked the Developer of MidiBand 3.1, to see if an app like that is possible to program. Got a positive response to look into it.
    Right now I can do something similar with Midiband, but it has to be predetermined or pre made midi loops, mostly drums. It actually works with chords too but in this case they are also pre made chord loops looping on the 12 buttons or pads within Midiband. I'm still learning this app but it can be made better too.

• If I wasn't avoiding tempo syncing iOS apps I would probably try Genome or Pro Midi

• Genome can send or receive MIDI Clock. I haven't tried it with Loopy HD though. It looks like it might work?

• @bsantoro said:
    Genome can send or receive MIDI Clock. I haven't tried it with Loopy HD though. It looks like it might work?

Haven't tried it since Genome v1 but these two used to sync well.

Seems like the ideal solution, other than Masterpiece coming out, is an app that will allow you to set up matching MIDI controls so that 'new track' and 'rerecord' and the like will work on both at the same time.

• I tried it with Genome. It does work well; they match tempo. I have Loopy HD as the master clock and Genome set to receive external clock. Loopy HD starts and stops both apps; but if you stop Genome, LoopyHD keeps running.

• edited August 2015

Firo (Fiddlewax Pro) - midi looper, midi learn - somebody with more experience could try it, especially with the record/start/stop on/off triggers ...

• Auxy? It seems to work with anything you throw at it.

• modstep when it's released

• What about thumbjam? That app does everything, it might do this?

• Palm sounds midi thing

• edited August 2015

To my knowledge this one is the only MIDI looper app available for iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midiloop/id973104402?mt=8

It's iPad-only (but the UI would easily fits on the iPhone's screen). If I remember correctly it was first a free app, but now you have to pay 10 bucks. I really can't understand why there are no more MIDI loopers available for iOS.

• Midi sync is still no go for midi works. Too unstable.

• edited August 2015

Loopy Masterpiece. I'll just wait patiently for it.

I bought Genome hoping it would be the answer, but I could never figure it out. I could not find a way to remotely arm different tracks, record, etc.

It has to be very easy for me to truly like it. And Loopy is both easy to use while being deep with features and options.

• @gburks, here is a preset for loopy and firo, if you're interested:

Audiobus preset 'Filoo': http://preset.audiob.us/ks7sgGWz4p2XtFw

I am not very versed with loopin', so you have to tweak it further, it's only a sketch;
    on the drum pads the first row from left to right contains 'record, mute, re-record,
    overdub' (I hope), the second row 'mute', the third 'previous and next' track.

Please let me know if it's of any use for you, and how it could be improved.

• @MirEko said:
    What about thumbjam? That app does everything, it might do this?

It does indeed (record midi with audio). Not sure about midi control of the looper's start/clear/new track... but I wouldn't be surprised if it were there!

• @syrupcore said:
    It does indeed (record midi with audio). Not sure about midi control of the looper's start/clear/new track... but I wouldn't be surprised if it were there!

I could be wrong but I think ThumbJams recorded midi loops are for export only, it doesn't play midi loops only audio.

• @firejan82 said:
    I could be wrong but I think ThumbJams recorded midi loops are for export only, it doesn't play midi loops only audio.

Correct. Just for capture/export but for the 'fix my flub later' use case, it could work. Not sure if it supports 'open in' or if they are still only available via FTP or iTunes—I haven't used the feature in a few years.

• I'd use Genome for this. Only downsize is that when creating a new clip, it won't automatically start on the 1 with Loopy, I have to stop and restart Loopy for this usually.

• I got a lot of mileage out of Loopy synced with Gadget last night. No transport or hands free control, but sync with Loopy is super tight. Realtime quantize, Loopy can set tempo from first loop, and it's easy to build song structure changes in Gadget by "working ahead" on upcoming song sections.

Has anyone tried syncing Loopy with Retronyms Tabletop? I'm going to give it a shot later. I think I could get hands free control with midi mapping in TT, if it all syncs. TT can only be a clock master, not slave, right? How does Loopy do as slave rather than master clock?

• If that's the case @gburks then that's exactly what the man wants. Any daw is a looper in loop mode ;)

• @supadom said:
    Any daw is a looper in loop mode ;)

No kidding. The closest I have come to the ideal setup before this was just Cubasis in loop mode. But there are too many problems, like weird loud noises sometimes when you hit the quantize button, things going completely haywire when you hit Undo, etc.

A DAW in loop mode with midi-mappable everything, including preset loop sections, is the dream... Loopy Masterpiece?

• Man, I returned cubasis after one day. Gadget is a dream come true midi sequencer and a decent sound module. If it had separate outs for sugar bytes tweaking it would be amazing. But synced with loopy it has a huge potential.

We're very close to something super tight but I don't think loopy ME will be with us much before the next summer.

• edited August 2015

Ok, I copied this from the loopy forum for three loops, ....

1: Toggle Mute Track 1 (Clear Track 1)

2: Toggle Mute Track 3 (Clear Track 3)

3: Toggle Mute Track 5 (Clear Track 5)

4: Reset Session

5: Pause and Restart

6: Toggle Record and Overdub T1

7: Toggle Record and Overdub T3

8: Toggle Record and Overdub T5

9: Hi-Band Filter (Audiobus)*

10: Lo-Band Pass (Audiobus)*

... are these the correct bindings?
    (Excuse me, if I may ask one of you;)

• So sorry to be really dumb - but what are getting from syncing loopy with Gadget?

What's being recorded into (or played out of) loopy?

Gadget can be put in loop mode, can record itself and has pretty much unlimited tracks. So what do you need Loopy for? Other synths?

• Guitar and vocals. And yes, other synths. Gadget is filling a gap for me right now but it really doesn't behave like a looper like Loopy does.

If I could tap on a pedal on the first beat of my performance, play a measure or two, tap the pedal again and have Gadget set the tempo for the rest of the song, then it would be a looper like Loopy. If I could map midi control to its transport, arm tracks, start/stop loops, etc. Also if it had IAA to sequence other synths, it would be there.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    So sorry to be really dumb - but what are getting from syncing loopy with Gadget?

What's being recorded into (or played out of) loopy?

Gadget can be put in loop mode, can record itself and has pretty much unlimited tracks. So what do you need Loopy for? Other synths?

• Ah, got you...

Yep - would be very nice if it did all that.

• What pedal do you use?

@gburks said:
    Guitar and vocals. And yes, other synths. Gadget is filling a gap for me right now but it really doesn't behave like a looper like Loopy does.

If I could tap on a pedal on the first beat of my performance, play a measure or two, tap the pedal again and have Gadget set the tempo for the rest of the song, then it would be a looper like Loopy. If I could map midi control to its transport, arm tracks, start/stop loops, etc. Also if it had IAA to sequence other synths, it would be there.